1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASP vs PHP

Discussion in 'C#' started by 3kau, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wrong. PHP is NOT faster than ASP.NET. Because ASP.NET compiles just once at the first page load! PHP is being interpreted over and over again with every page load.
    PHP more powerful than ASP.NET? I really doubt that, and I think that even PHP fans don't agree with you. What makes PHP more powerful than ASP.NET?
    SEMrush

Yankee85, Apr 24, 2008 IP
    SEMrush
  2. JimBow

JimBow Peon

Best Answers:
    Speaking as a developer who does Classic ASP, ASP.Net and PHP I can tell you that I prefer PHP. That could be because I come from an open source background, but it goes beyond Microsoft bashing. The bottom line is that they're all capable technologies. If you're looking purely at web development and have some experience of JavaScript then go for PHP. ASP.Net will (typically) require you to learn VB or C#. Once you've mastered these you could also produce desktop applications. Classic ASP is fine if you already know it, but if you're picking something up from scratch look elswhere.

Just my 2 cents...

JimBow, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  3. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    The main thing I like at ASP.NET, beside it's powerful framework, is that if you make an offline (desktop) application you can very easy put it online (as a website) with just few modifications. The internal code remains the same. So how cool is it that if you know one or two programming languages (VB or C#) you can build desktop applications and web applications with the same power. And also leverage on Silverlight, Popfly, WPF and so on, to create really cool, nice looking and powerful apps.

Yankee85, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  4. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I used to like ASP a lot. However, after experimenting with ASP sites on several servers with different hosts...PHP has it all over ASP for stability. For whatever reasons, ASP servers crash quite frequently for my liking.

Cheap SEO Services, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  5. mahendras

mahendras Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with JimBow, When it's PHP its one laguage only, You don't need to worry about code behind like c# or Vb.net. You need to learn one PHP only. PHP is simple and straight with no major load on server. Also it doesn't require expensive visual studio. It can be coded well in any simple editor, though if you are using Dreamweaver that is fine but its not compulsory. Call any PHP Developer and he should be able to code in Notepad, and then call ASP.net programmer, He would be reluctant to work in text editor because he is habitual to work on very advanced environment of Visual studio.

mahendras, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  6. patrick24601

patrick24601 Peon

Best Answers:
    I made sure I read all of the opinions before I added in my 10 years of running my own development company.

Asking people about their programming language preference is inviting a zealous religious type debate. When you have been around for awhile hopefully what you learn is that in the end it does not really matter a hill of beans what programming language you use. They are just tools. And I promise you 100% anything that can be done in one language can be done in any other. It might take more steps, it might take fewer. But it can be done.

My personal observations:

- PHP is faster to learn and has a lower cost of entry from the coding side and the hosting side. Because of this it has been widely adopted by the open source community. But there is plenty of open source .NET code also. Open Source has nothing to do with the programming language of the application.

- ASP.NET has better development tools and has more drag and drop type development features. Building things like product list pages and details pages takes few clicks. Getting into the detail and customizing those takes alot of time and an enourmous amount of knowledge of understanding the framework, object properties, page lifecycle and control lifecycles. It is amazingly deep. And using AJAX in .NET is a no-brainer. MS did good here.

- A PHP/ASP application will always start faster than a .NET application out of the box. Every time you start a .NET application IIS has to start up the framework. As long as you have constant traffic you are OK. And I am sure this can be tweaked to keep the framework in memory.

- You can build an n-tier application with any of these languages. Right now I have both an ASP.NET and a PHP application with a UI, MT, and DB layer. It is just a matter of good design.

My advice: Don't get hung up on the tool you use. Get hung up on good coding and best practices. These are skills that you can use no matter what language you have to learn. You never know when you have to use a new coding language.

patrick24601, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  7. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    mahendras, Visual Studio Express is free. And much powerful than Zend Studio which is not free. And when you program something you must think first at extensibility. .NET has many "plugins" (like Silverlight) and you can code in any .NET language, even in PHP.NET ;) Also, is really important how fast can you do things in ASP.NET vs how "fast" you can do the same thing in PHP. Also, PHP does not have (I might be wrong) unit testing. OOP for PHP is just like the difference between C and C++. C++ just extends C with OOP, C++ is not a full OOP language. And so does PHP.

patrick24601 unfortunatelly, many people rely on the fact that if it's open source software, then it's better than it's paid alternative. That's not always true. And open you eyes people, there are plenty of free tools and software, even operating systems for free (totally of really huge amount of trial time) from Microsoft. You just must know where/how to search.

Microsoft is not like in '90's, now a great amount of their products are for free.

Yankee85, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  8. mahendras

mahendras Peon

Best Answers:
    Patrick has a valid point. Over a period of time it really doesn't matter what you choose as a platform, but what matters is the coding style and how well you have followed the basics.

yankee, thanks for letting me know on free things. I have found www.asp.net website as a good source to get open source projects on asp.net and lot of other tutorial.

We do both ASP.net and PHP but due to large availability of open source projects like oscommerce, drupal, phpbb and many more robust applications coming free, clients prefer to use PHP to lower down the cost.
    Comparing ASP.net, there are open source projects but the number is less. You can go and search for any application like "Discussion board" on hotscripts.com and compare how many you get on PHP and how many are in ASP.net. That too see how many of them are free. Somehow ASP.net programmers are conservative to make their creations open source while PHP programmers have major contributions to the community.

mahendras, Apr 25, 2008 IP
  9. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess everyone is right in the end...arguments and for and against for each language (I worked with ASP classic, then I switched to Coldfusion - and some people said you can do more in Coldfusion - especially when you use a framework like Fusebox, which is available for PHP too - with less code than in ASP.NET)...

Maybe we should judge what future every language will have...I don't see any future in ASP classic...ASP.NET is the replacement...

PHP will have a future thanks to the community...Coldfusion will have a future (especially in the corporate world) thanks to Adobe...

How about Ruby on Rails? Python? Perl? Others?

What language should you learn to make a living now and in the future? (who is too old maybe this doesn't matter much)...

mg1313, Apr 27, 2008 IP
  10. mahendras

mahendras Peon

Best Answers:
    Python and Perl are very less ( almost none) in demand while ROR ( Ruby on Rails) is picking up nicely. We do get some maintenance requirement in python but no new development requirement are generated for this language.

mahendras, Apr 28, 2008 IP
  11. rustyc

rustyc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I prefer dot net because the coding time can be leveraged into writing desktop apps as well as web apps.

rustyc, May 10, 2008 IP