1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Average Salary in India -- Outsourcing editor job

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ryanng, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    For some kinds of work on an English-based site, outsourcing internationally is fine. But you're talking about editing. That implies a better than average understanding of the English language. I've hired two people from India so far, with one doing just fine and another definitely having a language barrier issue. It's going to depend a lot on the individual. But if you do find someone fluent enough to handle editing work, you'll also have to pay them a bit more to account for the added expertise, at least in my opinion. Still could be cheaper than hiring someone more localized though.

Jenn

jhmattern, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  2. topaffiliateprogram

topaffiliateprogram Peon

Best Answers:
    you need to train someone what exactly you want .... its hard to correct someone's errors online .. also you cannot monitor your employee activities .. so if you want job to be done you need to pass work to companies who accept outsourcing work or individuals with good experience.

topaffiliateprogram, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The problem though is that when you outsource internationally to someone with less than great English, it doesn't matter how much you train them, or even if you give them step by step instructions. That's the problem with language barriers. I don't think you need to hire an outsourcing company to get decent work done. As I said in my situation, I have one person who picked up on the project and has done the work almost flawlessly, and one who just had a hard time understanding some things. It happens. But that's why I personally opt to give a small "test" project before committing to anything larger scale or longer term. Personally, I'd rather work with someone individually than trust someone else to supervise in any way. I don't even like giving any kind of control in my business to individuals, so there's no way I'd let a company have influence over it at all... I know I'm more overprotective than most. It's just how I prefer to work, and lets me keep my sanity.

jhmattern, Sep 23, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  4. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    Forget everything i hope you do quality work will u work for me at 150$, no worries i will pay you monthly 10% bonus, 4 days a month holiday,
    let me know if you are ready to work for me @ 150$
    :cool:

Never believe in bookish stats :(

amitpatel_3001, Sep 23, 2006 IP
    mattmdesign likes this.
  5. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I never said I would work for 150$

I am saying it is possible to find people to do such jobs for 150$-300$

There are thousands of graduates in India today who do not have decent jobs. In big cities they may get get absorbed in call centers , but in medium size cities they are always on lookout for money making opportunities.

seowebindia has a dozen or so guys working for him for around Rs 8000 monthly. I guess you have guys working for your directory submission service for even less than that.

Maybe you will believe our finance minister P. Chidambaram

Interview Source: Press Release from Indian Embassy.

sachin410, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  6. Ferrarislave

Ferrarislave Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had nothing but problems working with Indians. The language barrier was a big obstacle, not to mention the conversations. The level of desperation was also pathetic. I mean the guy would say thank you sir officially your CEO bla bla bla from indias most renowed programming company krobat communications and development... I have had better luck with working with coders from the UK.

Ferrarislave, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  7. jabb

jabb Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow that is some crazy low numbers. No idea how these people survive earning that. From $530 in 2003 to $800ish now. India income per capita

jabb, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  8. alexisthemovie

alexisthemovie Peon

Best Answers:
    you just misunderstood him and proved jhmattern right.

those stats are very realistic. the united states has an average of $30000 per capita income and although it seems preposterous around where i live, it's the sad truth. a large majority of our military earns an annual salaray of $10000 after taxes. teachers starting out average about $35000 which is just enough to support one person.

alexisthemovie, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  9. Ferrarislave

Ferrarislave Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to make $100,000+ in America per year to live well. $100,000 is a the bare minium to live well in my opinion. Can you get by with $50k? Yes, but it's going to be ugly. Espacially in California and in most large cities.

Ferrarislave, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  10. sarathy

sarathy Peon

Best Answers:
    The average salary involving dtp work in indians 1st BPO company is around:
    200 to 500$ (Min to max)

and india is a poor country

sarathy, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  11. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I must point out that the currency rate is not the best indicator of affluence, poverty, or more specifically "purchasing power." 1 USD = 45 INR, but that does not mean that if you take a basket of goods that cost $1000, it would cost Rs. 45000 in India. Froa ll data I have read on purchasing power parity, 1 USD = something like 10 INR.

Ajeet, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  12. sachin410

Best Answers:
    That may be correct but still doesn't change the overall situation much.

Considering PPP, India's per capita income of 850$ or so, is barely capable of a purchasing power equivalent of 3800$ in US - far lower than the per capita income there.

13. sachin410

Best Answers:
    Another thing that we must keep in mind is PPP considers a basket of local goods and services. The Basket is usually biased towards essential items and government services which are highly subsidized in countries like India.

If a person wants to import an item , buy a service overseas or make an acquisition overseas, PPP is useless.

10 INR may puchase the same amount of basic goods in India as 1 USD in US.

However I cannot go and tell Google Adwords to consider PPP and charge me 10 Rs for every 1 USD of advertising that I purchase. I will have to pay Rs 46 per USD.

14. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think that anyone is trying to compare the "overall" affluence between two countries. But, having lived in India and in the US, I must say that the wealth distribution in both is so skewed (probably it is the world over) that there are many many really poor people in both countries. When Ross Perot stood for President, he would show up on TV with all these graphs and charts. One of them was about poverty in the US. I do not remember the exact numbers, but I remember people being fairly startled.

Having said all this, I am not trying to defend any country. If India is poor, that is not something that needs to be defended.

Ajeet, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  15. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I cannot disagree with that. But, if we are talking about poverty, basic and essential items form a good basket.

But, I realize that I have totally deviated from the topic of this thread. The thread creator has been kind enough to not point this out. But, I think I will desist commenting on this topic (unless one of us is enthusiastic enough to start a new thread in the appropriate forum) :)

Ajeet, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  16. sachin410

Best Answers:
    Coming back to the original topic,

I have already talked to the thread creator 3 days back.

His preference for India is not just because of the costs involved. He needs workers from different time zones.

The work is a full time job which would not require much technical knowledge - just some basic training and understanding of the employer's business.

Anyone who has been using a PC for more than a year and has a decent grip over English can be a suitable candidate.

The work involved is light and is home based.

I don't see any reason why he can't find a graduate to do this job for 200-250 USD per month.

Ajeet likes this.
  17. topaffiliateprogram

topaffiliateprogram Peon

Best Answers:
    one of my friend ( living near my house in india) , have hired 2 peoples .. he paid them $80 a month (8 hrs per day) . so it cost him $160 . and those two employees making him $7000 for him ... its because he trained them well .. and he spends over $5000 per month on hotels cars etc and donot work at all .. he pays $160 and get $7000 one month and $20000 other month .. and when i asked whats secret of his success he told me he has art to train peoples and utilize cheap labour to get hard jobs done .......and remember india is the only poor country where peoples know english (atleast you and me can communicate or all of us can communicate in english , ofcourse with grammatical errors but search engines ignore grammar errors.. )

topaffiliateprogram, Sep 24, 2006 IP
  18. dotcompals

dotcompals Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OK all said and done,

If any of my DP friends need to hire ppl for online jobs do pm me.

I am freelancer working in this field for the last 6 years.

dotcompals, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  19. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    I have got things done from people in the past. The only place I got people from was Yahoo chat rooms. There are rooms where alot of coders, designers, content writers sit all day looking for customers. You can always ask the person about his pervious work before alloting him a job. As far as grammar or spelling mistakes are concerned... I guess you can judge him/her by talking for few minutes (voice chat is always a good option)....makes job quite easy.

Indian, Sep 25, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  20. contentz

contentz Peon

Best Answers:
    "India is a poor country and average salary is less than 1000 USD a year." I am not sure if sachin410 meant skilled professionals. I agree with Ajeet that if you pay for quality, you get it. And India in NOT a poor country.

contentz, Sep 25, 2006 IP