1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Authority sites

Discussion in 'Directories' started by indyguidedotinfo, Aug 24, 2007.

Quick question How does a directory become an authority site and how long does that take?

indyguidedotinfo, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to know that too but i think that a handful of things contribute to it.

Some of those possibly being:

1. Sheer amount of links to the site.
    2. A collection of particular pages, sections of a site, possibly seen as important.
    3. Linking to other well respected sites, not neccessarily authority sites but ones heading that way.
    4. Possibly domain age?

I know that the site being "proper" nice and "legal" does not matter to become an authority site, i know of less than squeeky clean sites that are wearing an Authority crown, things that are supposed to be illegal.

pipes, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Googles decides but if you believe the clap trap that does the rounds amongst those who know about these things :rolleyes: you will believe that pigs can fly. There is not one single directory (other than Yahoo or Dmoz) that gets plugged on this forum that can be considered a genuine authority site and anyone trying to convince you otherwise is stretching a point and deliberately fibbing to you.

workshop, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  4. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree with you. It seems you are the one who decides whether a directory is authoritive or not. :eek::rolleyes:

maldives, Aug 24, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  5. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Thats your perogative but let me ask you whether you honestly believe that Aviva ranks alongside Yahoo and carries that sort of weight with Google? :rolleyes:

6. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So Aviva Directory is no longer an authority site as listed by Google??? Hmmm ok, if you say so.

SilkySmooth, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  7. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    You havent quite got the message as yet. Google says so and there is no way they are going recognise a site like Aviva by any stretch of the imagination. Do you honestly believe all that nonsense about site links? Do me a favour. Thats sales talk and in my mind verges on deliberate misrepresentation against which there are laws in certain countries. I have no doubt it would be difficult to challenge anyone head on but what you should understand is, that by humming that same tune yourself, you only discredit yourself and call your motives into question. Its commonly called shooting yourself in the foot.

The sooner we can get a credible association in place the better it will be for all. There are still a few balloons floating around that need to be popped and buried once and for all. :mad:

8. hotd

hotd Banned

Best Answers:
    if you are tlaking about breakout listings in serps, you need to have a very hierarhcial design on your landing page

hotd, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    indyguidedotinfo likes this.
  9. boron

boron Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Authority site in Google SERPs has up to 4 subpages shown as clickable links. By this description DP is authority site. As you can see, you type the domain in the Google search field and if any subpages are shown in results, the site is authority.

See an explanation here.

It is obviously, that subpages of the site has to have some quality content (at least from Google viewpoint) and I guess some backlinks.

It was said at least once (read under title: Quality/Relevance of Links to External Sites/Pages) that outgoing links to authority sites can help in SERPs. I'm not claiming this - any proof appreciated.

boron, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  10. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Best question for ages. I'm doing some pretty in depth study on this one as I get pretty annoyed at people saying things like 'oooh Avivadirectory' and so on are 'authority directories' when clearly they are no more an authority than me on the cause of famine in Africa. :mad:

Google have it wrong and they know it I'm sure. No disrespect to Avivadirectory and this isn't a personal attack on them they were just the ones mentioned here, (I had to name on example.) Take a look at http://www.avivadirectory.com/Arts-and-Literature/Antiques/ for example, 5 random links plucked from the top 20 of any search engine just to populate the category. Don't tell me 'about' or the BBC paid for the links as I won't believe it.

I could go on and on proving and supporting my view that directories not just Avivadirectory but many others who got this misleading status don't deserve it proving Google's methods are flawed.

Sorry if you all think this is a negative post, its not, It's a god's honest opinion on how BS Google's allocation of 'Authority status' is.

The Pheonix, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually it is not only Aviva Directory who is doing this. I myself am doing this.

There is another theory that is going on-- it is " Not only provide quality listings to webmasters - but also provide quality informations "

Well-- there goes another theory-- "If I want to browse BBC - I might go directly to their sites, why should I go to Aviva and then to BBC? "

But hey - thats the directory owners pre-rogative.

Sorry mate- I have to differ here with ya.:) What Aviva and myself are doing is just adding valuable resources.:) Think from the opposite angle- thats my request.

jhnrang, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  12. The Pheonix

The Pheonix Banned

Best Answers:
    Seen it all before and knew exactly what you guys were doing, and if it rocks your boat then go for it, your directories you run them as you see fit. Me, I think it sucks that directories with less links than my neckchain get a so called 'authority status' and then abuse this by using it as a USP that totally misleads people into thinking its worth paying mega bucks for a link.

You won't convince me otherwise that people actually go to AvivaDirectory to look for valuable resources, its way to easy to find exactly the same things on the first two pages of the search engines and that's a fact none of us can escape.

Again I'm sorry if I'm shattering the illusions that any of these so called 'Authority Directories' save a few, but all I'm pointing out are hard facts.

The Pheonix, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  13. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    You don't think Joe and Jolene Average Internet Surfer are browsing the authority directories, looking for valuable linkage?

Me neither. The "Authority Directory" thing sort of makes certain website owners look bad, IMHO.

Lexiseek, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    The Pheonix and compostannie like this.
  14. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    But the irony here is that Google plays no part in this charade. Its nothing more than an urban legend fanned into something its not, by people who have lost sight of whats ethical and what not.
    Whats new? Same theme just a different song.

workshop, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  15. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem at all.

What hurts me is a directory owner trying to devalue other directory. That is the weakness-we have in our industry and plaguing our industry--THE INTERNAL BICKERING.

Why should directory "A" --is pathetic and why is directory "B" so great???:rolleyes:

All directories simply rock--thats the bottom-line.

I have no -right/jurisdiction to tell you how to Market/Promote/Position your directory. So why do you bother--to say that directory sucks and this rocks --and so and so on ????

Jeff ( sorry to inform that we don't know each other at all --his country and my coutry are atleast 20000KM apart and we have no telephone or IM contacts either --same goes with Chris) has every right to market/promote his directory the way he wants --so do I --and so do you --and all other directory owners.

But I mention Aviva, Sevenseek and Alive again and again because those are the directories --that Google shows sitelinks among all the directories owned by regular DPers.

Now if you think those site-links means nothing --thats a different topic altogether.

My view is --I can tear away your directory -by showing all its weaknesses ---SO is true ---you can attack my directory and tear it by showing its uselessness.

But what do we get in the end for all these? All directories get attacked by outsiders--ISN'T THE BOTTOMLINE?

Hope you get my point.

Regards -John

jhnrang, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 and pipes like this.
  16. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Why did Google pull the plug on PR?
    You cant be serious. Are you suggesting that we should all be turning a blind eye to this sort of deceit? Are you suggesting that every directory master should even be supporting you in this blind folly?
    Are you saying that you can see nothing wrong with taking a word like Authority Site out of context and deliberately misrepresenting a situation just so you can Market/Promote/Position your directory. Its not right. What dont you understand about that? We, every single one of us has a responsibility, we have an obligation to expose the sham for what it is before you wreck this industry in its entirety? Time to wake up and smell the roses sunshine. What do you think Google has ben trying to tell you all this time? :eek:

17. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Check this out

This USED TO BE one of my sites before I sold it

http://www.google.com/search?q=alte...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Its an authority site and looks like ass, so whoever said that you need the right home page design is wrong

Oh yea the site is "alternative baby names" .com

Alternative Baby Names
    Boy and girl baby names listed by categories. Search for alternative and unique names.
    www.alternativebabynames.com/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages
    Uncommon Baby Names - www.alternativebabynames.com/index.php?goto=uncommo...
    All New Names - www.alternativebabynames.com/index.php?goto=allnew
    Irish Baby Names - www.alternativebabynames.com/index.php?goto=irish_baby...
    Popular Baby Names for 2006 - www.alternativebabynames.com/index.php?goto...
    More results from www.alternativebabynames.com »

sundaybrew, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  18. wildweb

wildweb Peon

Best Answers:
    AMEN!

@Workshop....I admire your fortitude in trying to convince the Link Pimps here. You never give up.

One of these days...they will understand. Until then..they will continue to pimp their sites to each other and worship the PR bar. One day they might also realize (what has been posted and reposted 100's of times) that average Joe Blow user doesn't have a frickin clue what PR or authority is nor will the average user have even heard of even the largest directories mentioned anywhere here in this forum. Average user just knows the big three.

The best any pimp in here can hope for is to be targeting the searched keyword and "just happen" to show up in the big three search engine pages for that keyword. What happens then is that Joe user may click on that pimps link....but what happens then?? Joe User has been deceived and then goes back to the big three to re-search. Joe User isn't going to spend a damned second on some two bit directory searching for anything unless maybe it happens to be a niche site.

tom

wildweb, Aug 25, 2007 IP
    LeopardAt1 likes this.
  19. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    looks like a good topic turned into a big mess.

Appreciate if we could get back to the topic and exchagne some good ideas on how to get Authority Status
    Thanks

stock_post, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  20. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    The quick answer is you dont. Its a scam. Nothing more.

adnan likes this.