1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASP.NET 2.0 will DESTROY PHP

Discussion in 'C#' started by tonyrocks, Apr 12, 2006.

1. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Regardless of how much he makes or spends, he has a ton of traffic and is running IIS6... that is all I was saying.
    SEMrush

TheHoff, Apr 13, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    .Net is pretty amazing. I was able to build in a few weeks what would have taken me months with ASP or PHP.

the only drawback is greater hosting costs

another awesome thing is Atlas, the new AJAX framework for .Net

frankcow, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  3. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    someone here post me sites they are running with this amazing asp .net stuff with stats... Perhaps you will change my mind

Shoemoney, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  4. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    imo drupal, mambo, etc. aren't killer... atleast not yet.

i have to say i'm really dissapointed by most of the CMS' i've tried... they seem to be needlessly complex and buggy

kkibak, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  5. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    go to www.asp.net, I'm sure they'll have some examples there

frankcow, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  6. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    You wanna see an AWESOME site unning .NET 2.0?!! BEEFJERKYDEPOT.COM!!! NUFF SAID! hehe...actually it is not a great example, but it is one.

The goodness in .NET 2.0 is what it come prepakaged with...plus with VS2005 you can hardly go wrong. There is sooooo much contextual pop-ups for classes, methods and such that it makes life easier to program.

I dig it for sure. I'm also a PHP-MYSQL programmer and love it too, but my new woman is .net for sure. she is a hottie.

tonyrocks, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  7. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know. I think that's a huge claim: "ASP.net 2.0 will DESTROY PHP"
    Although these new features and everything sound great, majority of sites on the internet (and that's MILLIONS we're talking about) are powered by PHP. I do not see that most of them will be changing over to ASP if PHP already does what they need it to do. :)

Most importantly too is that PHP is a free open source coding language that can be installed on Linux/Unix, which is what most servers are operated by. I don't think ASP is going to destroy PHP at all, but perhaps compete against it, and only that will lead to an upgrade of PHP.

Just my opinion, but I don't see ASP pawning PHP anytime in the near future. :)

EGS, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  8. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nah, i totally disagree with you EGS :) hehe

tonyrocks, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  9. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I see how it is. :p Well, you are entitled to your opinion. ;)

EGS, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  10. eklim8

eklim8 Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO Jeff: Wow, that's a great one. Thanks for the links!

eklim8, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  11. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    TheHoff, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  12. MrWize

MrWize Peon

Best Answers:
    And what kind of traffic are we talking about then?

cya,
    /PatrikB

MrWize, May 4, 2006 IP
  13. MrWize

MrWize Peon

Best Answers:
    The only thing that will get higher hosting costs is IF you choose to use MS SQL Server. You can combine ASP.NET v1.x/v2 toghether with MySQL. Easy!

Check out my "playground" at www . mrwize.nu (remove spaces) to check it out. It is a moded Personal Site Starter Kit working with ASP.NET v2 std controls (MembershipProvider and RoleProvider).

So, You can easilly build a low cost asp.net v2 app, using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and MySQL as your database engine.

cya,
    /PatrikB

MrWize, May 4, 2006 IP
  14. jfilley

jfilley Peon

Best Answers:
    Hosting cost are no different. If your talking small to medium size sites that your doing, you pay $10 a month for shared hosting of ASP.NET and full MSSql. I pay $35 a month for unlimited domains and I host over 15 small companies on that. Those kind of plans can handle 90% of the sites out there. If your a big company requiring tons of bandwidth etc, not a huge deal to spend a little on machines and proper development tools. That nothing compared to saleries for 20 IT people

When your talking comparing .NET to PHP its not really a comparison. PHP is a scripted language more compariable to classic asp. .NET's only comparable is JAVA which it has proven to outperform in every way from cost to speed of development to performance.

Im sure you guys have seen these before but here is a side by side comparison of some different langauages.

promoteware.com/Module/Article/ArticleView.aspx?id=10

happy coding!

jfilley, May 4, 2006 IP
  15. falcondriver

falcondriver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what did you smoke? microsoft press releases? :rolleyes:
    most of this stuff you can also do with any other language or tools since... EVER!
    php has much more functions (some nice string functions im missing in asp, regular expressions, mail function much easier to use) you dont have in asp or where you need to buy some extra components.
    have some years experience in php and asp, but i really prefer php.

falcondriver, May 5, 2006 IP
  16. skyraider

skyraider Peon

Best Answers:
    If you tried the old version of ASP, you haven't tried ASP.NET.

.NET uses all kinds of crazy stuff like SOAP, and the class libraries are freakin massive. PHP is a bunch of switch statements. .NET is a true OOP with incredible power.

In the future, everyone will be using .NET. From government agencies to companies, everyone's switching. .NET is just better - it's waayyyy more powerful than any 'nix languages.

skyraider, May 6, 2006 IP
  17. MrSupplier

MrSupplier Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd better be comparing .NET and Java, not PHP. Or ASP and JSP. Atleast it makes sence.

MrSupplier, May 8, 2006 IP
  18. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    I do feel that the .NET environment is more powerful, but it is meant for a different market.

It is pushed in the business sector. The main reason is conectivity to existing applications. There is something to be said about the single signon benefits you can get when you are a microsoft shop. There is also the availability for sopport for the platforms and the applications.

For content or even commerce sites at the level seen here, PHP would most likely be the best match. If your company is turning large revenues with a healthy IT staff, a microsoft shop seems to be a better choice.

If you have $27K per processor for MS SQL 2005, you have enough in the budget to buy the extra servers needed to run a large .NET application. Heck, most companies wont run more than one mission critical server per cluster anyway, so what's the loss?

ServerUnion, May 8, 2006 IP
  19. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've been playing with Atlas for a while now and I think it totaly is a awesome Ajax framework. There are a few things I wish you could do but hey it's free so what can I expect. I also love Telerik's Ajax offerings as well.

ServerUnion your post is very true. I've noticed a lot of big dogs run ASP.NET compared to smaller webmasters. Take dell.com for an example. Despite cross-platform issues it is a good development platform.

SEO Jeff, May 8, 2006 IP
  20. DanInManchester

DanInManchester Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of quality free open source products for both platforms each with their own merits and disadvantages. It's disapointing to see on yet another forum a sensible debate about the pros and cons of using one platform over another degrading in to tit for tat squabble.

Microsoft is often more accessible to the end user as they already have the infrastructure in place to deal with it. For example I can go into most companies and find a windows xp machine that will run MSDE, IIS, etc and not a linux machine in site nor anyone who would know what to do with one. But then MySQL and PHP or whatever language you choose could run on XP anyway but with a bit more messig around.

The cost of hosting on the various platforms is also becoming far more comparable particulary when looking at shared hosting that suites the majority of small business sites. even when requiring a dedicated box you can them at fairly comparable prices.

Having said that larger infrastutures requiring complex server systems can get costly when using microsoft particularly dedicated MS SQL Server systems beyond the free editions. But for an application of such magnitude I probably wouldn't be confident enough to trust it to the likes of mySQL (just my opinion).

So i think what I'm trying to say with the alignment of pricing and availability of tools to develop for your platform the platform itself isn't necessarily all that important (granted they have their pros and cons) because all the end user / customer is interested in is a working solution with an acceptable cost of ownership and maintainability.

So I try to be impartial but Microsoft really are pushing the boundaries or technology and releasing some killer free applications that could create interesting rifts in the market. No doubt you've seen Oracles recent answer to microsofts free SQL server.....It's interesting to see where this could go.

DanInManchester, May 10, 2006 IP