1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ask me any question about web hosting and computer networks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by webtalk, Sep 22, 2014.

Hi guys.

I am a technologist, entrepreneur, and a blogger, my background is web hosting and computer
    networks. I have been playing with technology since 2004.

Time to share my skills and knowledge with you.

Ask me any question related to web hosting service, web servers, website etc. and I will
    answer you here.

wish me luck!

webtalk, Sep 22, 2014 IP
  2. theyd

theyd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi there.
    Thanks You for this huge opportunity. I won't miss it.
    Okay.
    My question is about hosting.
    Can you please tell me what is required to set up a web hosting service .

Once i get a reply, other questions will quickly follow.

Thanks and good luck :)

theyd, Sep 22, 2014 IP
  3. webtalk

webtalk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Theyd,

here is the answer:

There are two ways to setup your hosting service.
    Reseller hosting
    VPS or dedicated hosting

Web hosting is a full-time business with extremely handsome income. you can make a steady and stable income per month.
    I know some guys starting from $25 reseller package have grown up to few thousand dollar a month :)

Reseller hosting:

if you are a beginner, buy a reseller hosting package for yourself. in reseller hosting all the technology and setup is provided
    by a reseller service provider, you don;t need to purchase licenses, make setups and get involved in technology. All you need
    is to bring the customers, the technology will be served and managed by your provider. just pay for reseller account, have your own website, make packages and promote them to get the customers. for setting up the first website follow the below url: http://bestwebhostings.net/blog/how-to-make-your-first-website/
    Start with basic plan and when you have customers reaching the limits , upgrade to the next reseller plan.

Dedicated or VPS servers:

if you already have customers or big websites than buy a vps or a dedicated server for yourself.
    in this option you have to take care the technology, setup your own name servers, install a billing system like whmcs, integrate
    it with server for automatic client creation, create packages to sell, be ready to assist your customers whenever there is a technical problem. it is a hard job to fix servers. I do not recommend this solution to non technical or individual with low customers. however if you are a sys admin, understand linux and cpanel go for it.
    there are some companies with friendly technical support that will help you to create the reseller account for you with complete setup. if you chose managed solution they ll fix the server problems as well. All you need is to bring customers and setup the account. try http://bestwebhostings.net/reseller-hosting.html , best customer friendly folks with reliable solutions.

good luck!

webtalk, Sep 23, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. Droid82

Droid82 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is a very helpful thread.. I am planning to put up a website for my photography portfolio. Which hosting service would you recommend? Any particular company? And Should I hire a web designer first or should I purchase a domain+hosting first? Thank you in advance!

Droid82, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  5. webtalk

Best Answers:
    Hi Droid82,

photography websites took a lot of disk space, make sure to get plenty of disk and bandwidth while purchasing a hosting package something above 10 GB or unlimited web space. you need to purchase hosting and domain first before hiring a web designer. The cost of web designer is usually high as compared to premium themes, you can look for plenty of excellent ready-made themes at
    http://themeforest.net/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=photography
    you can also use wordpress themes absolutely free.

I usually recommend http://bestwebhostings.net to non techies as best hosting service because the tech. team is customer friendly and helpful to newbies.
    some other options are arvixe and stablehost.

good luck!

webtalk, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  6. Droid82

Droid82 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Awesome! This has been really helpful. Thanks a lot, webtalk! :cool:

How do I like your answer/post and how do I tag this as the "best answer"? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    Droid82, Sep 24, 2014 IP
  7. webtalk

Best Answers:
    Thank you Droid82 :) , I am glad its helpful to you, I am not sure how to mark it as best answer on dp. maybe some one can help.

webtalk, Sep 24, 2014 IP
  8. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    can a simple computer be set upto host site?

etc, Sep 24, 2014 IP
  9. theyd

theyd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi people.
    Thank you very much @webtalk for your answer. You really know what you're talking about.
    Please, can you tell me what kind of tools exatly (What kind of computer...) is used by providers, by beswebhosting for example? I'm personally using hostgator.
    I notice that there service never stop working. So, the computers are always on. How they're doing that?
    are the files of a website stocked on one or many servers...?
    Many thanks for sharing your huge experience.
    Stay blessed and good luck again :)

theyd, Sep 24, 2014 IP
  10. webtalk

Best Answers:
    Hi theyd,
    Thank you for your kind words. BWH has servers located in Germany, based in hetzner data center and phoenixnap DC in USA. One of the best Europe and USA DCs with beast machines and reliable network uptime. All standard Data centers have 99+% or 100% network uptime guarantee, it depends on the technical team how well they manage the servers. One of my friend is hosting a video game website at BWH dedicated server for more than a year, never heard any complain so far. however you can directly ask the details from BWH team.

Hostgator had been a really good option for resellers for many years, But after it has been sold to EIG group the performance is not upto the mark as it used to be, I heard many complaints about tech. team. EIG is a group that has tons of hosting companies under different names, you can search google for EIG hosts and wikipedia to know more about them.

Arvixe, BWH, Stabelhost, Webhostingbuzz, hawkhost are great hosts to trust & host your websites.

webtalk, Sep 24, 2014 IP
    tdn878 likes this.
  11. tdn878

tdn878 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information regarding Hostgator. I have been with them for over 5 years and not once did they inform me of the EIG takeover. I did a little research on them after I read your post and will definitely be changing my hosting away from hostgator when my contract with them expires next year.

I've noticed quite a lot of downtime on my websites for the last 2 years, but was never really sure what the reason was. Now I know. FU Hostgator, adios. :mad:

I'm looking at possibly moving to Arvixe, but still have a lot of time to decide. Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    tdn878, Oct 3, 2014 IP
  12. webtalk

Best Answers:
    you are most welcome tdn878 :)

webtalk, Oct 3, 2014 IP
  13. danwd

danwd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What is the demographics of the average customer of a web designer/hosting business? Age, income, etc.?

danwd, Oct 21, 2014 IP
  14. webtalk

Best Answers:
    not a directly related to hosting query. howerver here I go . most of the website owners hosts, designers are in USA , Europe and India. the age slot is 25 - 45 and income varies a lot.

webtalk, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  15. theyd

theyd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey Webtalk,

I hope you're fine.

I want to thank you (it's serious) again for sharing your knowledges with us.
    I'm so glad to see that you're back on this thread :)

Well,
    Right now, I'm just starting "a wordpress sites selling services". So, I've to host my customers sites...
    I'm hosting those site in my Cpanel. But I'm not sure this is the way to go.

According to you, should I purchase an other Hosting plan to host those site or is it an other way to go?

Thanks again and talk soon.

P.S: I'm using Hostgator

ZeroLimit

theyd, Aug 26, 2015 IP
  16. uniquesolutions

uniquesolutions Member

Best Answers:
    Sir,I have made a website name "homebasedearning.in" but the designer is not co operating me I like to edit the content of myself but I do not understand how to open the page and edit the content.Please help.

uniquesolutions, Mar 15, 2016 IP