1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Automated Link Request

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by twinsrul, May 19, 2004.

I've wrote an automated tool, http://www.thebigletterlist.net/tradelinks.shtml, to trade links with and I'm about to post it everywhere on different fourms. In your guys opinions, is this a good or bad idea? I want to get some people's opinions. I'm thinking that this will help me get so many more links. What do you guys think? Thanks.
    -Andrew

twinsrul, May 19, 2004 IP
  2. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would be careful about how you advertise it in forums. Many see blatant posts excaliming "use my new tool!" as spamming the forum.

Bernard, May 20, 2004 IP
  3. twinsrul

twinsrul Peon

Best Answers:
    Bernard, thanks for the tip. Yeah, thats why I'm only going to post in "Link Trade" fourms. I need to improve it to automatically get the PR of a website, but I havn't figured that out yet. You think I should bother with that or just manually remove low pr sites?

twinsrul, May 20, 2004 IP
  4. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are asking the wrong person. I don't worry much about link trading. If I see a site that I like and would like to link to, I link to it.

If I see a site that I think has an audience that would be interested in my site, has a links page and is clearly not an affiliate or other type of site, I contact them and solicit a link.

I don't worry about the PR of the pages at all (although I don't link to spammy pages or banned sites, of course). PR will fluctuate. It is not all that important IMO. I like links that drive targeted direct traffic.

Bernard, May 20, 2004 IP
  5. spidermonkey

spidermonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    Word to the wise mate ;)

There are some very capable people involved in link trading out there at the moment. Several of who'm have the confidence in their abilities to openly advertise in well-indexed forums - are you sure you can take them on?

Be careful - the wrath of some of these guys can hurt if you invoke it!

Friendly advice

Mike :)

spidermonkey, May 20, 2004 IP
  6. twinsrul

twinsrul Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm a little confused. Do you mean I shouldn't heavily advertise the link in link trading fourms? I'm still new at this, so a little input would be great. Thanks.

7. spidermonkey

spidermonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    Basically what I am saying is that you don't want to be advertising quality IBL's for free in an environment where a very capable programmer or two has been offering paid-for quality IBL's for cash for some time - so check your environment first.

Your posting suggested you were going to offer a blanket of linking opportunities accross a wide range of internet forums for free. Unless I read your posting wrong (which is possible at gone 1am) you might get trouble both from the guys that do it for cash and possibly get flagged as a link-farm in the process. One small site reciprocating links is no problem, but make sure it is impossible for a rogue site to take a block of links (spread accross subdomains) as they could achieve from that what hundreds in paid links would achieve and certain people would not thank you if you really have that many links to spare.

I was just advising you to make sure what you ae offering fits the places that you are offering it in. Lest you get your arse bitten by dogs!

Kind regards

Mike

8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    He isn't offering to sell blocks of links (from what I can tell it's not a link brokerage deal). It's for his own site.

But even if that *was* the case, just because someone else is doing something, that's a terrible reason to not do whatever it is. Competition is a good thing. It's always fun to watch the competition slowly disappear when they can't compete with something I'm doing. hehe (That's a very general statement... and definitely nothing to do with link brokering or anything else SEO related, I don't offer any link exchanges or SEO related services myself...)

digitalpoint, May 20, 2004 IP
  9. spidermonkey

spidermonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    I missed the comment in the original posting that made the point it was restricted to link exchange forums (it is late in the UK) sorry for that. I'm all for competition helping the web develop in it's own way inspite of the plans certain major corporations to manipulate it. I was briefly worried that someone new was about to expose themselves to the might of mainstream internet promoters and get hurt.

Personally I know nothing about link exchange forums specifically.

Kind regards

Mike

10. twinsrul

twinsrul Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the explanation, Mike. And digitalpoint, your right. Its for my site. I think I'm just going to post the link on link-trading forums only. Can't get in too much trouble that way, right? :).

This script was basically built for the convenience of my link traders. They can trade links when they want. And I have the confidence in the fully automated process. I'm also putting a pagerank checker in their. Should help me get quality links. Of course I'll have to manually check each link just in case.

11. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    On your linking script page you say "All links checked randomly every 12-24 hours". Have you automated the random checking?

And are you offering to give the software away?

compar, May 21, 2004 IP
  12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think rechecking every 12-24 hours is a bit excessive if you ask me. Personally I think once a month would be better.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 21, 2004 IP
  13. twinsrul

twinsrul Peon

Best Answers:
    Bob,
    Unfortunatly, I wrote the script for my use only, but I'm sure there are others that work as good or even better than mine. Do a google search ;-).

Shawn,
    Thanks for the tip.

twinsrul, May 21, 2004 IP
  14. eCommando

eCommando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Do I have to put the code on the page that I submitted? Can I put it on a resources page?

eCommando, Jun 8, 2004 IP