1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

auction site rescricted items

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by lapowerlifter242, Jul 7, 2008.

I am about to push live a niche auction site (yes another one) I am working on the items that are not allowed, and came up with this question. How do I determine what not to allow? I know not to allow illegal items but is it the users responsibility if they auction something that I miss? Is there anyway that I can get sued for allowing an auction with some illegal material go through? I am not attempting to allow these things but I cannot, nor can an attorney know every illegal item in the world much less the USA. I have heard from someone that when it comes to the internet, the users can post anything onto your site and you cannot be held respnosible is this true? Like I said I am not attempting to break any rules I just don't want to get burned.

I am putting in the terms and conditions that the site is strictly a website to connect buyers to sellers, and vice versa and that the user assumes all responsibility for their listings and transactions. I will also have a hold harmless clause do you think this will be enought?

lapowerlifter242, Jul 7, 2008 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can be held liable. Louis Vuitton was just awarded $63 million against eBay because the court ruled they (eBay) didn't do enough to stop the sale of counterfeit goods. A TOS isn't going to waive all liability - and no TOS can prevent someone from suing you.

Hire an attorney to write a TOS that will give you as much protection as legally possible and look into setting up an entity like a corporation or LLC to limit your personal exposure.

mjewel, Jul 8, 2008 IP