1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASP.NET 2.0 will DESTROY PHP

Discussion in 'C#' started by tonyrocks, Apr 12, 2006.

OK, recently I've been up to my armpits with .NET web development. Microsoft is providing free tools to start developing apps asap. I'm just totally blown away by the power of these programs and the fact that they are giving them away is amazing. First off:

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition - Great program that lets you drag drop, incorporate templates (master pages) and utilize pre-made "Starter Kits"

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
    - Powerful database that can handle tons of data.

OK, what I like about the package:

1) Your VS comes with a on-the-fly webserver so you no longer need to install PWS or IIS on your local machine.

2) You can create users/roles permission from the new app config web console. This is also distributed with your app. You know longer have to much around with user permissions from the windows server anymore

3) You can build with C# and VB within the same solution.

4) Comes with built in login/register controls so that you can create membership sites virtually in minutes.

5) Super duper improved data binding for creating dynamic site maps, bread crumbs, user controls, etc...

6) Skinning of user controlrs

7) Automatically create user profiles

8) You can copy the complete website (including the db) with the integrated COPY WEBSITE tool

9) Utilizes Master pages. Remember the days of using the #INCLUDE directives for headers, menus and footers? Forget those! you can do everything with the master page...change on the fly with no re-compile.

I've recently converted my beef jerky website (just the top level of it) to ASP.NET 2.0 with C# totally with master pages. take a peek:

http://www.beefjerkydepot.com

the site is not pretty, but gives you an idea of how clean you can build sites from the coding side.

If you have any questions about getting started, please feel pree to PM or email me.
    SEMrush
    Party on

-Tony

:)

tonyrocks, Apr 12, 2006 IP
    SEMrush
  2. empservices

empservices Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been working with .NET for just over 3 years now. recently moved to .NET 2.0. I agree that .NET is very powerfull, the problem is that the stability issues and bugs are numerous, but since bugs have never stopped uncle bill, I think it's going to be a similar battle of a free Linux vs paid Windows.

I think time (about 2-3) years will tell for sure.

empservices, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  3. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, but you have to admit...the tools in 2.0 are a HUGE upgrade from 1.0.

4. empservices

empservices Peon

Best Answers:
    oh sure ... big improvement, but the stability of the whole .NEt framework still leaves a whole lot to be desired. but as I said .. a few years ... and bill's your uncle.

empservices, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  5. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    hehe...I actually do have an Uncle named Bill!

6. kkibak

kkibak Peon

Best Answers:
    I really like ASP.NET 2.0 as well. LAtely I've been doing more php stuff, just because my host supports php and not asp, but i agree that 2.0 is a nice improvement.

kkibak, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  7. Selkirk

Selkirk Peon

Best Answers:
    .net is a good product, but the rumors of PHP's imminent demise are greatly exaggerated. :) Two words: cheap hosting.

Selkirk, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  8. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cheap hosting? heck I can run the server from my laptop with Dynamic DNS :) hehe...now that is cheap!

9. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Windows servers always work awesome when there is next to no traffic =)

Shoemoney, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  10. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure Shoemoney?

My whole entire network of sites including my Myspace site that gets crap loads of traffic is powered by Windows 2003 and .NET 2.0. Tonyrocks is my kind of guy who loves .NET over PHP. .NET is much more powerful then PHP. Who has ever seen a PHP CMS for around $12,000? Not me but there are some amazing $12,000 CMS's including SiteCore and even my future CMS hehe.

SEO Jeff, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  11. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Someday you gentlemen will learn. Until then keep spending cash on windows shitware

Shoemoney, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  12. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    What the heck does the price of a CMS have to do with anything?

TheHoff, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  13. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    heheheh... Try not to make sense of the idiocy at hand.

14. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you ever seen a cup of ethopian coffee worth $18,000? I have! If someone wanted to buy my coffee, that is what I would charge them. Delicious.

TheHoff, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  15. MrSupplier

MrSupplier Peon

Best Answers:
    .NET 2.0 and C# looks good, but just dont trust M$... We'll see if it 'll run well in Mono/Linux environment.

But actually I never recommend utilize .NET for regular small sites which is > 90% of the web.

MrSupplier, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  16. Carlito

Carlito Peon

Best Answers:
    Love .NET 2.0 - it's a huge improvement and am switching all my sites over, but I wish there was more control over the HTML that is generated. For example, it's easy to junk up your page with various JavaScript and inline CSS styles, etc. without even realizing it. On the other hand the functionality you can add without ever writing a line of code is amazing.

Carlito, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  17. tpn87

tpn87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I've seen killer PHP CMS systems for FREE... Drupal, Mambo etc. I agree with Shoemoney, windows servers are fine until you throw any kind of substantial traffic at it.

tpn87, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  18. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    That is a bit of a generalization as we've been shown recently with PlentyOfFish.com.

TheHoff, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  19. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you TheHoff for backing me up. Now I am not no anti-MYSQL, PHP person I just don't think they can deliver enterprise quality. PHP is very good as well as .NET for forum software like Vbulletin and small sites but when we are talking about software using OLAP or data mining MySQL does not have the stuff to do it. MySQL is a great Web only Database system I have to admit that. Heck even Microsoft.com runs IIS6 and I have never seen there home page down once.

Overall they are both unique in ways. Both have cons and pros.

Speaking of CMS's things I look for in a CMS that I don't think are in any free open source PHP cms's are:

Workflow
    Page Revision - I know people make big mistakes
    Database Replication - In case one DB server's offline you can still get to your content.

Here is that CMS I was refering to SiteCore. The UI is built with XAML btw.

http://www.sitecore.net/Benefits/Technological Foundation/Sitecore Technologies/Sheer UI.aspx

SEO Jeff, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  20. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    omg dont tell me you fell for the plentyoffish scam =(