1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASP Version Final Release

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by Zinho, Dec 4, 2004.

1. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    That is strange. You didn't make any modifications to the ad_network.asp code? One thing I did was put the response.writes in the ad_network include at the bottom of the code page below the end of the function. Still, from what you've listed, it should work. What happens if you do a for next loop on the ads array by writing them to the screen?

Here's something to try. Just for sh**s & grins, change the array values to 1 through 5 and see what that does.

mopacfan, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  2. Design1

Design1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, i tried the 1-5 and now the last one it displays shows as just a bullet.. lol

The only changes I made to the code was the root path of where the txt doc was located.

I will attempt a for next loop and see what happens..
    :)

Design1, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  3. vlead

vlead Peon

Best Answers:
    vlead, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  4. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I've fixed the bug in my last attachment. Use that ad_network.asp and everything works fine.

Zinho, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  5. flyered

flyered Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I have my site serving the ads with the asp code, and they show up fine, however I can't get validated as it says that it 'can't see the ads'. Any ideas why?

Thanks, and looking forward to mucho link juice xchange.

flyered, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What's the URL it says it can't find ads on?

digitalpoint, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  7. flyered

flyered Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn, I have pm'ed you the URL.

The site is multi language and redirects based on browser configuration to the appropriate sub dir. I have a sneaking suspicion that the root of the verification failure is that the main root index.asp page itself doesn't have content, it only redirects the users to the language sub pages.

Perhaps this is tripping up the verification process as the page could be seen as 'not having ads'.

Thanks

flyered, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry, I don't do support via PM, IM or email (see signature).

digitalpoint, Dec 8, 2004 IP
  9. mrjonman

mrjonman Peon

Best Answers:
    Zinho

Your last post said "I've fixed the bug in my last attachment. Use that ad_network.asp and everything works fine."

I didn't see an attachment on that post. Where can I get the "latest & greatest" ad_network.asp?

Thanks for your work. I just heard about this coop tonight and I was bummed when I first started looking at the requirements. I'm a (wanna-be) VB programmer and I'm modifying my site to be 100% asp. So glad to find that you made it possible for us asp folks to jump on this bandwagon!

John

mrjonman, Dec 11, 2004 IP
  10. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks friend,
    I've attached the file again
    Enjoy my humble work.

Zinho, Dec 11, 2004 IP
  11. mrjonman

mrjonman Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Zinho

Thanks for the code. I appreciate it very much. H-O-W-E-V-E-R ...... I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong (I'm definitely not "Joe ASP") but I can't get ads to show up nor can I get my site validated.

Validation attempt (by clicking Validate/Calculate Weight Now) produces the error "Ads not found on http://www.MannMadeSoftware.com/

I've tried everything that I can think of without success. I have 2 pages that are identical except for the url; one has the new code and everything below the ads code on the page disappears.

This is the page without the ad code. http://www.mannmadesoftware.com/adwords_software.asp

You can scroll to the bottom to see the footer of these 2 pages; the footer disappears on this page, the one with the non-working ads code http://www.mannmadesoftware.com/adword_assistant.asp

I swapped my new directory "/public/" for a directory "\log files\" that I know has write privileges. I was playing around with creating my own log files and I can write to the .txt file in that directory OK. MyFileName = Server.MapPath("\log files\MyLogFile.txt")

I've left ad_network.asp exactly as you've written it except for playing around with .txt file path.

My code on the individual .asp page is

<!-- #Include File="LogFile.asp" --> this is the working include for log file
    <!-- #include virtual = "/ad_network.asp" --> tried with and without the "/"

here's the last snippet on the page:

<p>Simply <a class ="blue" href="downloads.asp"><b>Click Here</b></a> to go to our Download page where you can get your free copy of the "Quick Start Guide".
    <p>&nbsp;
    <p>
    </td></tr>

<tr><td>
    <%
    ads = ad_network
    response.write ads(0) & "<br>"
    response.write ads(1) & "<br>"
    response.write ads(2) & "<br>"
    response.write ads(3) & "<br>"
    response.write ads(4) & "<br>"
    %>

<br>&nbsp;
    <br>&nbsp;
    </td></tr>

</table>

<% Call HTML_Bottom %> this function called from another include

<% End Sub %>

In summary, the code (above) "wipes out" anything below it on the .asp page and the file ad_network_ads.txt never gets written to although AFAIK it is in a write enabled directory.

I'd be happy to pm an attachment with the page's code to you.

I'm really bumming about this (did an "all nighter" trying to get it to work), even though I know we'll be able to solve it!

To quote Princess Leah "(Please) Help me ObeeWan Kenobe, you're my only hope"

Thanks man, very much!

mrjonman, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  12. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    My guess is that your server is not able to create the WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1 object. Try commenting out the "on error resume next" line and see what kind of error is generated and at which line the error occurs. You can't fix it if you don't know what's not working.

mopacfan, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  13. Zinho

Zinho Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey friend try to use the ad_network.asp I have attached.
    Anyway for faster solution please send me the page source code so that I can give you a better help.

Attached Files:

Zinho, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  14. mrjonman

mrjonman Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello mopacfan and Zinho!

Well I've finally been able to get my code working and my site is now able to display ads very nicely. I am so excited ;)

Thank-you both so much!!!!!

Zinho, I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to program this without your code. I can only imagine just how much time & effort went into your work and then you're kind enough to share it with others to boot! I guess you've made some deposits into the good karma bank, eh? Props to you!

And mopacfan, you were absolutely correct. How can you fix it if you don't know it's busted?!

I was able to find the problems in my code after I commented out the "on error resume next" statement as you suggested. Turns out they were no biggies - just couldn't see what they were when my code continued to run after throwing an error. As a VB6 programmer, I know that "on error resume next" must be treated with caution, but like I said before, I'm definitely not "Joe ASP".

Thanks to both of you for adding to my asp knowledge my friends.

Another question if you don't mind, he says amidst the chorus of groans emerging from everyone reading this post :eek: .

I have another include <!-- #include file = "mannmade_template.asp" --> that I use for a common footer for my asp pages. <% Sub HTML_Bottom() %>

I have put the <!-- #include virtual = "ad_network.asp" --> into my existing mannmade_template include and now have my ad code in HTML_Bottom like this:

<% Sub HTML_Bottom() %>

other code

<tr>
    <td bgcolor="#ffffff" align="center" height=25>
    <font size="-4">
    <%
    ads = ad_network
    response.write ads(0) & " | " & ads(1) & " | " & ads(2) & " | " & ads(3) & " | " & ads(4)
    %>
    </font>
    </td>
    </tr>

other code

</body>
    </html>

<% End Sub %>

This produces the ads on each and every asp page in my site (all asp pages already call HTML_Bottom) without adding any code whatsoever to individual pages. Am I still gaining the full advantage of the co-op by doing it this way or do I need to code pages individually?

Finally (yes I know I talk a lot; I'm old, remember?) :rolleyes:

I just recently updated the majority of my pages to asp because the html code from a template I had purchased, while attractive (IMNSHO), loaded much too slowly. I'm all about making sites load quickly and the template code was built with a lot of javascript "stuff" that I didn't need especially at the expense of load time.

Maybe it's because I'm anal or paranoid about the load time but it seems like my site might be loading slower now after adding the co-op code to it. Is this something that anyone else has noticed with their sites? I'd sure appreciate anyone who has a moment or two visiting my site and giving me feedback, private or public, about their impression about the site's load time.

Whew. I'm outta breath!

Thanks again for all of your help. Man, I'm liking this forum more & more! :)

mrjonman, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  15. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm glad we were able to help. I'm also glad to hear you're online with the coop now. :)

mopacfan, Dec 13, 2004 IP
  16. Design1

Design1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello again....
    I still can't get my code to display 5 ads. The most I can display is 4... I rewrote it to a for next loop and that didnt work either. I also installed the same code on a different site and it did the same thing, although the site is hosted on the same server. Does anyone have any idea why it would only display four ads at a time? I have the PHP version running perfectly showing all 5 in my forums but I am lost as to how to get the asp to show all five..

Thanks everyone, i really appreciate any help you can provide!

Design1, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  17. Design1

Design1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol... well ............
    right after i made this post i looked over at dreamweaver hiding behind the browser window and saw line 143
    "while i<=4 and "
    so i changed that to 5 and it works.... :p

thanks anyways hehe

Design1, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  18. mrjonman

mrjonman Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't that the way it always works ..... ;)

mrjonman, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  19. wwwbug

wwwbug Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much

wwwbug, Dec 25, 2004 IP
  20. TheBroker

TheBroker Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Thanks people for the asp version. I got it going today on my site. However I ran into some snags so I thought I'd share them incase someone else runs into them.

The basic code for pulling ads with the include worked fine on a stand alone test.asp file. However when I tried to integrate it into my footers of my forum which were also includes, for some reason it failed at line 10 of the ad_network.asp file.

I worked around this by inserting:

server.execute "pullads.asp"

Where pullads.asp is simply the code mentioned at the beginning of this topic. Hope it helps if someone gets stuck.

TheBroker, Dec 26, 2004 IP