1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Auction Sites

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by nfzgrld, Feb 5, 2005.

I was looking around for smaller auction sites to do some auction marketing. I'm not interested in using ebay as it's really gotten too big and I don't want to get burried under a ton of similar/same items. I went to Amazon and set something up there, but I'd like to find some smaller sites to do auctions at. The problem is simple.

I must have checked out at least 10 this morning and all of them had the same situation. Several products in many of the categories, but every single one of them had exactly the same number of bids: Zero. There are some pretty good sites out there, one I like is bid-alot.com. They have several thousand items up for bid, but not one that I could find has been bid on by anyone. Anyone out there got a line on a smaller auction site that customers are actually using?

nfzgrld, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Got some pottery to auction? We are doing pretty well. At least in the short time we have had our auctions live. http://auctions.mccoypottery.com

We've had about 40 items sell since going live a few months ago. It's a niche thing though.. McCoy Pottery that is.

I am thinking about expanding and starting another auction site that is just a general free for all. I'd gather I could get more mileage out of the niche market though as the WoM is a bit easier to get. Anyway, I am just amazed that there are almost 200 subs in such a short time for such niche market and such an unknown site :) No advertising, just WoM

Mia, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  3. nfzgrld

nfzgrld Peon

Best Answers:
    No, pottery is not what I'm doing. Too bad though, sounds like you've got something good going on there.

nfzgrld, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  4. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A friend of mine just opened up BlogBid. Only a few days old. The unique application of this auction site compared to others is it provides the engine. You get individual links for your auctions and get to place them on your sites where your users can bid on them without leaving your site. It was originally designed for bloggers, but I can see other applications for it. Interesting concept, and hope it works out for my friend.

roadies, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  5. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    The only one I can think of is Trademe.co.nz in New Zealand. It has really taken off, it's worth having a look though, just to see that ebay don't rule everywhere....that said any other auction site that looks promising gets bought out by ebay.

Cyclops, Feb 8, 2005 IP