1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

At a complete loss, yahoo=high, google=nowhere

Discussion in 'Websites' started by klafata, Sep 4, 2004.

As an avid reader of these forums, I thought I would have a basic idea of doing SEO on my website. I've been at it for 8 months or so and have been seeing strange/bad (at least to me) results.

First, this is my own company's web site. The site is www.highorbit.com and I'm trying to optimize on the phrase "workflow automation"

Without any specific modifications, yahoo has ranked the site between #4 and #15.

Under google, I can't even find it in the top 10000 (I'm not sure how far down you can go with google)

The site shows a PR4 (for at least 5 months), and I have a handful of links back into the site (from link exchanges, and other assoicates).

I've tried a few things to get more links into the site including writing an article or two. Some have been picked up and published by pr6 and 7 sites. The articles point to www.workflow-automation.com which does a 501 redirect (redirect permanent) back to www.highorbit.com

Up until a few months ago, google seemed to classify almost all of my pages "similar" because there was common text on the left navigation table. I may have done a "no-no" by looking at the user-agent text to see whether or not to include the table, but google now seems to view my pages as distinct. (i.e. google will see the pages slightly differently than a human surfer)

Other than that, I use "workflow automation" in the titles, in anchor text (in fact "allinanchor:workflow automation" ranks us #2 in google), header tags, and bold tags (in various places).

I'm really running out of ideas. Any help, advice, even criticism (I can take it).

Am I hosing the site with the "user-agent" conditional check?

Could the 501 redirect be messing things up?

Could the site just not be big enough for google to care?

Could the site be "banned" or something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Kevin LaFata

klafata, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  2. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Believe it or not - I'm going to say I think you need some links from higher pagerank pages to give you a boost.

Have you looked at the report on the mcdar keyword tool?

I'd get it listed in www.bluefind.com ($50 once = 1 link)[pagerank] and http://sbd.bcentral.com ($50 annual = ~22 links)[anchortext]

That should really lift it.

Dominic, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    verification: sbd.bcentral.com

schlottke, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  4. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks - post edited.

Dominic, Sep 4, 2004 IP
  5. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could also do a few things to help boost you in G.

Take advantage of your <h> tags.

Your meta tags are not above the </head> tag.

More content and less graphics.

Find out who are linking to your competitors in G and have them link to you as well.

Absolutely NOT banned: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=site:www.highorbit.com

And as S and D recommended, register at those two sites to help.

NewComputer, Sep 4, 2004 IP