1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Authority sites

Discussion in 'Directories' started by indyguidedotinfo, Aug 24, 2007.

1. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    It doesn't and I was in a chat about to ask jhrang that but got sidetracked. Reading the whole thread makes a little more sense though and answered one question I suspected of certain tactics used. http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum10003/3219.htm

I do agree with minstrel when he says there's plenty of myth with what Google does or doesn't do but something made me do some thinking when looking at the whole thread of them snippets above and I'm gonna test the theory I have.

@jhrang; I'll take you up on the offer of googling for me and I'll share the results with everyone else as I'm intrigued by something you said and its set me on a mission to establish something. ;)

The Pheonix, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  2. Grokodile

Grokodile Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I think your issue is between you and Google. Google has an algorithm that the public values too highly and their algorithm is not very accurate, in your opinion.

Grokodile, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is why I say --one should only talk when he/she can back-up with authoritative proofs.
    Is that authority directory has any authority?:mad:
    I saw it on Sitepoint--advertising as authority directories.

Those guys are confusing u guys.

I never ever believe something without convincing myself.
    I am supporting sites with site-links as authority sites because i have been studying them for few months now. My purpose of study is to get my own directory ( have 5 of them --but not possible to get sitelinks for all--its too difficult for me atleast) have those coveted sitelinks.

It does not matter if u guys accept it or not--

what matters to me is Google. If gogle prefers them-- I'll go for it.

search for any competitive commercial term/terms on Google and see how many of the top 20 has those site-links.

Here I am talking about real commercial sites --not terms for PPC conversion.

Check a real commercial term here-- and tell me how many of the top 20 sites r showing those sitelinks!

jhnrang, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  4. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    IMHO, sitelink authority status can be gamed in the following manner:

Purchase (or acquire organically) deep links to 5 seperate sections of your website. When you have enough, the algo is "triggered" and you're now an "authority directory" according to some.

Of course the sitelinks are related to search terms only, and the same sitelinks don't turn up when you enter queries, but I think that message is lost on some.

Lexiseek, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  5. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am always there for ya mate. Life is an endless journey of learning-if you believe me. I have lots of things to learn from you--and I sincerely believe you can also learn from me.

I just get pissed off- when some one rubbishes something without knowing about it.:(

jhnrang, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You've misunderstood what I said. I deliberately put "accepted fact" in quotes. There are a lot of "accepted facts" that are not facts at all but rather examples of superstitious thinking and faulty logic. And in the absence of any definitive proof or statement from Goolge, the notion that site links indicate an authority site is an example of that superstitious thinking.

Yes. More or less. I don't dispute the concept of authority sites. I do dispute the claim that there's any evidence to suggest getting site links is indicative of an authority site.

minstrel, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  7. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you already don't have a site with site-links --try your theory and tell me in 6 months. Yes--I give you 6 months to prove me wrong. Its not as easy as you think--

The deeplink enabled directories have brought a new dimension in the SEOing of sub-pages/links. But they are of no help to get those sitelinks--believe me.
    The BOLD point is 100% true.

jhnrang, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  8. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    My issue isn't with Google, at all. They can offer sitelinks to whoever they want. In fact, it takes very few links to become one. Alternative Baby Names has earned some coveted sitelinks. As has Conneaut Lake Park.

No one would consider those websites to be either "powerful" or "highly promoted", which are the two most overused superlatives used at this forum to discuss directories.

If someone can prove that a link purchased from a directory with sitelinks is "more powerful" than one purchased from a directory that doesn't have them, please prove it empirically, or once and for all.

My problem is with the marketing.

9. GoWFB_SEO

GoWFB_SEO Peon

Best Answers:
    other than a directory itself, it got to have some content helping people, such as a blog or something like that

GoWFB_SEO, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  10. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    If I was thinking like many people here, here's what I'd do. I'd approach "Alternative Baby Names" and buy the site for as little as I could. Then I'd call myself the "The Powerful PR5 Alternative Baby Names Directory" and brag about my authority directory status.

That would take much less than 6 months ;)

I'm glad you conceded my point about sitelinks being related to "search terms". That's key, don't you think. Because unless your term was related to the exact text that the alleged authority directory was ranking for, how exactly would purchasing a link from the website increase YOUR authority status or ranking?

11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem --if I misunderstood you.
    I know there is nothing that is called authority site according to Google. Nothig at all. It is just a word/phrase as is Sandbox --a myth among webmasters.

i have been saying from the beginnig that --webmasters introduced that terminology.

You know very well which 2 forums Googlers read. And at the time that term was introduced --Matt hardly started his BLOG. He was still pretty regular on the forum it was introduced.

After repeated request from webmasters-- he neither denied it nor accepted it. I am talking about end of 2005.

But the SS I posted here-- he clearly talks about authority-link-score.

Silence is normally considered as accepting it.

Please check the top 20 results for this extremely commercial term and see how many sites have those site-links!.
    Google is definitely treating them with special cares. You may search many more terms. What you will find is some deep--deep links from big sites are ranking high with irrelevant contents! WHY?

Well --their main domain is authority ( having sitelinks).

The truth is--one can say anything on the net--but what matters is how the big daddy treats certain URLs differently for reasons only they know.

Thats why al these arguments crop up.

jhnrang, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  12. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    Ok, so you know it's a myth but you're working on "achieving" the status day and night. Let me guess why: so you can then advertise yourself as an "authority directory" to people who don't know the difference.

Is that the long and the short of it?

13. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maan (sorry if u r SHE:p)
    Isn't that what I have been talking about?

Authority is a very generic term--it can be put any-way you want to.

But when you search for Alternative Baby Names -- do you see any other site related to it? Any competition? NOPE. Hence --it is the ultimate site for that term--hence an authority --a status given by G for that particular term.
    Check the term here--

Now do you get my point? A site can get authority status with just few backlinks --but thos backlinks have to be from ....... (not disclosing my under-research formula:p)

Most --gets it totally wrong --about authority sites. I understand --i am talking shit lots of people. But -those who are doing research on this can certainly understand what I am saying.

why is Namepros have sitelinks though it has low PR than V7n forum ( not talking about the main V7N site which has them). Why does DP has sitelinks for both its main domain and forums? And why doesn't other sites like DP have them though they have totally unique domain/forum URLs?

Have you ever thought about it seriously?

jhnrang, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  14. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't need to advertise it --for direct benefit.

But as I gave you a term to analyse ( cheap air tickets ) -- you will see that G gives special preference to those sites--and thats my long-term goal.

Go to my main site Best Internet Resource -- at first sight you would think that --Huh--this is another web directory looking for client with no contents.

But hey-- Hang-on there--

Look at the site properly--
    It has over 100 unique articles --covering from Condoms/first-aid tips to keyword positioning.

Thats how I want to earn those site-links and henceforth get the special preference from it.:cool:

jhnrang, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  15. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    I never thought, oh just another web directory, I just thought oh here we go, a directory that digresses from what a directory is supposed to be, but then I took a step back and thought, hold on, if the articles are written well enough and not replicated around the planet by everyone then yeah, it has potential. Your not capitalizing on its true potential the way you have it laid out imho, your idea has scope for even greater improvement but I guess you'll figure or have figured that one out.

Good luck with it though, cool.

The Pheonix, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  16. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    to become authority, you need lots of inbound deeplinks to various parts of your site... oh crap, did I just reveal a secret? :eek:

aspidov, Aug 27, 2007 IP
    banless likes this.
  17. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I have done it. I dont know where and I dont know how but thats why I know that its just more of the same old bullsh*t.
    I believe its wrong. I might not be as bright as some but I work harder than most and object to the fact that this industry is dominated by wide boys whose unscrupulous greed is likely to jeopardises everything I am building.

workshop, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  18. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your comments.
    I know what you are saying.
    YES-- I have figured out --how to do it. But I am doing it very slowly--step-by-step. I feel it does not have to explode on the web.

Also there are some real issues I have to look after. The writer I have now is local (as he is local and does not have much knowledge about the net, his writings are very original. The only problem is-- it takes me long time to edit it to make web standard:() . I am thinking of hiring another local writer to keep feeding my site with quality contents and develop slowly.

BTW, the directory itself is not complete. Need to add lot more quality categories, ned to have unique meta tags --

OHH MAN --lots of work:(

jhnrang, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  19. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Always a pleasure giving a compliment, its so hard to do with most directories as they aren't what they say they are. Who said life's riches come without hard work, it'll be worth it. ;)

The Pheonix, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  20. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    On my way to becoming authority site.....>>>>> maybe in 20 years. :D

Trying very hard also to make improvements to the very best of my ability.

popotalk, Aug 28, 2007 IP