1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASk Jeaves

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by bamb0lin, Feb 20, 2006.

Does ask jeaves send any visitors? Their bots are spidering my website a lot and if it is not worth it I will just block them :)

bamb0lin, Feb 20, 2006 IP
  2. peterstannard

peterstannard Peon

Best Answers:
    I get none from Ask lol.

peterstannard, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  3. PinoyIto

PinoyIto Notable Member

Best Answers:
    One of my old site getting huge traffic from ask.com I guess they update their search result longer that is why sometime.. we tot no traffic from them.

PinoyIto, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  4. free articles

free articles Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also want to know about ask, is any worth for listing?

free articles, Mar 6, 2006 IP
  5. samm27

samm27 Peon

Best Answers:
    I was at SES in NY and there was a big push to try Ask.com Sponsored Search. So we are trying it...

I get the distinct impression that the product manager responsible for this product never actually tried to use it in the way a real online advertiser would. (reminds me of when my wife was in dental school practicing on someone who came in for a free treatment. She had to extract a tooth and as she was getting set up her teacher came by and asked her - "have you ever SEEN someone pull out a tooth like that before?"...)

Some of their problems:

- Very slow on an average broadband connection
    - No sample data in their bulk upload file
    - Very poor treatment of cases where the minimum CPC was not met - there should be some way of bidding the minimum automatically.
    - Odd way of returning errors with listings - add them to your CSV in a haphazard way.
    - Did I mention it takes forever.

The only reason to get in now, as far as I can tell, is that they are giving a free $100 to try it if you have the SES coupon. And possibly, since it's a big pain maybe there are lots of advertisers who are not bothering to even get started - so maybe you can make money by being a brave soul who is the only advertiser!

YMMV.

Good luck!
    sam.

samm27, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  6. L146705

L146705 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I think ask are having a big advertising push in the uk. they have rebranded the search engine.
    Anyone know where I can find some tips on ranking higer in ask?

L146705, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  7. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I get around 500 hits a month from Ask and it accounts for 5% of our Search engine referals.

We do rank top and second in it for most of our keywords though.

Saying that though we also rank top in MSN for most of our keywords too and that accounts for around 700 hits a month, 10% of our search engine referals.

Then we rank 3rd in Google for our top two keywords and get around 5700 hits a month, 74% of out search engine referals.

I have only been working on this site for just over a month though so them results are going to chage from the amount of work I have done. As when I first started it did not rank in MSN for pages and pages same with ask and in Goole it was on the second page when I first started just over a month ago.

johneva, Mar 7, 2006 IP
  8. samm27

samm27 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, they got rid of the Jeeves character - apparently on the US side of the pond he was not a character with which most people readily identified.

I just got stuck again in their system - when I tried to add a bunch of new keywords it would not let me continue without depositing more money (I understand those $.25 peep shows work the same way..)

So I tried to deposit more money and this time it rejected my credit card - odd...

samm27, Mar 7, 2006 IP