1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Backing up your files.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SEbasic, Sep 26, 2004.

Backing up your data on XP

OK, so I mentioned to Anthony that I often back up my my files because of a bad experience I have previously had...

He thought it might be a good idea to let other people know how easy it is to actually perform this (mundane) task.

So - Here is the thread... If anyone has better ways of performing this task, I'd really love to hear it - you can never be TOO safe when it comes to your files ;)

SO, this is how I backup my stuff... It is fairly straightforward (As long as you have the bundled backup software with XP... For users of older windows versions, I really don't have any experience and couldn't give you an awful lot of help - I hope someone else here can also fill me in on what you should be doing.

SO...

Firstly, if you are an XP Home user, I suggest that you shck to see that you have the backup software instaalled... I wasn't previously aware of thuis, but it seems that it doesn't come on every new machine (Especially if windows came pre-installed).

To check, go to >>Start>>Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Backup

If it isn't there, you probabally don't have it installed, so get out your XP disk, go to the run prompt under the start menu, and look for this..

D:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

IF it is on the CD (Which aparantly it isn't always), then locate the file ntbackup.msi and install it...

The Backup utility is somewhat self explanatory as you go through it...

The first time you use it, I suggest that you follow the wizard - as this really is the easiest way.

Once you have selected to use the wizard, the prompt will ask you exactly what you would like to backup... Personally, I would go for "all information on this computer". THis way, should anything happen, you will still have everything...

The next screen asks you where you would like to backup to... If you have a hard drive partition, you may want to save it top there, but bear in mind that if your PC is cought in a fire or whatever, this whjole exercise will have been pretty useless. So I suggest that you save to CD's (Or preferably DVD's if you can).

Once you have selected where you would like the files stored, you will be taken to the next screen. Press Finish to complete the wizard, and you're done (Well, after you wait around for the files to transfer ;))

Like I say, this is fairly basic, but it works for me....

MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR FILES!!!!!

SO - who can show me a more efficient way of doing this?

SEbasic, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  2. awddesign

awddesign Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi

this should also apply to your web site as well.

PHP Website Backup Version 1.1
    AB Webservices w w w.absoft-my.com/pondok

We have tryed it and tested and it's great.

Al

awddesign, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  3. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    I use a free little program called ezback-it-up. I've never liked the archive method of backing up, as it always took too long to find and restore what i needed. If I need to restore something, I generally need it RIGHT AWAY. So I bought a little external hard drive (rather than annoying tape drive), and the backup program copies all my important info over to the external hard drive every night. No compression, no weird formats. Just a straight dump. If I need something restored, I just move it over. Simple and straightforward. The program I use (which I searched for for a long time) is not an archival tool that compresses all your files and folders into one file, but instead, it copies your data to a destination of your choice where you can readily access your backed up files any time you need. All directory structure is preserved. You can get it at www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/index.php

dazzlindonna, Sep 26, 2004 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Anything is possible, lightning, theft, fire in your building, viruses or malware that could turn your box into a zombie.

Removable hard drives, great if you want to open up your computer and have spare CD bays to put the removable drives in.

One touch Maxtor back up device, but your computer has to have certain USB or USB2 plugs to use that.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-208&depa=0

There are a lot of ways to back up data, my friend had a tape drive and when his computer was stolen, he was able to restore his companies data on a new box the next day.

anthonycea, Sep 26, 2004 IP