1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

avoid Plagiarism! How? confused

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by ifnawi, Sep 3, 2014.

hello everyone here
    as we know that a lot of websites duplicate the content found over the internet
    let's say that i want write an article about something ok? and the article's topic already out there in the web, so i read them and got ideas and i transformed them into an article of my own, is this referred as aplagiriasm? if so, why big websites put articles and they don't refer anybody on their content, and the fact that from where they got those information rather than they read them somewhere or heard them from somebody?

ifnawi, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  2. Jennifer Hutson

Jennifer Hutson Member

Best Answers:
    Plagiarism is content that is copied word for word, either entirely or in part. If you want to know if a piece of content is plagiarized, you can run it through Copyscape. The site charges .05 cents per piece of content you check.

Jennifer Hutson, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  3. ifnawi

ifnawi Member

Best Answers:
    but what about websites that put articles without citing anybody, and same ideas discussed in many websites, is that considered as general information can anybody reword them as he/shes wants without citing?

ifnawi, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  4. Jennifer Hutson

Jennifer Hutson Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, that is general information. Writing doesn't need to be cited unless you are using specific statistics or figures. For example, "96% of people believe that plagiarism is harmful to the writing community."

You would need to cite where you got that statistic from. Otherwise, you don't need to cite general ideas.

5. ifnawi

ifnawi Member

Best Answers:
    thank you so much :)

ifnawi, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  6. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, technically, you do not have to cite stats. you should, because it gives them credibility, but it's not a legal issue.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people do a lot of things they aren't supposed to. They have either not gotten caught or may never get caught.

The best way for you to avoid plagerism is to write from scratch. There will always be influences, there's no way around that. But your own style and your own thoughts will shine thru.

There's an old saying that states that there are only 5 original stories, everything else is just a variation on the theme.

SCookAAM, Sep 3, 2014 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  7. Jennifer Hutson

Jennifer Hutson Member

Best Answers:
    You are correct. You are not legally obligated to cite, but for credibility you do need to cite on those instances. And yes, always write from scratch.

8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Plagiarism is using the same or nearly the same words to describe something. You can get ideas, concepts, solutions, etc., from reading other articles but then you must explain them in your own words. Your article can cover the same issues, details, and conclusions as another article, but you must do so with your own words and your own structure of the article. Then you will be okay.

jrbiz, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  9. ifnawi

ifnawi Member

Best Answers:
    thank you jrbiz

ifnawi, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  10. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am not really sure if Copyscape, even the Premium version, can fully guarantee that a piece of content is NOT plagiarized. There are, sometimes, bits that are an exact copy of your work that escape even Google. Copyscape can catch duplicates that exist ONLY in its own database (and for that matter any other plag checker). There's so much content being published every second! Even Google cannot list everything out there in SERPs; chances are very faint for Copyscape.
    I believe the best way to ensure that your content is not plagiarized is by writing it yourself.

Content Maestro, Sep 3, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  11. Jennifer Hutson

Jennifer Hutson Member

Best Answers:
    I have done extensive testing with Copyscape over the years and I can tell you that it does indeed catch the majority of plagiarized content. The only thing it may not catch is content that has not been indexed by Google yet, which would need to be a very recent upload.

It's also very good for scanning entire websites. I write my own content from scratch, but I've created many websites that I check regularly to see if the content is being copied on other sites. It's very helpful.

12. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Thanks @Jennifer Hutson.
    I sometimes find it funny that what escapes one plag checker is caught by the other. There have been instances where bits of my content Copyscape (Premium) couldn't catch as plagiarized were detected by other plag checkers. That's why I use more than one to check every piece I release.
    Anyway, I have compiled a list of may FREE ones here – https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thr...st-of-free-alternatives-to-copyscape.2700629/. You might want to take a look. The worst part is that most of these free tools have severe limitations imposed upon their usage.:(

Content Maestro, Sep 3, 2014 IP
  13. pretty10

pretty10 Member

Best Answers:
    Hello ifnawi!

It looks like Jennifer Hutson and jrbiz answered your question well.

I would say if you want to write an original and unique article, don’t just rely on one or two sources. Check a good number of websites or published articles and get a clear idea about the subject you are going to write. Just understand the facts and write in your own style.

Copyscape premium is a good tool for plagiarism checking. However, I know many writers who easily “cheat” Copyscape by simply rewording the phrases and sentences. They believe that if an article has passed “Copyscape test” means it is 100% original but it is not! I have found plagiarism on Grammarly when I scanned some “Copyscape passed” articles.

This usually happens when a writer tries to reword/spin an article from a published source. Now Google is very strict in finding duplicated content and it will harm your blog or website. Google knows which content is manually written and which one is rewritten from somewhere. Many people have lost their search engine rankings due to spinning articles. So what you need to do is write content manually and don’t try any shortcuts to make it a Copyscape pass.

And yes, there are many people who just "rewrite" articles and publish on their website. Don't worry, they will regret in the future when they receive a surprising penalty from Google. :)

Hope it helps!

pretty10, Sep 4, 2014 IP
  14. RichardGB

RichardGB Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The big web sites are well-known and they don't need to care whether the content is their or it was found in deep lair of the internet. They've got their viewers and all they need to do is to post more information and those viewers know that information is not from this site. All they are interested in is the information, not its source.

RichardGB, Sep 4, 2014 IP
  15. WLEadmin

WLEadmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had precisely the opposite experience of Copyscape. I use two free plagiarism spotters and figured I'd give Copyscape a run. Deposited some cash and put a bunch of articles through it. Out of the first 13 I tried, 2 direct, exact copies of existing content got through CS without a hitch. The free spotters caught all of those. That's a 15% failure rate for Copyscape - for a business that relies on original content, that's fatal.

When I contacted CS, they said that the indexes they use are not the same ones that are used when performing a standard Google or Yahoo! search, and that their indexes get updated at different intervals to Google's and Yahoos! main indexes.

In other words "We don't guarantee that our service will work as you expect it to, or at all, really".

Given that the copies were not new and had been indexed for ages, I asked for my money back. I don't see why I would pay for something that isn't as reliable as doing a single Google search myself or two freebie services - that is, after all, the whole point of Copyscape!

The two free services I use have caught 100% of copies, both partial and total, so far.

WLEadmin, Sep 13, 2014 IP
  16. JackFraser

JackFraser Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What is the best free alternative to Copyscape?

JackFraser, Sep 13, 2014 IP
  17. WLEadmin

WLEadmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use a combination of duplichecker.com and the one on smallseotools.com - if one doesn't catch the copy, the other does. The down-side is that they both have a limited number of daily uses.

WLEadmin, Sep 13, 2014 IP
  18. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Content Maestro, Sep 13, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.