1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Auto-height question

Discussion in 'CSS' started by dada78, May 27, 2005.

I have a question I have the following code - see here:

http://www.trinity.bionicmedia.us/test.htm

My problem: I would like the #flash div expand depending on the amount of text entered in the div #content- container on the right.

Right now I have set the #flash div to "auto-height" but it doesn't expand since the #flash div is outside the #content-container.

How would I go about making the #flash div container expand accordingly without breaking the layout?

I appreciate all your help!

Thanks,
    Dada

dada78, May 27, 2005 IP
  2. Arnica

Arnica Peon

Best Answers:
    'File not found' for me.

Arnica, May 28, 2005 IP
  3. YianG

YianG Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahhhh, same here.

YianG, May 28, 2005 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    For auto-height, you could use a table and set the height to your minimum height. The content in the table will expand it as necessary.

nevetS, May 28, 2005 IP
  5. dada78

dada78 Peon

Best Answers:
    :eek:

Sorry guys that the file was missing but I have found a work-around solution for this, see here: www.trinity.bionicmedia.us/j_martin.htm

I assigned a .gif file as a background image that is set to autoheight and that repeats along the y-axis.

dada78, May 29, 2005 IP
  6. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, I am having a similar problem to this and was about to make a thread about it, but your case is identical to mine.

I have yet to find a good solution!

I am in the process of switching my design way to transitional XHTML, trying to get away from using my old table habit ways.

I have found the DIVS can be very powerful and often times are better than tables, but still they cannot do some of the simplest things tables can do.

In my case I am in the process of designing a simple site. Just 2 columns. However there is no way (without some lame complex css hack) to make the height 100% or to even make them stretch effectively. Both columns need to have a background image, be the same height, and will be centered in the page... so I can't use any absolute positioning crap. I have been researching what I want to do and I havn't found anything yet.

I'm guessing maybe there is no way around it, as of now I am just using one master table for the design, although I am really curious if there is a way to make this work using css/divs.

Attatched is what I am trying to do, and sounds like what dada is trying to attempt as well. If you have any insight on how to make this work without giving in and using tables please to let us know.

Thanks

cheers

Attached Files:

jared, Jun 4, 2005 IP