1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Avoid streamlinenet

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sifu, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    Buddy you are too funny. :D

Skinny

Skinny, Oct 30, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I'm glad you've finally made it over to DP, home of Streamlinenet Web Hosting discussions and so much more ;)

heh

Blogmaster, Oct 30, 2005 IP
    Ade355 likes this.
  3. aktar@servicetender.com

aktar@servicetender.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I can agree with your reservation there.

I think streamline has managed to make themselves look far worse than what original thread intended. Obviously DP doesn't dictate everying that their useres writes. So in that respect I think sreamline is grearing up to score an own goal because the allegation against DP is weightless.

But lets have look in a different perspective:

If the user did have a technical problem with this company, and emailed them with regards to this matter, then I'm fairly sure that the row could have been contained.

I am assuming that the user did not persue this course otherwise it probably would not have come this far; and out of frustration, they decided to come to DP and start 'bad mouthing' this company.

Now let me ask you a question in return :)

How would you feel if one of your user came to DP, a very popular forum and attempted scratch your reputation without proper consultation?

aktar@servicetender.com, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  4. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    It's actually very easy for emails to a support@ email address to go amiss. They drop into a ticket system (or whatever) and they can magically vanish - I know I've seen this first hand. Sometimes it's something as simple as a support tech accepting them into their queue then going away for a week - if they system is sophisticated enough it can recognise that subsequent emails from the same user are the same problem and thus attach them to the same trouble ticket (who's owner is away so no one else gets to see them).
    According to the original messge (iirc) the user was complaining that they'd sent emails with no reply - I don't know over what kind of period though.

Probably the same as most people. I have had to defend the reputation of companies I've worked for (and hence my reputation) on various mail lists and without exception, if something had gone wrong it's best to admit it and learn from the error. There are ways of coming out of a 'user problem', where the company was at fault, without making the company look completely incompetent and ignorant.
    Without doubt, I would never threaten legal action without consulting a lawyer first.

jlawrence, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Actually, in the State of California it is illegal to threaten legal action without actually pursuing it. Until last week I wasn't aware of the fact that Streamlinenet Hosting was actually located in the U.K. It was a surprise to me, when Shawn mentioned they were threatening with a lawsuit, I automatically assumed they were in California (hehe)..

Anyways, here is the original post again from Sifu.

And to respond to the question on how I would feel if I was or my services were being talked about like that:

My energy would be focused on fixing it. If you search for Streamlinenet, you will find many stories like the ones that the original poster has posted. This seems to be an ongoing issue. If things have gotten magically better in the past 6 months, well maybe they have learned to listen to their customers.
    But I see no excuse for a company to not deliver the services promised and then turn around and threaten legally. Are the laws different in the U.K. regarding what you can and what you can't say about a service? Appearently Sifu is located there as well, and for some reason they must have gotten to him, otherwise he would have not put up such a horrible, phoney apologetic post about how he was wrong and they were right.
    Kind of reminds me to some movie scene where the killer made his victims write a suicide note at gun point before taking them out.

Blogmaster, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  6. pinkbeef

pinkbeef Guest

Best Answers:
    I made the same mistake and got a domain from them. if you need help to defend aginst legal problems. Email me. I lost a good contract, becouse of the site problems I had.

pinkbeef, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  7. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but at the moment Im not worried. I still havent used the domain. I put up a page after this thread and the page is stilll there.

If anything chances i'll let you know :)

Design Agent, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  8. nicktw

nicktw Peon

Best Answers:
    I found out that somehow my domain name was parked with Streamlinenet. Don't ask me how but apparently I signed up for a trial user account whilst I was hosted elsewhere - why would I?

I was looking to move my hosting since my original service (host4apound.co.uk) were non reachable and over the last few months had experienced quite a lot of down time.

I asked Streamline.net to host my account and they eventually responded that they could but it would cost me £15 to transfer my domain. Initially I said go ahead but after researching the net I was able to telephone, in the middle of the night and speak to, a customer services representative from fasthosts.co.uk

They advised me that there was no need to transfer my domain since the registration had just been renewed for another year through my old host and that I sinmply needed a hosting package which they promptly set up for me.

I advised Streamline net of this and told them to cancel my previous instructions. They were also asked to park and delete my domain which is a standard request.

Some 12 hours later they confirmed that this had been done for me.

Imagine my surprise to find that contrary to my instructions they had charged my Card £15 for a domain transfer!!! They have not transferred it and have no authority to do so. It belongs to me and will be registered when it expires next year with whom I choose.

What a bunch of shysters streamline net are.

One interesteing thing came to light, look at their website, all their wonderful servers in Gloucester and Reading ??? They dont belong to them they belong to fasthosts.co.uk and streamline net are just a reseller of fasthosts services. Yup you and I can set up a reseller business just like streamline net with o outlay and 3 months free.

The moral - avoid Streamlinenet and go direct the service is amazing and there is a real person at the end of the phone line 24/7. Oh and the cost to transfer a domain to fasthosts ?? zilch, rien, nada, nothing!!!!!

nicktw, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  9. samson1

samson1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I signed up with Streamline net a couple of months ago - and for awhile everything was fine, I didn’t have any downtime and was reasonably happy with the price I thought I had paid, I got the domain name I wanted and even bought another.

Then I got billed for my web hosting from streamlineNet a few days ago.
    The charged me more than twice what I signed up for - then they decided to bill me again for the same package, but kindly decided to add an extra £10 to the total? So I have now paid TWICE for the same package and just to add insult to injury, I have also been overcharged TWICE!

So anyway, I contacted them and they told me 'how confused I was' and that I actually had 3 accounts with them? which, of course, I do not.

I then spent the next few days trying to contact them and got nowhere. I eventually got bored and gave up and decided to contact some other people.

Firstly I contacted my credit card company and instructed them to chargeback StreamlineNet's bogus charges (oh by the way I almost forgot to mention when I checked my credit card statement, I had received yet ANOTHER random charge from, yep you've guessed it streamlineNet!).
    I have copies of the invoices from them [streamlineNet] and have sent them of to the creditcard company who will reverse these charges, and hopefully StreamlineNet will be charged a fee for this too :). I have also instructed my credit card company not to accept any further charges from StreamlineNet

Then, I decided to contact trading standards about streamline's practices, I told then how they had made several unauthorised transactions to my credit card and overcharged me by over £100. I am not sure yet if this is actually illegal? It should be, and if I do find out that it is when trading standard get back to me, I will also be contacting the police.

If anyone else out there has similar problems with this company I would encourage them to do the same. But I a far from finished yet - I think I am going to contact every consumer watchdog group and agency I can find. I am also going to pay them a visit in person.

So there you have it - I am yet another one of streamlineNet's unsatisfied customers, but not for much longer, once I have got my money back I will use Fasthosts.

Finally for anyone who stumbles upon this thread before they sign up with streamlineNet - DONT. Generally people don’t waste there time writing complaint threads unless they have a reason. StreamlineNet are my reason - and I am not alone - I wish I had see this page before I signed up.

AVOID THIS COMPANY LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Pay the extra few quid for a reputable company. I wish I had.

samson1, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  10. kestrel

kestrel Peon

Best Answers:
    I do am having big problems with this company.

I found this site through searching for Streamlines telephone number (one that they actually answer) if anyone has it I would be grateful if someone could PM.

I foolishly saw their telephone number on their homepage, and took that to be their customer support.

Anyway, at first they were quite helpful and flexible. Changing the domain and account name for me.

But so many problems, and without a telephone number, and they only answer your support tickets sometimes.

Problems included:
    new domains not being setup
    being charged for services that weren't activated or received
    mysql database going down

Anyway, the main problem is that they don't let you configure the .htaccess file, which I believe is something to do with a security measure on fasthosts.co.uk

I have requested a transfer to another provider (fuzioned.com, fingers crossed they're good, although they have come to me recommended).
    This has already taken a long time, I called up fasthosts.co.uk who say that it normally takes 5-8 days. Not too happy.

kestrel, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I'm assuming that thru searching Google for Streamlinenet
    is how you guys have found us. I wonder if they have enough lawyers to shut all of you down. Heck, maybe Piano Man is going to come back and pay some of his buddies a couple of bucks to pretend being satisfied

Streamlinenet

clients ;)

Blogmaster, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  12. Pugwash

Pugwash Peon

Best Answers:
    I am with Streamline and all seemed fine except lots of contacts asked why I was not returning emails. I checked and this had been happening for a few months. I raised a support ticket with Streamline who seemed to ignore it then after a month closed the ticket.:confused:
    I found that the Emails were appearing on the server and being deleted sometimes within 30 seconds.
    The problem is that you tend not to realise you're loosing Emails when you receive some.
    I have been monitoring the Emails via the web interface and some have lasted upto 3 days, others less than 30 seconds.
    Anyone else noticed this happening.
    Ensure your Email client doesn't remove the emails from the server then check using the web interface weekly to see if they still exist.

Pugwash, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  13. naffedoff

naffedoff Guest

Best Answers:
    Right,
    I have just taken the time to register purely so that I can add my F***ing two pennies worth. Streamlinenet are RUBBISH!!!!
    I have worked in a tech support position for many years and I know exactly how to treat clients with issues.
    I made a very foolish mistake of taking out a hosting package with them. Not just the basic package but an advanced package. All hosting co's give free mysql db's with their packages but not streamlinenet, no , you have to pay for them. each and evry f***ing one of them. With hand on my heart, I swear on gods life, I am purely a customer of theirs. That is all. I knew i'd made a big mistake very soon after i'd taken out the package with them. DO NOT do it. Phones DO NOT get answered, email answers are in as few words as possible, bordering on rude.
    I have no more reason for this post, other than i hope you take my advice and do not waste your time and money on this shi*e company.THEY OFFER SO MUCH LESS THAN THEIR COMPETITIORS.
    Check out www.ukhost4u.com They could not fit any more features into their packages if they tried. AND, they answer the phone, they even rebooted a server for me while i was on the phone to them. 110% quality. Ditch the rubbish and spend your money on a quality service. I would love to post my contact details but unfortunately, I still have a domain hosted by this cowboy outfit. As soon as I have managed to get it transfered i'll come back and lay my cards on the table. NO SMOKE WITHOUT FIRE FOR SURE!!

naffedoff, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    This is too good. They've gone through all the trouble to shut the first poster down. Can't hide from the truth,

Streamlinenet

The fact that they were trying to extort Digitalpoint is the funniest thing of them all. What a bullshit company ...

Where is my friend pianoplayer? He needs to serenade me to sleep again.

Blogmaster, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  15. Hooker

Hooker Peon

Best Answers:
    im not sure if this is dead etc but i just googled streamlinenet and found it and the last post seems to have been pretty recent so i think ill tag my story onto this on how they managed to con me out of around £250.

Going back a year and a half ago now maybe i had planned on getting space with streamlinenet after being told by a friend that they were pretty good (i really should have researched them more!) and they'd been hosting him for a long time with no problems, i had wanted the space for alot of software i was developing to sell and also to start a forum up for some of my friends. I emailed the company before signing up and was told all of that would be fine under their bulk user account so i bought one for 2 years costing me around £230 with VAT which seemed reasonable at the time, so about 14 days into being hosted by them a friend uploaded an image to the forum - this image to be exact:

http://images3.deviantart.com/i/2004/104/a/d/Penisaurus.jpg

admitedly its pretty childish but hardly obscene, well anyway first off they decided to completely ban my domain name and suspended my account for about a month, when i finnaly got an email through to them (after numerous ignored emails) they were happy to return the account to me aslong as i bought another domain... at this time i only really wanted to get some space left as i had to finnish a project for a client so i decided to get another domain which cost me around £15.

A few weeks lader i uploaded a few zip files (i had read through their terms and conditions when i first bought the account and it hadnt said anything about zip files) so a client could download and get the software they had bought of me, within a few hours of that my account was completely banned and after a long list of discussions they referrd me to their new terms and conditions (which they had literaly updated that day and hadnt informed anyone) and told me i was in breach, i contacted trading standards for help on the subject as im obviously no lawyer but after consulting a friend who is a lawyer i had been told they were in breach of the contract so trading standards said they would sort everything, after a few weeks of waiting i emailed andrew (the owner of SLN) and was told i wouldnt be getting my account back so i just cut my losses, even after a few more emails they wouldnt even let me transfer the domains away.

Now as it nears having to renew my account they have emailed me telling me the account is back open (this is over a year on) and given me 3 months free with an apology that their abuse department had been "backed up" with domains that had breached their agreement and only just managed to get round to mine.

They really are shocking, they may be able to keep a few customers happy and willing to come to their defense on forums like this but having been in contact with over 100 customers in similar positions from first opening my account to now they dont seem to be botherd keeping anyone else happy.

If you look at their terms and conditions now they really are radiculous and i can understand why their abuse dept have trouble getting through the suspended accounts.

Hooker, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  16. Haric

Haric Peon

Best Answers:
    Well they do say that if a customer is happy they will tell a friend and that if they are unhappy they will tell 10 people.

I have been with streamlinenet for over a year and have recommended them to many people. None has had a problem at all. Their only problem seems to be this forum. I almost started looking elsewhere when I saw this.

If YOU had your third listing on Google slagging you off like this you'd try to do something about it, and as for "shows a remarkable lack of knowledge of how the law works" Why should they have any knowledge of it? Are DP often sued? They seem to know all about it.

So I read this thread, raised a support ticket with stramlinenet voicing my concerns and guess what...
    Within the hour I got a phone call reasuring me that they can't do anything about these few complaints that have unfortunately got a good Google rating. Most of their customers are happy as am I and I will certainly go on using them.

Haric, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  17. aldo2006

aldo2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    StreamLineNet is the company behind DVDCode.net, which is a site that claims to "rent" chipped remotes for making your DVD player a multi-zone player.

Whois info for, dvdcodes.net:
    Registrant:
    StreamlineNet
    Castle Gresley
    Swadlincote, Derbyshire DE11 9HA
    GB

Domain name: DVDCODES.NET

Administrative Contact:
    StreamlineNet, StreamlineNet info@streamlinenet.co.uk
    Castle Gresley
    GB
    +4408709220699
    Technical Contact:
    StreamlineNet, StreamlineNet info@streamlinenet.co.uk
    Castle Gresley
    GB
    +4408709220699

Registration Service Provider:
    UK Reg, domains@fasthosts.co.uk
    +44 1452 541252
    +44 1452 538485 (fax)
    http://www.ukreg.com/

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Record last updated on 30-Sep-2005.
    Record expires on 10-Oct-2006.
    Record created on 10-Oct-2003.

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.LIVEDNS.CO.UK
    NS2.LIVEDNS.CO.UK

Domain status: REGISTRAR-LOCK​

I ordered one of their chipped remotes back at the start of March, and I've had nothing but excuses when I email them. Of course, there's no phone number to complain.

Here's a forum with a number of complaints about DVDCodes.net. Judging by the number of customer complaints there, it sounds like this is a scam too.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187099

aldo2006, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  18. Andy-V

Andy-V Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well I'm with them and everything is great. I was accidently billed too much but they refunded it within 2 days.

Andy-V, Apr 1, 2006 IP
  19. spacehoper

spacehoper Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm also with Streamline.Net. Been with them for over 2 years and have to say I think they are great and would recommend anyone. Also I just did a WHOIS and got this result:

Querying whois.internic.net]
    [Redirected to whois.opensrs.net]
    [Querying whois.opensrs.net]
    [whois.opensrs.net]
    Registrant:
    dvd codes
    12 maes y
    coed terrace
    denbigh, denbigh LL16 5PU
    GB

Domain name: DVDCODES.NET

Administrative Contact:
    davies, matthew sales@dvdcodes.net
    12 maes y
    coed terrace
    GB
    +4408709220699
    Technical Contact:
    davies, matthew sales@dvdcodes.net
    12 maes y
    coed terrace
    GB
    +4408709220699

Registration Service Provider:
    UK Reg, domains@fasthosts.co.uk
    +44 1452 541252
    +44 1452 538485 (fax)
    http://www.ukreg.com/

It seems Streamline only host the domain. You may want to contact Streamline in order to get the contact details of the webmaster...? Let me know if I can help any further?:)

spacehoper, Apr 7, 2006 IP
  20. bullmonkey

bullmonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    hi,
    i agree with the pianochap. I joined streamlinenet about 2 months ago. In the beginning I had a 2 or 3 hicupps logging in, but that, in their defence was just me being over hasty. If they continue providing me with the present level of service, I look forward to a long relationship

thnx jp:)

bullmonkey, Apr 16, 2006 IP