1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AuctionAds - How does it work for you?

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by muiomuio, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have 5 pages that see hit once maybe twice a week, and usually me checking. They have for the better part been right on with my keywords. The same applies to most of my other pages that all get less then 100 impressions daily. I rarely have an issue with incorrect ads.

Though, when everyone is complaining, I generally am as well, like today I'm showing dog clothes on my occult site. :confused:

So I don't think it's really a matter of traffic, more of an issue with something else (but certainly cache)

*nod* It would have been a better move to focus on the known issues rather then how things look. Displaying better ads does not mean a whole lot if the clicks on those ads are not reporting. *shrug*

Though, *raises glass* heres to this being a step in the right direction!

Qryztufre, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  2. guerilla

guerilla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I took the blog post and design to mean that they were serious about making changes, but not fixing the targeting and reporting before overhauling the design and adding more ad styles is disappointing.

Oh well. Back to watching from the sidelines. Still can't recommend that people use AA over Adsense or any other publisher who reports somewhat accurately.

guerilla, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  3. Nathy

Nathy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well all you guys seem to know what is needed out of AA :rolleyes: So why not make your own? I'm sure there will be an alternative made eventually.
    I am thinking of doing it myself for personal use.

Nathy, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  4. ruby

ruby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We have thought about it I'll be honest but I got way too much going on at the moment...

ruby, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  5. netstorm

netstorm Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't prefer auction ads, the problem is most niches will pull up at max a 20 dollar item, then you get a cut from that. For every 50 clicks you may get 1 sale, and a small commission. Adsense has done way better then auction ads ever did for me. Personally I think it's making the owners rich, although im sure some sites make decent profits off of it.

netstorm, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  6. frychiko

frychiko Peon

Best Answers:
    There's one already:
    http://easyadslive.com
    from member bc1 in these forums.

frychiko, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  7. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    Anybody try easyadslive yet? What is that "Code" box for on the signup page?

geomark, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  8. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I don't think it's that easy, I have a suspicion that Ebay itself are causing these problems with Auction Ads, they were working perfectly two months ago. So if there was a glitch it would be an easy fix.

This goes way past that and the problems are all to do with reporting, something that ebay has control over.

Cyclops, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  9. racketboy

racketboy Peon

Best Answers:

The ads themselves look to bulky...
    Wouldn't work very well for me...

racketboy, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  10. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you're right. They should go for the minimal look without all that bulky border.

geomark, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  11. bc1

bc1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unlikely to be eBay causing it... I haven't seen any major issues with the API for a long time. The new Shopping API has been, in my experience, much faster and at least a little more reliable, that's why I use it for my ads. There's no caching just instant results.

Ian

bc1, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  12. bc1

bc1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can enter a code in that box that gets you a 50% discount on 'Pro' membership. If anyone wants the code, send me a PM, I'd rather not post it publicly!

Ian

bc1, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  13. bc1

bc1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How's this for minimal? :D

http://easyadslive.com/borders.html

Ian

bc1, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  14. frychiko

frychiko Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not a fan of the ebay logo or the easyadslive logo (but this one can be removed as you mention), it would break up the flow on my site.. everything else looks great though.

frychiko, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  15. bc1

bc1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your feedback frychiko. The eBay logo is a requirement of using the API, I have to show it with eBay content, no choice there I'm afraid. The positive side of this is it links to the sign up page for the country you are displaying ads for so for example you get those nice $25 new member sign up payments with eBay.com :)

And the optional EAL logo is part of the affiliate program, you get 70% of new members subscriptions when they sign up at the Pro level through your ad. It's easy to take out though, just put '&nologo=yes' in the ad code.

Ian

bc1, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  16. WarBud

WarBud Peon

Best Answers:
    I am still using AA, but just a very minimal amount in poor positions to see if/when reporting will be fixed. I am still seeing only 1-5 clicks/day compared to 50-100 of the past. Revenue still shows up randomly with amounts from .01 to 15.50.

I keep trying out alternatives for the former ad spots of AA. None so far have made as much as AA. The great performance of AA (before all the issues) in mediocre ad spots is the only reason I haven't dropped them completely.

WarBud, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  17. rocky22

rocky22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Been trying out EasyAdsLive, and I really like the EasyAdBuilder software that you can download. It's way easier to customize your layout and results than with AuctionAds, and of course... it works :)

The downside to EasyAdsLive is that it isn't able to randomize the results (no caching?), giving you very static ads. I think one of the main reasons AuctionAds has been doing so well, is the dynamics of the ads. Sporting "fresh" items with every page refresh is a major advantage over just showing the same item, especially for me who run an automotive site where people are constantly looking for parts.

bc1: Any way to incorporate caching or similar technique to provide random items?

rocky22, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  18. rocky22

rocky22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Another good thing with EasyAdsLive is the instant reports. The "Total ad views" updates as soon as I refresh a page.

rocky22, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  19. bc1

bc1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi rocky22,

There is always a way :D That's the nice thing about being able to talk with the developer, you can get what you want :cool:

It just depends how you want it to work. The results are the same when you refresh them because it's the same 'live' eBay search, not some randomly chosen cached results. Each ad item links directly to that item at eBay, not just to a search page. One thought I had was to randomly change the order of the search results (Best match/time ending/number of bids/price) so you would see different items every time. Or I can make it rotate through different search words. You could put keyword1|keyword2|keyword3 and it would use a different keyword each time.

I've set up some forums if anyone wants to give some feedback and tell me what they really want in their ads:

http://easyadslive.com/forum

It's bound to be a little quiet there for a while, but at least you'll have me for company :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Ian

bc1, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  20. bc1

bc1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok rocky,

Give it a try now, tell me if it's 'random' enough.

Thanks,

Ian

bc1, Aug 28, 2007 IP