1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Atheism's Unanswerable Question:

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Nehemiah, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Seems that's what you're doing, If I'm to accept Dodara's statement as true then it must not only apply to the universe, but god as well. Do you have an answer that does not contradict this statement?
    "But we have to admit logically that any thing has to be created or generated by something else and we all know that that a thing can not be created by nothing !!!! "

Roman, May 19, 2009 IP
  2. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My simple idea still holds water.
    ∞

Jackuul, May 19, 2009 IP
  3. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like a hamster trying to figure out a rubics cube.

@Roman: Very clever, and entirely valid. The concept of the infinite is a difficult one to deal with. In answer to your question, "Who created God" one atheist who apparently spent his life writing about entropy proposed the idea that not only does god exist, but that we created him, and will create him again and again over infinite time.
    http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
    It is certainly plausible.

@stOx: I think one of the reasons most people hate religion is because of the need some of the religious have to foist their beliefs on others. One of the best things about being an agnostic is that I can discuss and appreciate these different concepts without having to insult other peoples beliefs as "bronze age myths supported by nothing at all". When it comes to the start of life, there is support for a variety of beliefs, and proof of none, so why would anyone need to be insulting about something for which there is no proof? We keep coming back to the childhood priest molestation scenario, as the number of other plausible explanations gets lower and lower.

Obamanation, May 19, 2009 IP
  4. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A very true statement.

I myself am also an agnostic. I believe the belief in man made religion is ridiculous. But not the possibility that God exists in some form. Well hell, now that the site is back up, here's exactly what I believe.

Contrary to your belief though, I find it quite easy to understand atheist frustration with the religious. I can also see how the religious can get frustrated with and just flat out try to avoid atheists.

It's like you said, "proof of none". I can understand how an atheist views the religious ideology as primitive or even foolish to a point because they are basing their belief and ideology on something there is no proof of. They live their life within the guidelines of it with no proof. They worship a being that hasn't been proven to exist. They believe in heaven and hell with no proof that they exist. They even contribute money to it, which in some cases ends up in projects that do real good in the world. But in other cases end up in the pockets of greedy men or in beautifying a place to worship a being that there is no proof exists. They proudly proclaim that they don't need proof. They can take it on faith that God exists.... I say, let's be honest, you took someone's word for it....

I can also understand the religious disdain for atheists. Because from a religious standpoint it's absolutely absurd to bet the future of your immortal soul that God doesn't exist when there is no proof that he doesn't exist. Atheists boldly proclaim their superiority of position but it is a false sense derived from arguing with religious people over religion. Not philosophers and non-religious theists over the existence of God. There's a huge difference.

GeorgeB., May 19, 2009 IP
  5. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Interestingly to see the parallels between the definition for agnostic provided by your link and those we dscusseed earlier.
    I was pleased to see the amount of nuance in the definition.
    Normally, I think definitions should be precise but sometimes a too many different words would be necessary to concisely describe something as varied as a theological belief system. This leaves us using a word that "generally" describes a group of people, with lots of variance, provisos, and exceptions.

From my observation, many of the churches in my area seem to be social clubs that unite a people behind a philosophy. Have they removed "God" from their teachings? No, but in many ways, use of the word "God" provides the higher moral authority to define right and wrong. Even our constitution, while secular in nature, was drafted based on the philosophy of people like John Locke who believed in natural law and the need for a higher authority. Should we then call all Americans idiots who believe in the "Magic man in the sky"?

My point is that these generalizations about the "beliefs of Christians", or any other religion for that matter, are exactly that. Generalizations. My guess is that there are a large number of people who are church going to be socially active, philosophically nurtured, or perhaps to contribute to the underprivileged. Sure there are those who caught up in faith healing, strapping bombs to their chests, and taking poison to join the hale bop comet. There are also the devout who take every word of the bible as literal. I don't have charts that break apart theists by level of devotion and belief but I suspect you will find those people representing the minority, perhaps the extreme minority of the religious in the U.S.

Personally, I sometimes wish the hardcore pushy Atheists had belief in a Moral authority, if only to clue them in that generalizing people and then attacking them based on those generalizations are the actions of a bigot.

6. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    I'd like to believe in God, but I will never believe in religion.

Roman, May 19, 2009 IP
  7. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Church is still a great place to meet horny young girls. Can't tell me your against that!

8. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    I have a horny wife and quite frankly 1 woman is enough, too many headaches with women, so that makes church pretty much useless to me.

But I did go to church for that exact reason when I was single.:D

Roman, May 19, 2009 IP
  9. Rochishma.B.Narender

Rochishma.B.Narender Peon

Best Answers:
    Universe came from big bang and dis question came from big brain

Rochishma.B.Narender, May 19, 2009 IP
  10. Rochishma.B.Narender

Best Answers:
    Human consciousness is the state of knowing everything around us through the five senses.

11. Rochishma.B.Narender

Best Answers:
    God has no origin and end

12. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Aww, did we kick the shit out of your argument and leave it rotting in the curb?

nevermind, just post some inane diatribe about you throwing leaves in the air expecting a cat to form.

stOx, May 20, 2009 IP
  13. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    In other words, after ignoring everything posted stOx declares... "I WIN!!" HAHAHA:D

Shazzaam!!!

Obamanation, May 20, 2009 IP
  14. suman817

suman817 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And what does your God Father (God) say about the universe? Your God Father even said wrong about the earth! From his description, the shape of earth is like a disc :rolleyes:. What your God Father said about the universe, I don’t care. What science says about the universe is the answer of atheists.

suman817, May 21, 2009 IP
  15. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh. wow, is this my topic... Very religious girls are easy to hack into. All that suppressed passion and sexuality, etc. You make them feel safe, and convince them that it will stay a secret, and then step back and let them make the choice for themselves. Seriously, they are like robots, it's almost too easy.:D

Corwin, May 21, 2009 IP
  16. wd_2k6

wd_2k6 Peon

Best Answers:
    wtf you freaks you've got serious issues

wd_2k6, May 23, 2009 IP