1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Arvixe "Unlimited Hosting" Experience

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Focl, Oct 16, 2014.

1. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Reading through alot of the comments here and my first thoughts are at the 50 wordpress sites. Each one can consume ALOT of CPU, and Ram. Its not about the diskspace, its comes down to the CPU and ram usage.
    The reason why I hate companies that advertise unlimited, it that, clients dont understand that their are limits.

The other issue I have from this thread, is how did the hosting company let his CPU usage get so high in the first place? With 50 wordpress sites, odds are he was using too much resources for a while.
    I use cloud linux installed on my servers. This restricts the amount of CPU, and RAM that each account can use. This is what nearly all quality hosting providers are doing. This means that a user can login to their cpanel account, and see how much ram and cpu their account is using. In a case where an account is maxing out the allocated resources, the user can see for themselves directly their usage, and see that maybe they need to upgrade to a VPS, and or move some sites elsewhere, and while they are maxing out their own personal allocated resources, all the other clients on the same server are NOT impacted.

I will always consider ALL unlimited hosts to be a scam.

@op, my final thoughts is down to your backup plan. I think you got lucky with arvixie, at least you got all your files and everything. But I am concerned you might not really learn from your mistakes here.

It really sounds like you have all of your eggs in one basket (and by this I mean, 1 web account) I have seen someone else who had everything in one account, and in one night, lost everything, lost his sites, income, and everything. What you need to consider is having a reseller account on a cloud linux powered server and having regular backups for your account. Right now, if all your accounts are on one cpanel account, then your an idiot. Thats over 10gb, how you gonna effectively back that up, move that, or restore from that? Having a reseller account would mean you could group 10+ sites that dont get changed much into 1 account, and the more active ones that are updated, commented on regularly, and need more regular backups into groups of 1-2 per account. If you are using cloudlinux, the cpu and ram limits apply to each cpanel account. Using this method, you can actually identify which of your sites are using too much resources, and you can work out if its worth to keep hosting these sites.

Dude, whatever you do, and wherever you go, keep regular backups, and dont host all your eggs in the one basket.

matt_62, Nov 2, 2014 IP
  2. kpmedia

kpmedia Member

Best Answers:
    Why do people always jump to this conclusion.
    If somebody doesn't agree with you --- then they work for the party being complained about? Really?
    You diminish your own arguments by doing this. Now nobody will take it seriously.

kpmedia, Nov 4, 2014 IP
  3. HostDash

HostDash Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Any reputable company is going to have CPU, Ram limits etc (even those with 'limited' packages'). In most cases these limits are not advertised when signing up (except in the relevant legal docs) so no difference here.

Just because a client has 50 sites does not mean they have been maxing the resource limits for a while. We use CloudLinux and most of its systems also and yes, these limits are accessible in each cPanel.

Why? We offer the same as you and just we have fewer limits (though you also have them in place). Half a million websites that we host doesn't experience any issues - it is mostly the sites that are no longer fit for the shared environment (requiring VPS+).

HostDash, Nov 6, 2014 IP
  4. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    While I respect the fact that you have half a million happy websites, I will always call unlimited a scam. I might feel differently if I can see an unlimited hard drive at out local shops.... but if you labelled your packages as "unmetered" hdd, and bandwidth, while it might sound similar, it completely changes the meaning.

matt_62, Nov 6, 2014 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  5. David4343

David4343 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry to inform you that unlimited means without limit. So when I see my website down for days, because of bandwidth limit exceed or for disk space limit exceed, means it has limit. I feel in the first years of school!
    I have also a very bad experience with arvixe today, I'm using since 5 month now,
    All fine until yesterday, because my site has not exceed 2000 visit a day. Today I started a traffic campaign, while my site is receiving about 300 visit in one hour, the site was shut down, right now is down since 8 hour and I don't know I much it will stay so, maybe days and days. I was contact custmer support, waiting time 22 minutes like always, and guess what? they say since the first 30 minutes down that is server issue, and it's not only my website down, I say ok let's wait, I realize by my self that is about bandwidth limit.
    Those who says we should know cheap hosting (shared hosting) has limitation, I would say thanks to my dick! Now I know, I undestand something after 5 month and this bad experience. But people that just start and came across arvixe.com they will be attract of the bull shit "unlimit". And It's not even cheap the price at all, with the same limitation, and I say even surely more now, on one.com you have 14 euro 1 years hosting and domain, (I thing now is first three month complitely free) for the next years it's about 36 euro every years.
    I will transfer to another hosting provider as soon as possible with the hope and pray that I don't loose all my post.
    Complitely avoid arvixe in my experience and prevent frustrations.

David4343, Jun 16, 2016 IP
    matt_62 and sundaybrew like this.
  6. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    AGREED ^^^

I actually WRITE WEB REVIEWS and this IS something that I am CALLING FRAUD within the ENTIRE INDUSTRY

I PERSONALLY THINK THE FCC, FBI SHOULD LOOK into the "unlimited" wording that hosts are using

ITS SPAMMY - NOT CLASSY AND YOU WEB HOSTS ALL OF YOU !!! NEED TO FIX THIS CRAP!

PS= DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS !!! BE DIFFERENT

OKAY - no more caps - WEB HOSTING is going to change you will see!

THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED.
    Arvixe, LLC
    Find a Location
    Phone: (888) 927-84932500 Ridgepoint Dr, Austin, TX 78754http://support.arvixe.comView Additional Web Addresses

[​IMG]
    On a scale of A+ to FReason for RatingBBB Ratings System Overview

SharePrint

BBB Business Reviews may not be reproduced for sales or promotional purposes.

BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.

Get the details about the factors considered.

Factors that lowered the rating for Arvixe, LLC include:

• 143 complaint(s) filed against business
    • 7 complaint(s) filed against business that were not resolved
    Factors that raised the rating for Arvixe, LLC include:

• Length of time business has been operating
    • Response to 143 complaint(s) filed against business

Customer Complaints SummaryRead complaint details
    143 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 143 closed in last 12 months

Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
    Advertising/Sales Issues 2
    Billing/Collection Issues 23
    Delivery Issues 5
    Guarantee/Warranty Issues 1
    Problems with Product/Service 112
    Total Closed Complaints 143

sundaybrew, Jun 17, 2016 IP