1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Associate O matic store and duplicate content problem

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Dave Hybrid, Dec 6, 2006.

1. begemot

begemot Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know about AOM, but some other scripts could be customised very easy. It's not really blog-like, just customised template. I don't think that template could make big difference in Google rankings. What really makes difference (from my experience) is niche site with original content. Then you can add your store into directory. And I also feel that deep indexing of this store is not a good thing.

begemot, Dec 13, 2006 IP
  2. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Peon

Best Answers:
    Does the dup content penalty only apply to Google or will the pages that get picked up from Yahoo and MSN get removed as well?

I'm getting a lot of traffic from yahoo search and I was just curious of that is going to stay around or get removed.

RaginBajin, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  3. myhart

myhart Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I noticed of Amazon affiliate pages listed in Yahoo & MSN. The page count would sometimes climb to several thousand pages or more. Then the number of pages indexed would simply drop to next to nothing.

Have fun and enjoy while it lasts. However don't bet the farm on it!!! :eek:

myhart, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  4. blackbug

blackbug Peon

Best Answers:
    So you're expecting to rank using content that's available from a blatently obvious source without any of your own content, and are surprised that it went supplemental?

You need to give the search engines a reason to show your pages. Be it unqueness, or deep links into the product pages themselves.

Otherwise, why should they show your pages? What's the reason. What's their motivation to pick you from any old joe who can throw up a site?

Failing that, drive traffic to your store via other means (like an successful site that the search engines have reason to visit).

blackbug, Dec 14, 2006 IP
  5. Dave Hybrid

Dave Hybrid Active Member

Best Answers:
    Will having a unique custom script help at all?

Dave Hybrid, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  6. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the points being made above are that you need custom content. How you choose to package won't matter as much as what's inside the box.

nicknick, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  7. fortgo

fortgo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

What's really weird there is that they have such a high PR
    while their shop.php is on every page, so they haven't even
    made their pages look SEO friendly...I guess these people
    were among the 1st to build an AOM shop within their site :)

fortgo, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  8. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    if i chose not to pull all the reviews from amazon (what i do)...would it be benefitial since the same reviews as on amazon are not in my site ?

How exactly would you go to integrate AoM w/ custom content ? I mean..the basics are clear...you can add addtional pages...you can add a forum...but the AoM store itself...well it pulls the products off amazon..how would you customize ? eg. custom descriptions etc..etc..

GeorgR., Dec 23, 2006 IP
  9. fortgo

fortgo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, nice talking about unique content with your Amazon shop
    however, from experience I can tell you that it is not working.
    People are looking to shop - not to read info about the products
    they'd like to buy. Take as example my earlier Amazon shop:
    www.pccloseout.com This is an unique content shop.
    Results? Terrible, SE wise as well as NOT ONE SALE! Ever...
    A poor PR 1 for almost 1 year. Anybody's comment please???

MY AOM shop however has been sucked dry by Google's bot and in
    the first 4 to 6 weeks it made a boom in sales, until it dropped
    down as a stone SERP wise. However it has at this very moment
    301000 indexed pages and 633 links, against the more than an year
    old earlier mentioned shop above , which has 7650 indexed and 6 links
    with Google. And did I mention that the AOM shop exists since the 1st
    of September 2006, against the old one - almost 6 years old now?

The other difference is that the pc shop is not made with the AOM
    software. So, according to me, unless I throw several hundred $$$
    or a few thousand in high PR linking, this Unique content shop will
    stay as it is now - with little or non SE ranking, thus no traffic and
    no sales.

I do need advice as to how to keep Google's bot from sucking
    my server's CPU dead... 19.9 GB a day is really killing my server.
    I do not want to keep the bot off my site totally, however the
    way it goes now I really don't see the use, as I only get about
    65 to 80 uniques a day from Google, while at it's top the shop
    was getting between 400 and 780 a day, and I didn't have any
    trouble with the band width and CPU that the bot does now.

Thank you and wishing everyone Happy Holidays!

fortgo, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  10. mr_dean

mr_dean Peon

Best Answers:
    People usually buys from sites they trust. Authorities. And from sites which provides interesting but uniques products. I think it is difficult to perform nice with amazon store. If you don't provide something interesting as part of niche website.

mr_dean, Dec 23, 2006 IP
  11. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:

not that i am competent in internet-marketing AT ALL (besides from the occasional ebook i read and the forums etc.)

but

>>>
    PC Closeout is the place to go for the best discount prices on computers and equipment.
    >>>

i could've told you that WAY EARLIER.....there is no way that a little man/middle man cn even be halfway competitve with a online store with a WIDE range of PCs/hardware.

I myself am very well a hardware enthusiast and PC builder and i know "the scene" so to speak...there are a bunch of big stores (ZZF, newegg, mwave) where peopel buy components...and then there is Dell, maybe TigerDirect.

Why the hell would anyone go to small rel. unknown store and buy components/PCs there...were your prices better, your service ? MIND YOU....compare to DELL...or to online retailers like newegg.

Then state one reason why you should've had more traffic.

the ONLY way (imho, and i can be totally wrong)...and actually this is what i am doing right NOW is targeting a NICHE (also within PC components)...or a combination of hardware....say, targeted at high-end gamers who can buy a specific add-on, then i will have the matching hardware Y for THIS addon and maybe even a bunch of software. (Escuse me if i dont go too much into details..i am always panicking someone might steal my idea :) Anyway the key is NICHE.

I will also have a forum...the good thing about what i will sell is that i am VERY enthusiastic about it and also on many forums...not onyl can people get relatively competive pricing there...but also information..i might even offer modding-services etc...etc...

Unlike my power-tools store...HONESTLY i have NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING the slightest to do with DIY or powertools otherwise..so the new store will also be kind od my own passion :)

This is just my oipinion...i might be wrong...etc..etc..

GeorgR., Dec 24, 2006 IP
  12. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    i always say it is TOTALLY irrelevant from a customer's point of view if i "only" have a amazon affiliate store..or not.

ACTUALLY..i keep telling them its a GOOD thing...i can have a HUGE selection, relatively good prices and service. ANd..i do NOT have ONE penny markup.
    I tell people that...and admit...its a good thing for the customer !!!

(Rather...of course its bad for ME since the commisions are flimsy......but then i can also pull up a store with LITERALLY zero pennies in my pocket and offer...WHATEVER...make sales...and with a free domain name AND free hosting (which i had) literally ZERO cents spent :)

There is no way that a single person can even halfway be competeive with big players, amazon, newegg, buy.com...you name it.

Also..yes....put content on your page...if you offer a product.....put a page up with auctions/pictures/a for sale forum...etc...etc..this can all be done.

I do NOT expect to get rich with those stores...but then i think its worth it just to put some up..specialize...let them age...and here and then promote them...and watch what will happen. It would be a different story if i'd to invest $1000s of dollars in it...but thats not what i do.

GeorgR., Dec 24, 2006 IP
  13. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    drewbe121212, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  14. drewbe121212

drewbe121212 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you 100%!!

I am not trying to get rich with these stores either. You can get rich; yes. After opening about a couple hundred stores. It does eventually add up after a while. HOWEVER, unless you have the means/knowledge to do it, it really isn't recomended.

I am making about $50.00 give or take a quarter. Good enough for me as you said, it has taken nearly nothing to set it up. ALSO, I don't have to maintain it. I am not going to complain, that is for sure! MAybe in time i'll add it up to the point where I can figure averaging it out to 10.00 a day or something, but that is not in the plans for now. With something that size, i'd set up a dedicated server and open all my stores on it and let them go at it.

I am all about waiting on this one. Earn a little PR, and if you get really lucky repeat customers, and you will be on your way.

drewbe121212, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  15. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    BINGO. CORRECT ANSWER!

browntwn, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  16. bizhobby

bizhobby Peon

Best Answers:
    One big mistake I made was that I had a word in the title on EVERY page of my site... Of course that isn't the only reason but I'm sure google doesn't like 300,000 pages that have the phrase X in their title, especially if it is competetive.

bizhobby, Dec 30, 2006 IP
  17. GeorgR.

GeorgR. Peon

Best Answers:
    are you talking about the AoM setup/admin withing AoM ?

If so..how i can i avoid having the same title in every page ?

edit: i found it...i just removed the {sitename} tag for the categories, searches, subcategroies etc. within AoM. Simple.

GeorgR., Dec 30, 2006 IP
  18. fortgo

fortgo Peon

Best Answers:
    Great find Asen, thanks!

But will this not create yet an other problem -
    changing these pages while they are indexed?

I would do it if they will be re-indexed promptly,
    again...otherwise it could get worse before
    it ever gets better.
    Tough choice to be made I think.

Happy New Year and plenty of Amazon earnings to all!

fortgo, Dec 30, 2006 IP