1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Avivadirectory back to PR6

Discussion in 'Directories' started by xc06, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    we know PR maybe is the small factor of directory, but at least it is an indicator of Google attitude to the direcotory?

Avivadirectory back to PR6 , maybe it tells us quality directories still have google 's love :)

My directory www.dirwizard.com got PR0 penalty for a quite time and this update got PR2, still a good thing IMO...

xc06, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  2. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    okay, good luck all directory owner and their directories for the new pr update~!

WallaceYeung, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  3. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its an indication of what a hypocrite google is when it allows some directories to regain PR/come out of penalty whilst others cant

discover, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  4. xtreme fever

xtreme fever Active Member

Best Answers:
    Shows a PR0 for me

xtreme fever, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  5. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    I don't any PR changes except for Aviva... Maybe it was specially for Aviva ;)... Congratulations Jeff! :)

humm, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  6. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How did Jeff manage to pull Aviva out of penalisation and regain the PR6?

Ibn Juferi, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  7. UltimateBoss

UltimateBoss Banned

Best Answers:
    Google PR is now something unpreditable and useless tool to judgge quality of the site.. Its just backlink power therefore people should get over PR

UltimateBoss, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  8. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

an0n, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  9. UltimateBoss

UltimateBoss Banned

Best Answers:
    Actually what i mean is that since google doesnt allow link buying and selling directories are somewhat extent i myself had one pr3 directory but closed it after that..

No offense to anyone ok

UltimateBoss, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  10. scoobby

scoobby Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know that these days pr and especialy pr for directories is a tricky thing but we have to admit that it play a major role to submiters.
    I have work in a directory that was pr6 but havent got good seo and it wasnt ranking well.now is pr4 but rank 1st page for almost all main keywords.
    Allthought submissions have been decreased.
    Aviva directory as i know have work very hard to obtain the lost pr so it is well deserve it.

scoobby, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  11. Nichemasterflex

Nichemasterflex Active Member

Best Answers:
    jeff must be dancing around - im happy for him he's a good guy and has tried repeatedly to do what "google says he should do" dating back to when matt cutts told him to stop cross linking his sites and he did.. so good on him congrats jeff!

Nichemasterflex, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  12. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Aviva was re-instated over a year ago. He merely submitted for re-inclusion and dropped some hints on the google webmaster blog. He got noticed and jumped to the front of the review queue.

mikey1090, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No offence to OP, but the thread has a touch of irony to it, were not meant to focus on PR, with us all being relabelled link sellers basically but the golden statue of directories always gets a pr mention. :)

Il pretend that i never saw the redirect that i saw a little while ago, dont remember the url but upon visiting another site it magically transports you to aviva, cool :) this is what is called being untouchable.

Best thing to do is just accept that, once you can learn to laugh at this it makes all the other thoughts in ones head just wash away.

Good luck anyway, since PR should not be the focus it shouldn't mean any difference or benefit in anyway, should it?

Ah... now it gets all confusing again.

Directory owners heads have got to be some of the most messed with.:D

pipes, Apr 2, 2009 IP
    Brian1970 likes this.
  14. iPod

iPod Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have to congratulate Jeff n Aviva on their accomplishment. Coming back from penalty and moving on to top search engine rankings is no fluke, no luck but hard work.

PR... What's that. Next update if AvivaDir loses it's PR, majority of webmasters will beat the bush again.

iPod, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  15. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hitting the nail on the head right there.

In other parts of the world do the rest of you use the phrase "Its not what you know, its who you know" ? ;)

A young drug dealer used to live across the road from me 2 years ago, one day around 5 police cars swarmed into the street and to his flat, they were not there to arrest him but to check that he was alright, they received a call that he might be in danger, the poor fellow.

A few weeks before he danced outside his car while talking to the police, nice and friendly like.

He was allowed to deal in the area, the police were ok with him breaking the rules, meanwhile they arrested others.

The young man and the police had an "understanding" if you get my drift, they benefit from the situation. ;) its how things work.

Couldn't resist throwing some realism into the picture here, needed to point out that online business is no different to offline business.

pipes, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  16. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    maybe im missing something
    let me see..removing redirects, interlinks and adding an about page to your directory is hard work?
    and all those featured links, blogroll links and sponsored templates?
    do they count for nothing now? umm no thats why he has a PR6 since its based on the very same things the rest of us were penalised for.

so what exactly does it achieve when google decides to not penalise all sites fairly?
    does it make you want to do what google tells you?
    no it makes you want to do the same as aviva but just not get caught..

discover, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  17. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    @Discover, he may have his PR back, but I know from my own experience of penalty the re-instation that it's not all good. After the penalty all backlinks (the bad ones like the sponsored themes) basically get nulled, and any trust you had with Google is gone. It's like you're a new site.

So those that rely on search traffic to convert into ad clicks or affiliate sales are screwed. As although they got back in the SERPs they may have gone from 1,000/day from G down to about 20.

18. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know you speak from experience in getting a site back but it doesn't add up that he's having a rough ride coming back from being penalised
    sitelinks, 31k pages indexed and a PR6 doesnt exactly seem like punishment

I don't know his traffic and what hes ranking for but I bet hes not far off what he had before..

and all this isn't even taking into consideration what pipes said about a redirect

discover, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  19. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    congrats to jeff :D cheers :D

olddocks, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  20. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    True discover, very true. But just think how all the bad press probably affected him and his business. His other directories may be penalised too.

All in all though...it is a decent directory with great categories and links. He has plenty content and that's what google likes, they'll probably turn a blind eye to one or two 301 redirects - although he said he'd removed them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.