1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Avoiding keywords in optimization

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by cdx, Sep 15, 2004.

Hey hi...

I am making a list of keywords I want to concentrate on.
    My nitch is renting paris apartments for tourist, but when I realize this is going to be a very competitive area, I decided to get focused on something else. Since 5 of the apartments are located in 1 area, I am going to use this area as my main keyword.

This is where my question begins. If you are typing in google 'renting paris" you get tons of apatments for rent. Google assume that you are searching for apartments since it's the most desireable 'renting' in paris.
    Can I avoid 'Renting' as a keyword since it's already related to paris and apartments? or else I can use renting and skip 'apartments' as a keyword since my domain name has renting + paris .

I am trying to focus other words than those that people use milions of times. I want to make something more specific in order to avoid competition, so BIG words - I want to concentrate just on few of them and leave space for the new keywords (those more specific) ...

What's the best approach you would use if you were in my possition ?
    SEMrush
    Cheers.

Guy.

cdx, Sep 15, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yuo can only avoid them by forcing the user to search with -apartment... Which you can't. So you have to live with it. Go for the area + apartment-alternative phrase and optimise for that. Or declare war on the biggies and go for paris + area + apartment anyway.

T0PS3O, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  3. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    if i have understood your question correctly - i would keep searching using overture and wordtracker until you come up with a phrase which has less competition (usually but not always lower traffic keywords) - if you are saying that the a keyphrase containing the word "renting" has too much competetion then look for ones using other forms of the word eg "for rent" or "rental/s" - then most of the competition targetting "renting" will not rank highly (unless renting is a word google stems - which i don't think it is)also if you can narrow the area of paris down even more then your other words representing the area in your keyphrase (eg paris) could be changed too ( the keyphrase won't be as high traffic as one with paris in - but the chances there will be less competetion and what traffic you do get will be more qualified. alternatively look for other ways of describing what you "selling" eg "accommodation in *area of paris*" or "vacation homes in *area of paris*".

this is probably not what you meant but i hope it helps anyway.

fluke, Sep 15, 2004 IP
  4. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Here are the numbers:

paris france 664

paris apartments 325

renting an apartment in paris 3

renting flat in paris 2

and here is the competitive analysis:

"paris apartments"
    3.311 [KEI analysis - needs to be above 10 as a good keyword chance]