1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Average time scale for results

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by housenetwork, Jul 14, 2004.

I have been searching and reading different opinions on SEO. We have paid an SEO firm to optimise our site www.housenetwork.co.uk and I was wondering if anyone can give an opinion on when you should see some results in google - top 200.

We have not had one result in the top 200 now and it was finalised 5 weeks ago. We have 500 pages indexed but no results?

housenetwork, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What sort of keywords were you not able to break into the top 200?

digitalpoint, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  3. housenetwork

housenetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    All our main ones....We are based in UK in the property market, so ones like sell your home online, sell your own home etc etc. I have heard that google penalise new sites. Our site has been indexed for about 3 months now with no results. I have used the keyword tracker and have a complete list of n/a

housenetwork, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  4. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    It is highly likely that your backlinks will be 'sandboxed' for a while which will delay your rise through the SERPs. A site I set up in March has only just started creeping through the high 200s in the last week or so for the least 'general' of my keyword phrases. My site still doesn't appear for my main phrase.

Just keep getting the backlinks and reasonable placement will follow in time. :)

Mick

Arnica, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  5. ryanallsi

ryanallsi Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi. From my experience it takes about 120 days for results to be seen fully in Google.

Warm regards,
    Ryan Allis, author
    Obtaining a #1 Ranking in the Search Engines
    http://www.search-engines-guide.com

ryanallsi, Jul 14, 2004 IP
  6. shabbirbhimani

shabbirbhimani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First I am a firm believer that you must optimize the site yourself but its not a bad option either. Before waiting for google and see the results you can tell them that you also have idea about SEO[As you have read] and let you know what they are working on and how will it benefit my site. Tell them that you dont have the time to SEO this site and so you have appointed them.

Now the results dont appear immediately but the improvements is what you can expect. You can use googlerankings.com to test where you stand in your ranks and also test some tools here at DP.

Thanks
    Shabbir Bhimani

shabbirbhimani, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  7. housenetwork

housenetwork Peon

Best Answers:
    My concern is that we do not have one single listing in the top 1000, and I am worried that we are being blocked for some reason. I am told the updates will help.

Would you recommend paying the fee to get listed in the Yahoo Directory?

housenetwork, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  8. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    I doubt you're blocked - as I said it took 13 weeks for my site to appear in the top 1000 for my secondary phrases. And 16 weeks on I still haven't hit the top 1000 for my main, most competitive phrase. Sit back and gather more strong back links. It will come in time.

Mick

Arnica, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  9. gooner

gooner Peon

Best Answers:
    Your in the top 40 for the term house network for UK specific results in Google - which indicates your sites not being blocked.

Having a quick look at your back links in Yahoo Search (displays all known back links instead of a cross section of them like Google) they seem to be well mixed, that is very little repetition for your anchor text.

As Arnica said, sit back and gather more strong back links using mixed targeted phrases.

gooner, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  10. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a question regarding the 120 day time frame. Right now there are almost 600 instances of my keyword, resalebroker, showing up in Google's results. The majority of these instances are links to my site. However, Google shows no back links [link:www*resalebroker*com].

I understand that pages with a lower page rank aren't always displayed in Google's results. One of my questions is if Google knows about all of those links why is my PR at 1? Not that page rank is super important but that plus the fact that there are no back links showing makes me wonder what is going on? Should I just sit out the next 120 +/- days and see what happens? :confused:

ResaleBroker, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    This was a fairly easy keyword (compared to real estate stuff, which I've heard is tough), but I put a page recently about my brother's Budweiser Airboat and it grabbed the top spot in two days. So sometimes things can move pretty fast, but I seriousely doubt there was any sandbox'ing on that term! ;-)

alek

hulkster, Jul 15, 2004 IP
  12. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    It's been 5 weeks since you've paid someone to get you in the listings and they've been unsuccessful? I would ask them what SEO techniques they are using on your site, just to make sure. Good luck!
    :D

ViciousSummer, Jul 16, 2004 IP
  13. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    the last reasonably big site i did took about 4 months to get top 10

5 weeks is nothing

ferret77, Jul 18, 2004 IP
  14. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Where did the five weeks come from?

ResaleBroker, Jul 18, 2004 IP
  15. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    In past I have seen that it usually takes a couple of pagerank / backlink updates before site begins to become well indexed.

Since this update appears to be so peculiar in how backinks have either radically escalated or declined yet not many reporting change in pagerank who knows what the futture holds. I expect it is too early to panic.

Good luck,
    Shannon

Smyrl, Jul 18, 2004 IP
  16. spyder

spyder Peon

Best Answers:
    Before Feb, I could put up a new site, give it a bunch of backlinks from my other sites and it'll have good PR at the next update. But now, new sites have taken at least 2 updates, with some sites taking longer.

spyder, Jul 19, 2004 IP