1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Automated RPM -- Revenue Per Thousand -- how to do it?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by daveguy001, Oct 9, 2005.

A while back there was a company (albeit in the adult web industry) that announced an automated system for tracking advertising and sales on a "revenue per thousand impressions/clicks" basis, where that was the metric used to buy ads rather than CPM. To me this seems like the ultimate new model for tracking online sales if it is even possible to automate the entire process. Now I'm not a programmer or anything but I see two different ways this might be accomplished:

A. Offer a software package to the site owner that he/she can implement on their own (sort of like existing tracking software) to track all aspects of the business -- buying ads, purchases, costs, revenue, etc.

B. Set up an online network with certain advertising and selling partners, allowing one to track all aspects of the business. For example, Google or CNN.com might be part of the network, and Amazon.com could also be on the network. The site owner can become part of this network to have advertising tracked on an RPM basis. When they buy ads through one of the partners, everything can be tracked this way.

Now I'm sure there are some holes in the above models, but that's why I'm posting this in the first place. Is this idea just reinventing the wheel or would it even be possible or worthwhile? Is it already done and I'm just not seeing it? Thanks.

daveguy001, Oct 9, 2005 IP