1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Automated Directory Submission

Discussion in 'Directories' started by aaron_nimocks, Jun 27, 2006.

1. unknown888

unknown888 Guest

Best Answers:
    If you are really interested in selling your software as many copies, it would be most appropriate to give a free trial. It is important to gain acceptance of users/buyers about your product's usability and significance.

unknown888, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  2. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi iowa, I'd like to give it a try for one of my site, is it free?

toby, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  3. Darkhodge

Darkhodge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So are we actually allowed to sell submissions to other customers once we buy the product?!

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here... ??

Darkhodge, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  4. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    You can sell it if you want but you dont have to. The only reason why I did because I was blown away that the product actually works and I knew it would be easy to sell.

aaron_nimocks, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  5. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    When I first bought the software and tried it out, I asked if I could offer submissions using the software.
    She, being one of the good people here and very friendly (and helpful, etc) said yes, if I wanted to, go for it.
    So I started offering, still offer, submissions and have done quite well doing so.
    In fact, a few people who tried me on these submissions then went and bought the software themselves!

Why offer a free trial?
    Most software sold on the net have no free trial....try getting one of the other submission sellers to offer a free trial...aint going to happen.

Use my service as right now, you can get 24 hour access as per the link shown by alang.
    Or let me or aaron, do a trial submission for you. Either one of us will do so for a good price.

iowadawg, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  6. Darkhodge

Darkhodge Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow that's pretty awesome! :D

I didn't even realise I could do that so it's an added bonus!

Darkhodge, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  7. LazySEO

LazySEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Just got back to this thread and saw all the questions about a demo version. I thought about putting together a limited demo version, but it would still have all of the database and installation overhead of the full version.

I didn't see a way to reasonably support any questions from my prospective customers, support my existing customers, and still have time left to add more directories and improve the script.

So, unfortunately, I don't have a downloadable demo, but I'm lucky enough to have the members here offering an alternative way to try the program.

I'd suggest the offer of using the script on someone else's server. That'll give you a chance to test it out how it works without having to load anything on your computer or webhost.

LazySEO, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  8. AussieT

AussieT Peon

Best Answers:
    PROBLEMS EXPERIENCED

To LazySEO and to other users of Submititnow software.

I bought the program today and have only tested 20 directories.

I have a few questions/concerns.

1. After loading a Site Profile. I am unable to edit the profile. I am pressing the little pencil icon.

2. Also when I press the delete profile icon (x) the profile is NOT deleted.

3. When I ran a 20 directory test, and checked the Submission results files the report said that 18 out of 20 submissions were sucessful. HOWEVER when I check the "log file" I noticed that 18 of the 20 submissions do not include a 'Title', nor a 'Description' nor a 'URL'. This is a real worry! Has anyone checked their log file? I have kept a copy of mine for ref.

I am now eagerly awaiting to see if this is only a hic-up in the log files. Will wait to see what response I get from the 20 test directories before submitting to the others.

Looking forward to hear from your experiences? Are you having the same problems?

AussieT, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  9. aaron_nimocks

Best Answers:
    I haven not seen anything like this. I submitted around 5 sites to all the directories so over 1000 times now and I have never seen a missing title or description. But when I get a chance i will check the log files to see if they show different.

aaron_nimocks, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  10. AussieT

AussieT Peon

Best Answers:
    reply to aaron nimocks

Thanks I look forward to hearing what your log files reveal.

What about the edit profile problem - has anyone checked this out?

AussieT, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  11. aaron_nimocks

Best Answers:
    I never had to edit. But you should just be able to delete and fill a new one out real quick.

12. multithreader

multithreader Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi all,
    I started out like most of you, whenever I saw an automated submitter I just looked away. I mean, cynicism aside, how could you keep up with that many forms? Then I saw this thread and its siblings, and looked through the reviews, the feedbacks, the directories themselves, and somehow it seemed that someone out there made a real one for a change. I thought about the test drives people were offering, but I thought to myself, if it worked for half of the directories, wasn't it already worth way more than the $77?

So I decided to take the chance and buy it. Here are my hands-on notes so far:

First of all, this was not made very clear on the thread so I'll spend a moment on it: this software can be installed both on the server, and your PC. It'll do the exact same thing. This can cause a problem for some people, and I'll clarify. Imagine someone who's not network savvy, getting a message from Norton Internet Security saying "Apache.exe is trying to access the internet". I know of plenty of people (including myself, a couple of years ago) who'd glean just enough rope from this kind of message to kill themselves with... "What?? A server!? There's a server on my computer?? Gasp! Those PHP pages are running locally!":confused:

So, if anyone has a specific reason to avoid this, or simply believes his brain would give off warning signals if they saw the above message, just install it on the server. There's a Webserver Installation Guide.pdf file that shows you how to get it set up easily.

Right, we're done with that part. Now, after you've entered your site's info, but before you click submit to the entire list of directories, stop. Look at the E-mail you've entered. Say a warm goodbye to it. Remember where it's going? Other people's databases... Now, simple solution: login to your ISP's mail management thingamajig (they don't have a thingamajig??), and create a new E-mail address just for this. You can forward it as a recipe, or create an actual account, it doesn't matter, just don't kill your poor *real* E-mail address.

So, I've done that and I've clicked submit. After about 15 minutes (I didn't time it really, I think it was between 10 and 15 minutes), it finished submitting all of the forms to the various dirs, and with each one (on each line), it indicated a success or fail. After scratching my head for a couple of minutes wondering what I should do next, I saw I had new E-mail. 89 new E-mails, to be exact. Quickly going through them, most of them were notifications of successful submissions to various directories (I think it was at this point that I decided to post this message). Some of them needed confirmation, but the info was dead-on. They're still coming actually, well above 100 now.

Overall, very impressive. I wouldn't think twice recommending it, in fact I've already E-mailed a few people just off the top of my head.

About the trial versions, how about make one with only 20 dirs and give that one as a trial? Once people see how easy it is, sell a small patch that upgrades the existing framework to the entire list of dirs. Either that, or offer to submit those 20 dirs through an installed version of your site. That in itself would represent the trial version.

Hope this helps. This software sure helped me! :)

multithreader, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  13. aaron_nimocks

Best Answers:
    Great feedback. Just to let you all know me and lazy_seo are taking this software to the next level. It will be all web based now and include some new features here very shortly.

1. Be able to view the exact category for each directory before submitting. Ability to make an edit to the category if need be.
    2. Ability to submit to a list of reciprocal only directories. Just copy and paste the link code for all the directories to your site and auto submit to the directories and you get instant reciprocals. :)
    3. Adding tons more directories and a support forum.
    4. Going to have category dumps availiable for download for popular directory scripts. Make it extremely simple to get a directory into the automatic submissions.

These are just some examples of what is going to be changed shorty and what you are looking forward to.

14. redgsr

redgsr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So is the software in its current version available?

The links don't work.

Do you get life time updates?

redgsr, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  15. AussieT

AussieT Peon

Best Answers:
    Multithreader - Good review and nice suggestions. Especially about not using your main email address.

Please do me a favour and check your log file to see if it shows the Title, ULR and Description fields as BLANK (mine are all blank). Also can you edit the profiles? (Icannot edit or delete).

Please give us all an update on the number of successful submission emails you recieve over next week or two. Did you submit to all 260+?

aaron_nimocks - The upgrade improvement sound fantastic, look forward to receiveng them.

Actually I cannot delete the profile either see original post -
    . The point is the feature should be working and they are not and I was wondering if other users are having this problem.

Did you check your log files for the missing fields - It seems that it may only be the logfiles that are inaccurate some of the emails from the dirs are coming back with correct details. But again it would be good to have ACCURATE log files. Perhaps you can work on this for the promised future upgrades!

LazySEO - Any comments or solutions for the problems I have experienced? See earlier post

Everyone - This software looks very promising. I Will kep everyone updates on the problems I have experienced and the support offered.

imbckagn - Yes they promised lifetime updates.

AussieT, Jul 2, 2006 IP
  16. Saadh

Saadh Peon

Best Answers:
    A few questions. So is this service a monthly thing now? Also, if this service stays successful, won't directories catch on or something? I have no clue how the coding works, but if so many automated services have failed, how can this last for long?

And also, how many more directories will be added? Aside from that, if this can stay successful, I don't see the price staying this low for long.

Saadh, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  17. aaron_nimocks

Best Answers:
    I think directory owners will like it so much that they will be submitting their directory to be added to the list. Also I am adding category data dumps that are free to use. Basically just download the category dump for whatever directory script you are using and insert it in MYSQL and you have all the categories you need. This also helps us out with mapping categories if you use our category data dumps. Added one already found here.

Yes it is monthly now and almost done with the new web bases site. The price doesnt look like it will ever change. It will remain very cheap for a monthly cost and their will be a ton more directories added along with other new features. I wouldnt join up just yet. Give us a few days to work the bugs out.

You can see the 2 new features being added here.

http://www.lazyseo.com/blog/?p=4

Any suggestions are welcome.

aaron_nimocks, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  18. khalid

khalid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let us know how it goes and what your stats are like after your submission!

khalid, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  19. multithreader

multithreader Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a quick update from a couple days later. Overall it seemed to have submitted to most of the dirs, and going over the log file manually, it's really quite impressive, considering the different form structures. Counting the E-mails I got from the various directories, it comes to around 124, though some of them include both a "pending approval" and a "approved", while others are rejections, if you don't link back (which isn't the software's fault of course, I'm just indicating the number of return E-mails). I assume they don't all return E-mails, and that some only E-mail back after approval, so I certainly wouldn't take that number to mean too much in any negative way (especially since you can go through the log file one by one and see for yourself).

AussieT - I'm guessing your first question was answered, yes, I can see my info on all the forms that were successful. As for editing, I can't edit the title, but I can edit the rest. Your concern about the logfile is something to look into though. It's one of the real validators of the program. You may want to send the info of the installation to the authors and see if they can trace a bug. Also, next time you use it on another site, only submit a few dirs at a time, and check the log each time. It might be an option for the program to give you a dir of log files, each from each directory. It'd be 2 minutes to program, it's just a parsing step, they have to join these pages together anyway.

To the authors: You've got my vote. Please release patches often, I don't know about others, but I'd gladly pay for a patch of X additional dirs added to the pool, just program it so that it will allow a separate submission to the newsly added list. I seriously think you should do a poll among users: ask who is willing to pay for directory patch files, I'm sure that anyone who's used the software will gladly pay for additional submissions of this quality. You've done the legwork on directories, and I'm sure you've earned the trust of whomever payed for your experience -- it would be easier for you to make these people members of a service, rather than a one-time purchase (which will still be optional, of course).

Possibly rethink the way the product is currently being marketed. Maybe place it on a separate site. Explain to new users what directories are, what their place on the web is, and how you determine a dir's quality. Then show them what a typical submission form is, and explain the implausibility of filling hundereds of them. Then, and this is important because of what other auto-submitters have done over the years, explain that auto-submission is perfectly valid, and it's not illegitimate in any way -- just like you don't get a bad reputation among dishes by using a dish washer. Possibly make deals with a few directories to place a button or small indication saying "This directory is synchronized with 'SubmitNow' ", if only to validate this practise for users (I'm sure the directories won't mind, you're advertising them each time someone submits a site with your product).

Good luck with your product. Seriously, it's a gem I didn't expect to find.

Cheers

multithreader, Jul 3, 2006 IP
  20. Saadh

Saadh Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, yeah, i'd like to know when you think your bugs are ironed out.

I do have one more question. If you add more directories, is it easy to resubmit a site already done through your service with the current 265 directories and only have the site added to the new directories?

oh and like multithreader stated, I would definitely be willing to pay a small fee for additional directory patches.

Thanks.

Saadh, Jul 3, 2006 IP