1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

<b> vs. <strong> any SEO difference?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Infiniterb, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    The same is true of <emp> and <i>.

Cryogenius, Jan 8, 2007 IP
  2. TatiAnA

TatiAnA Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I've read somewhere that <STRONG> is more preferable when it comes to search engines other than <bold> since this is W3Cs standard.

TatiAnA, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  3. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not aware of any difference between the 2 types at SEO level. I would be surprised if there was one.

Regards

Mihai, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  4. genkied

genkied Active Member

Best Answers:
    genkied, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    1. They are W3C proposals for standards, NOT standards.

2. Search engines and their spiders don't give a damn about W3C.

3. Neither do most human visitors.

minstrel, Jan 10, 2007 IP
  6. deep_3657

deep_3657 Peon

Best Answers:
    Heres one experiment on this at http://london-seo.com/bold-vs-strong-keyword-weight/15/

<b> will render your text as bold
    <big> will render your text in a larger font

<strong> is the semantic equivalent to <b>. What does it mean? It means that 'bold' is how the text should visually appear. It's purely cosmetic and bear no meaning. On the other hand, 'strong' carries the meaning that text warp into such a tag is more important. (If it looks the same in your browser, it's simply because your browser's default style for the 'strong' tag is to make the text bold.)

That's where we enter the semantic concept of the web. Visual/cosmetic apperance makes sense for humans but not for machines. How should a machine know that a piece of text is more important than another? With bold, it's not such a big deal, but if you decide that important text is to be blue, normal text black and very important text red. As a human, you may find out, but the machine will never get a clue.

That's why tags such as 'b' and 'i' are depreciated in favor of respectively 'strong' and 'em' tags in XHTML. The purpose behind this is to help machines understand your content. XHTML being a step between HTML and XML.

Anyway, better i keep this short. If you want to know more, search for 'semantic web' in google.

deep_3657, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, the referenced "experiment" doesn't prove what the author believes it proves, i.e., that Google likes <B> better and MSN likes <STRONG> better.

All it "proves" is that both Google and MSN can recognize duplicate pages when they see them.

And it suggests that <b> versus <strong> is irrelevant.

If you are suggesting that modern spiders are not "smart" enough to understand that <b> and <strong>, and <i> and <em> are equivalent, I'm afraid you're living in that W3C dream world.

minstrel, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  8. TatiAnA

TatiAnA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like you've been following my posts all along buddy. lolz. I never said Google does seriously care about it. I'm talking about "preference" here pal. And that doesn't mean it's bad to use the <bold> either.

I agree with lunchbox when he said "My recommendation is to always follow the recommendations/standards set by the W3C".

TatiAnA, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  9. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think I will let my lazy side chose what to use and if you can't guess it will be <b> because it takes fewer key strokes. :D

Web Gazelle, Jan 11, 2007 IP
  10. Aces A

Aces A Peon

Best Answers:
    Hiya,

I am aware this thread is very old, but I was wondering if they are was any update on this issue?

Cheers,

AA

Aces A, Jun 30, 2009 IP
  11. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To my knowledge <strong> and <b> still get the same amount of weight in Google's ranking algorithm as does <i> and <em>. Not sure about the other engines. I personally prefer <strong> since it's the w3c recommendation.

Canonical, Jun 30, 2009 IP
  12. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    Using validated code that complies with W3C recommendations has always worked for me. strong and em

willybfriendly, Jun 30, 2009 IP
  13. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    You get rss readers that complain if you don;t use what the w3c tells you what you;re supposed to use. I'd stick with the strong and em tags.

theapparatus, Jun 30, 2009 IP