1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

At last, world renowned copywriter shares the secret to success so hot he can’t keep it to himself

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by SCookAAM, Sep 23, 2014.

Dear Friends,
    Have you ever wondered why the big name writers in the world – the Gary Halberts, the Bob Blys, the Dan Kennedys and the Scott Cooks – make thousands every month (the ones that are still alive)? Or even thousands every day? Do you know that they have something you don’t?
    It’s nothing special – you actually have it too and I want to share this secret with you. I’ll get to it in a moment, but first I want to tell you something you probably won’t believe.
    The line between a writer who struggles to scrape a few hundred bucks from the ether and those well-known names I listed above is so fine, you might not even realize it when you finally cross it.
    Of course, the additional zeros in your bank account will be a pretty big clue.
    So what’s the secret? What special skills, knowledge or innate ability do the top copywriters on Earth have that you don’t know?
    Are you sure you want to know – it’s pretty surprising and may even piss you off.
    I don’t think you’re ready yet – I’ll tell you though – first let me extol the benefits of being on the right side of the line.
    1. An incredible sense of security in knowing where your next meal is coming from
    2. A feeling of power that you may never have known – this comes from being the master of your own destiny
    3. Being looked upon as a genius – even if you secretly don’t think you are
    4. Thoroughly enjoying your work
    5. The wonderful feeling you get when you can tell all of those $1 or $2 for 100 word cheapies to kiss your ass
    6. Making in an hour what you used to struggle to earn in a week – or even a month!
    7. Quitting your day job
    8. Nobody telling you when to eat, sleep, get up or pee
    9. Being sought after instead of constantly seeking
    10. Truly knowing that tomorrow is going to be even better than today!
    If you’re really clever, you may have already figured out what the big secret is just from this partial list of benefits. If you haven’t, you’re still clever, I’ve just hidden the message in plain sight.
    I know, you’re probably saying get on with it, Scott!
    Okay, okay. Here it is:
    The big secret that differentiates you from the world’s most famous – and highest paid – copywriters is…
    YOU!
    That’s right! Well, it’s not quite that simple. Well, yes, maybe it is. Let me expound, treasured reader.
    I’ll give you two little critical tidbits that can put you on the other side of the line:
    1. Stop accepting the garbage. If you don’t raise your game, nobody else will.
    2. If you know that you’re valuable – I mean really know – others will to.
    This sounds so simple, doesn’t it? You’re probably thinking that this big revelation is hardly that. But, on the contrary my friend!
    Yes, there’s a lot more to being a Gary Halbert, Bob Bly, Dan Kennedy, Claud Hopkins or Scott Cook than just those last two points. But the true essence is there – especially that part about you not being where you want to be is because of you.
    You get in life what you believe you get.
    Okay, now I want to give you an added bonus. Just to sweeten the pot, just to make sure you really think this secret is too hot for me to keep inside.
    This letter is just the beginning. You’ve got more to learn, and luckily, there are a lot of resources from which you can learn – from every one of the writers I’ve mentioned here.
    From the mechanical side, one of the best things you can do to become a better – or more accurately better paid – writer, is to… WRITE!
    Yes, that’s right – write – writing will help your writing. Honestly, writing for a client is really the best because you truly have to perform.
    I’m going to give you a little hint. In my signature, there are two links. One is to my own website, which you’re welcome to visit if you’re curious. The other link will take your writing career to an entirely new level if you decide to click it.
    That’s all I’ll say about that.
    My friends, those of you who aren’t on the good side of the imaginary line – I wish you only the best. You have within you the power to cross the line. Even though it’s an extremely fine line, and you’re almost there now, crossing it is going to take a bit of hard work. And most of that work has nothing to do with writing.
    You can do it if you believe you can
    Sincerely,
    Scott Cook
    World renowned copywriter
    PS – This letter comes to you as I sit on my back patio overlooking Tampa Bay – or northeast of Jewfish Creek, as Gary Halbert used to say – or north of the Conch Republic as I may start saying. Peace!

SCookAAM, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  2. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There.

I summed up that wall of text fairly nicely, I think.
    Does that about cover it?

Senobia, Sep 24, 2014 IP
    sweetpea69, jrbiz and matt_62 like this.
  3. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, Senobia, that is not correct. This is not an ebook loaded with free stuff you can find on Google.

I do offer a guarantee and would honor it - if anyone had asked.

It's nice of you to judge something whithout knowing what's inside, though.

it's ok if you don't want it, it's not for everyone - but to trash me without really knowing the whole story is very telling.

SCookAAM, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    "It's not just what you know, it's how you share it."

Problem is when you make your offering look like every other snake oil salesman's offering, people will assume you're selling crap too.

YMC, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  5. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, perhaps I should've just left well enough alone. I've spent 2 years here and this is the first time I actually promoted something directly.

I did it because I believe it's useful to help writers earn a living.

However, I guess it was a mistake. I wouldn't judge something and someone without knowing the real story, but that's me.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this seems like snake oil or something.

6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think people are suspicious of anyone coming on a forum and appearing to dump their entire sales letter. It's been done so very many times that folks, like myself and apparently Senobia, often associate the practice with folks who are not sincere. Particularly since 98% of the time they are selling garbage.

I think you forgot the #1 rule of copywriting - know your audience. When your audience is a group of writers and copywriters, they tend to not react well to "Dear Friends" followed by a long sales letter.

YMC, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  7. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    perhaps. Perhaps.

Then again, a group of copywriters would recognize it too.

Well, nobody's perfect. All I can say is - I can back up my claims, my teachings and my income. The point of this was to help the mvtvast numbr of writers on here who are frustrated because they aren't aaking any money.

That's the audience - but I suppose it was bound to rub a few people the wrong way.

As they say, if you're making everyone happy, you're doing something wrong.

And that's all I'll say about that.

Sxcept when I wrote 'Dear Friend"... I meant it.

I'd delete this post if I could now.

8. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is that machine translated from Swahili or something.
    N.

Nigel Lew, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  9. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not saying you’re trying to sell snake oil …..... your book no doubt must be good. But the bottom-line is – DO YOU REALLY NEED AN EBOOK TO LEARN HOW TO BECOME A SUCCESSFUL COPYWRITER? Isn’t it more about what you learn individually and in person all the way through? You’ve shared your experiences in this course but do you HONESTLY think they will apply for everyone who aspires to be a good copywriter?
    I suggest taking a look here to see how copywriting norms changed over the years – http://advertising.about.com/od/careersource/a/The-Changing-Face-Of-Copywriting.htm. What you write pertaining to the current market scene will definitely lose its validity and pertinency down the line.
    Moreover, the web is stuffed with information about this. So many successful copywriters have thrown blogs and social media pages. Why not simply follow them instead of reading ebooks which more often than not give you a run for your money?
    I don’t mean to sound harsh but your very opening post here seems like an exact replication, not even an adaptation, of the sales letter you are/may be pitching elsewhere to promote your e-course. Lackluster and stripped of any personalized touch or value, it doesn’t really give off the best impression.

NO OFFENSE INTENDED HERE, but this is just how things are coming across.

Content Maestro, Oct 23, 2014 IP
  10. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Be far more effective if you took the stance of "How I became a world renowned copywriter" Or "How I became a successful copywriter". (If you have become successful as a copywriter) You would then discuss your experience, your ups and downs, your tips and tricks you have learned over the years, etc. Your title is misleading because in your sales pitch, you talk about other writers, how to be great like them. I don't know who those people are. I'm not taking a course and learning directly from one of them. The title leads me to believe that I would be learning from you. Or at least a single person that should be mentioned in your opening. Who is the world renowned copywriter that is going to share his secret?

If your target audience are people on this board and elsewhere who are struggling to get their name out there and attract the high paying offers they seek, then you would do far better to take the personal approach. I would want to hear from a writer who has been where I am now and became someone I desire to be. Your sales pitch / opening letter does not convey that to me at all. I don't know who you are, so why would I be interested in what you have to say? I don't even know which copywriter is going to share the secret. Sure, read further down and you refer to "Scott", but who is Scott? Did Scott write this or someone else that compiled information and offering for sale? It's just your sales pitch isn't clear.

Why would I spend my money to learn from you? That's what you need to convey. Who are you? Why should I learn from you? What are you going to teach me? Currently, you are not clear in conveying that message, which makes your pitch seem more fluff, the snake oil salesman approach, then genuine.

If the person is the world renowned copywriter that he claims to be, his sales pitch would certainly be more polished, more focused, more personal, appear more genuine. This attempt does read like the thousands of other generic pitches, full of hype and little value.

TextServices, Oct 23, 2014 IP
    matt_62 and Content Maestro like this.
  11. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong, but I think his book would probly not beneficent someone such as yourself, as you are already a skilled writer. The people that will likely benefit the most are those starting out... and sadly the price tag is (or was when I last looked) too high for this bracket.

OP, Personally, I will buy books, even If I know the subject very well, simply in case I learn 1 thing. @$10-$25 this book could be a bargain, but at the price you had it on for before, its hard for anyone to justify that sort of expense.

@op, people like Senobia are highly respected for their writing skills. What if you asked them to review it. As I see it, you have nothing to lose.

matt_62, Oct 24, 2014 IP
  12. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    It was a general statement, not referring to myself or anyone in particular. Whether I'm in the target market or not, is irrelevant. My post was more food for thought on how to revise the pitch to gain more interest, convey credibility to increase sales. The current pitch isn't focused or credible at all. Not saying that the author isn't credible or that he/she isn't offering something of value, it's just the pitch left me with a feeling of hesitation, questioning whether or not to purchase versus wanting to purchase it immediately. (and yes... I have and still do purchase these types of eBooks, courses, etc because you never know what you may learn)

I've been where the target audience currently is now. I "get it". I will still occasionally bid on an odd job or apply for one here or other resources to fill-in the schedule when there's a slump with regular clients work. It's a competitive, brutal market. If you want weekend fun money, it's not so bad. If you need to pay the bills, it's a whole other ball game. This is why I prompted the questions I did. The food for thought. If the author truly has something of value that could really benefit the target audience, it needs to be conveyed in a genuine way. People are spending their hard earned money. The target audience needs to have a sense of trust in the author, the pitch needs to be believable, before people will part with their money. Even for small amounts like $10 or $20. (The current sale price is $47.) We aren't talking about downloading a song or ap for $.99. $10 or $20 can be applied to a kids weekly lunch money, gas in the car, etc. Then to ask for $47.00, raises the bar that much higher to get people to part with that amount of money.

The pitch was to get people to go to the website to get the eBook. I wasn't motivated to do that because I didn't have faith in what I was being told. That's an issue. Sure, some people will go to the site. Some might even be ready to buy immediately. But, how many readers aren't going to the website because they got the same feeling as me? You want to cover all your bases as much as possible to maximize the potential for click-thru's to the site and ultimately sales. Even if you place the "buy now" link directly in the pitch, you have to make readers feel confident in their decision to click that link. Even more so in regards to how much the product sells for. The higher the price tag, the more believable, credible the pitch needs to appear to be.

TextServices, Oct 25, 2014 IP
    matt_62 likes this.
  13. SCookAAM

SCookAAM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some very good thoughts in these last few comments. Actual considered feedback, thank you.

Just remember, I was drunk when I wrote this lol

I think TextServices makes a great couple of points. And while I appreciate the thoughts, Matt, I don't know aobut the price.

That's one of those things to play with. Honestly, $47 is pretty small money compared with the potential value. if I didn't do a good job this time of conveying that, then I need to rethink it.

For example, I just purchases a CD set from Bob Bly for $100.

Like TS says, you never know what you'll learn.

We live, we learn. I'm not infallible, obviously :)

SCookAAM, Oct 27, 2014 IP
  14. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    $47 may be very less for you as you are the seller. But what about the buyer? How are you going to convince the buyer that your book is worth the said price? If this is a pilot launch, it will be very hard to gather that sort of market. Maybe you can offer some first few copies for a lower but introductory price. Once a few people are convinced about your book's worth, you can use their positive reviews and testimonials to boost further sales.

Content Maestro, Nov 2, 2014 IP