1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Arvixe "Unlimited Hosting" Experience

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Focl, Oct 16, 2014.

Hello Folks,

I want to share my experience with Arvixe Unlimted hosting (http://www.arvixe.com/).
    I start using their service 2 years ago, I wasnt very happy during time with stability of my websites. 1 time per 2 - 3 months i must contact support why are my sites down, often I received CTRL+C - CTRL+V answers. Looks like nobody want to waste time with me with customer..

2 years ago when i deciding which hosting i will pick i contacted arvixe online chat support with few questions about their "unlimited hosting" I ask what are limits, because there is nothing like "unlimited hosting" in world, specialy if you pay around 12 USD / month. Staff told me there is no limits and i can put many sites I want.. I am small fish with weak low traffic sites, so i was ok and i start using Arvixe hosting for 2 years

But worst come few days ago... I received this message from Arvixe:

"We have noticed excessive server resource usage on one of your accounts hosted with us. Since the resource abuse had an adverse affect on server condition, we took some actions to bring the server to stable conditions. The activity and the action taken as a result are listed near the bottom of this email. Due to high CPU usage, we were forced to disable the following script via. As we cannot allow such high usage in our shared server, kindly take necessary measures and do let us know the steps that have taken."

They just shut down all my sites without any warning before!

I used to much sources on Unlimted hosting? Ok here are my numbers:

What I had on Arvixe:
    • Around 50 small Wordpress sites on hosting.
    • All sites have weak traffic (around 10-20 IP vistiros / day)
    • All Emails takes around 200 Mb of space (total 2 active emails)
    • All sites takes around 6 GB in total on hositng.
    • Small Databases, max to 5GB

And they wrote me i used too much resources?
    What is this for Unlimited hosting if I cant place there small WP sites with total of 6 GB space?

Worst was they dosnt warn me! They just shutdown everything to 2 years old customer. Last few days I spent hours of work with migrating to other hosting.

Summary:
    Never use Arvixe hosting, this company can shutdown your account without warning. Stability of sites is also very poor. And 6Gb of space on "Unlimited Arvixe hosting" is too much!

Hope this will help other webmasters to decide and prevent future problems

Focl, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  2. Auxi

Auxi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was doing about 4 times web there... it crashed 3 times without backup :p Long nights.... :)

Auxi, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  3. Quality Assurance Staff

Quality Assurance Staff Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I'm sorry that you had issues, but there is a difference between 'unlimited' and 'infinite' . If you are on a Shared Server and your CPU usage begins to effect other users, then actions must be taken. Any web hosting provider would do the same. 'What is Unlimited?' is explained here in our Knowledge Base:

https://support.arvixe.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/192/4/resource-usage-explained

Our Server Team was more than happy to assist you, and explained why actions had to be taken. Your CPU usage was effecting the server as a whole, and when that happens actions have to be taken. The reply to you was very thorough with what parts of the site(s) were causing issues. If you would like to speak regarding this, please call us. My name is Chris and my extension is 848 . Thank you.

Quality Assurance Staff, Oct 16, 2014 IP
    micksss likes this.
  4. freesecrets

freesecrets Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't mean to act as hosting supporter here but here are my few cents based on experience:
    • ANY shared hosting would do the same to you, I had this happen to me on hostgator and at least one other host I used to use before
    • You had 50 WordPress sites. No matter the size of traffic a single plugin on one of those blogs can make your hosting account using up way too many resources, imagine if this happens on more the one. And believe me - I have seen that too
    I don't know about stability and can't comment on that but I would be quite upset myself if my sites were down even once a month on regular bases, however before jumping hosts - evaluate your options, it is a lot of work. It might be best option to work with your current host to resolve issues.

freesecrets, Oct 16, 2014 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  5. HassanKhalid

HassanKhalid Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am sorry about Arvixe we are ready to host you free of cost contact us if you have backup of your websites if dont we can ask arvixe behalf of you cheers.

HassanKhalid, Oct 16, 2014 IP
  6. Quality Assurance Staff

Quality Assurance Staff Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Again,

Like I stated prior, I'd like to reiterate again now. If at any time you want an explanation or you want to discuss the matter, feel free to contact the Quality Assurance Department here at Arvixe. My personal extension is 848, or you may call the Quality Assurance extension at ext 903. Thank you.

Quality Assurance Staff, Oct 16, 2014 IP
    micksss likes this.
  7. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you been living in a vacuum for the last few years?

You obviously know that with "unlimited" there is going to be some limitations or "gotchas". You even admit that yourself when you said, "there is nothing like 'unlimited hosting' in world". You also said, "Staff told me there is no limits and i can put many sites I want", and you've got 50 web sites operating for $12 per month or 24 cents per month per site.

As far as I can see Arvixe have held up their side of the bargain. The simple fact is you asked the wrong questions about "unlimited". You were aware that with unlimited comes some sort of control, but you didn't have the sense to explore what sort of limits might apply and ask them about that. A cursory glance around the internet will quickly point out that even with "unlimted" sites or diskspace there will always be limitations on the amount of CPU, RAM, and disk I/O you can use, but all you seemed to be interested in was how many sites you could cram onto a shared hosting plan for what is a tiny amount of money...and you wanted support too?

I think you have a cheek to complain about Arvixe. You have no legitimate complaint, and if you have a problem it's entirely of your own making. I think you should apologise to them for your own stupidity and for your unjustified complaint about them. It was completely unecessary and just makes you look like a fool.

They have been completely professional in their above response, and they have gone above and beyond in their attempt to help you - most hosts would just shut you down telling you you were using too many resources and leave it up to you to sort it out. You don't deserve a host that does that if your first reaction is to behave like a petulent 2 year old and not recognise or admit your own liability for what has happened.

And before I get accused of anything....no, I am not associated with Arvixe in any way, and I no no-one that works for them.

RonBrown, Oct 16, 2014 IP
    micksss and freesecrets like this.
  8. Focl

Focl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ron, like I said i know there is nothing like unlimited hosting, then why these companies call this product "unlimited"? And as I said i contacted Arvixe online support when I creating account with questions If i can place there around 50 small WP sites, they told me yes there is no limit. After 2 years they shutdown all my sites without any warning.

I think this i very unprofessional and insensitive maners.

Focl, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  9. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    But isn't that what you did? You added your 50 web sites, and I'm sure you could have added more, as there was no limit placed on how many web sites you could create. You say you also used 6GB of disk space and had 5GB of databases, and that is a fairly large amount of diskspace to consume of a single shared hosting account.

Your problem wasn't that you over-used the stuff that was "unlimited", but you did over-use items that were restricted such as CPU or RAM. This isn't some sort of scam. EVERY host whose terms I have read - and I've read a LOT of them - has restrictions on CPU usage and RAM usage for shared hosting accounts. These restrictions aren't some devious or underhanded plot by "unlimited" hosts, it's something done by ALL hosts.

Since you were suspicious of "unlimited" you only have yourself to blame if you didn't ask the right questions about CPU or RAM usage. You asked about number of web sites and they were true to their word, and they don't seem to have limited the amount of diskspace you've used. The only thing they have stopped you doing is using excessive CPU and RAM to the detriment of other users on these shared hosting servers. These restrictions are even mentioned in their Terms of Service - http://www.arvixe.com/tos.php

They've done what they said they would, and it isn't their fault if you've misunderstood something or failed to read their terms fully before you assumed you had free reign to use as many CPU and RAM resources as you wanted without penalty.

Are you kidding me? If anyone is being unprofessional it is you. You state in your first post "6Gb of space on "Unlimited Arvixe hosting" is too much!" but that is NOT the reason they had to stop you. You just lied to damage their reputation with malice. That is unprofessional and insensitive.

The fact is, YOU made the mistake. You didn't read their terms of service, you asked the wrong questions about what the unlimited aspects of their hosting, and you set-up sites that consumed excessive resources that you weren't allowed to us, then you blame someone else for your actions. Grow up.

They have behaved as they said they would, they gave you the resources they said they would, and they have been professional and helpful in the answers they have provided on this thread. You're the one who is being dramatic and you are the one who is being malicious, unprofessional, and insensitive, when it is all your own fault.

RonBrown, Oct 17, 2014 IP
    micksss likes this.
  10. Focl

Focl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol now you look like you are from Arvixe stuff or you have ZERO experience with other unlimited hostings comapnies..
    Like I said I ask them if I can place there 50 sites there told me yes. And after 2 years they shutdown my account Without ANY previous warning

Btw I am using other webhosting like Hostgator or IXwebhosting, and on these "unlimited hostings" i have much more sites (around 80) and there is clear see what limits these plans have.
    Arvixe dosnt show info about limits. They just turnoff your sites

There is other things we can disccus and that is stability of ARVIXE, I must many time restore my sites because their databases broke. I think it happends 3 time for 2 years.
    I surely think you will give me answer that is my fault that my sites was harm by drops, it was customer fault that their databases droped and I must create my sites again.
    Their hosting droped 1 time per 2-3 months..

Yes That is surely customer (my) fault...

Focl, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  11. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    You just don't get it, and if you think that it seems like I have an association with Arvixe then your delusions or paranoia are getting the better of you. As for my hosting experience, I don't think someone with your obvious lack of self-awareness or ability to take responsibility is in any position to question my knowledge of the hosting business. Given your behaviour I strongly suspect that I've been working in senior technical and strategic roles in the hosting business for more years than you've had birthdays.

Yet you stayed with them for 2 years, and would still be a customer if they hadn't closed you down due to excessive CPU and RAM usage. If their service is as bad as you now claim, then what does that say about you? Quite a lot, I'd say, and none of it flattering.

Now you're getting it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  12. Focl

Focl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol, you must be great customer Ron for weak hosting companies :D

Focl, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  13. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    You're trying - :rolleyes: - but it's not cutting, insightful or truthful enough. There has to be some truth in what you say if you want to make a personal attack that will stick, be interesting, or be worth reading. I'm afraid your attempt hasn't acheived even these simple standards. I don't see anything that you have to LOL about, but maybe I don't share that sense of humour.

I've not been a customer of any hosting company for over a decade - but you weren't to know that - and I'm certainly not an apologist for poor service or underhand selling by any hosting company. However, I'm also able to recognize male cow manure (I'm sure you can transalate that!) when I see it, and you've been called, caught out in a lie, and you've done yourself no favours. If you had some decency you would withdraw your initial statement and apologise to Arvixe for what you attempted to do, but I've found that those who feel entitled to vent their spleen without the self-awareness to temper their comments, to restrict it to just the facts, or worse still who post threads in defiance of the facts, are those who are more likely to dig a deeper and deeper hole for themselves.

Don't forget, you are the one who invited comments by starting this thread. You might not have received the sympathy you wanted, but I'd be tempted to say you got what you deserved. If you don't like it, think about what you're doing BEFORE you say it.

I can do this all day if you want.

micksss likes this.
  14. Keteki

Keteki Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it was a shared hosting. Most of the hosting provider put shared hosting as with unlimited storage and bandwidth to attract more customers. But they have much much limitations and if traffic grows, they will ask you to upgrade to VPS or Dedicated one. So be careful!! If you are planning to create a number of sites, you should always choose a VPS or Dedicated.

Keteki, Oct 17, 2014 IP
  15. Cloudcandy Host

Cloudcandy Host Member

Best Answers:
    Completely agree with what Ron said. To summarize the whole situation here - Don't expect too much for pennys . The host is with in his limits to do whatever he did, Even though am not a fan of unlimited hosts, the support representative clearly stated you can host as many as websites you want but never did she mentioned you can use as much as Resource you want.

Cloudcandy Host, Oct 18, 2014 IP
  16. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Focl,

All I can say that you just got trapped into "UNLIMITED" hosting. Hosting providers use this term for their convenience and the unlimited truth is revealed in the TOS which is skipped by almost every unlimited web hosting customer. Next time thoroughly check the TOS before you sign-up with some hosting provider. ;)

MilesWeb, Oct 20, 2014 IP
  17. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    No they shouldn't. That is bad advice. It's not the hosts responsibility to debug software and applications that their users use/upload to their site UNLESS that user is paying for full management - and I doubt that is the case with shared hosting. It's the hosts responsibility to keep their services online and performing well, and if one greedy user decides to hog resources that have limitations to the detriment of others, then the host MUST shut them down or restrict their use to protect other users on the server.

I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if another user on a shared hosting server you had web sites on was causing performance issues for you and your host did nothing about it. The OP shouldn't feel entitled to moan and blame someone else for his own failings, and you certainly shouldn't be encouraging him by suggesting the host is a bad host. The fact is, he's a bad customer.

Why? You're just assuming that your own desires are somehow a legitimate standard that others must live up to or else "should not be in busness". Talk about arrogance! What gives you the right to decide what entitles a company to be in business or not? If you will only deal with a host that has live chat then that is your prerogative, but its not a standard that any hosting company must adhere to just because you desire it. What a ridiculous statement.

RonBrown, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  18. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    If you are looking at a web hosting plan that offers unlimited disk space and bandwidth then make sure you understand the TOS. Expectations of what unlimited entails may be different to you than what is actually laid out in the TOS.

JPC-Sabrina, Oct 22, 2014 IP
  19. RonBrown

Best Answers:
    Yes, that is true. As always it's the minority that spoil it for the majority, but by that definition it shouldn't be assumed every host or client is bad just because some are.

The issue here is that the OP posted a thread complaining about a hosting company but, as several of us have replied, we can't see what the host did wrong. If you read the host company replies they have been helpful, polite, and professional while the OP refused to accept that the problem had anything to do with them and then lied and exaggerated the issue in an attempt to smear the host. That is childish, vindictive, and unacceptable.

This issue has nothing to do with the support methods the host provided, and there is absolutely no evidence of "emails being tossed back and forth". The OP says that his host emailed him about an issue with one of his scripts and told him they had disabled it to protect the server. That's it, a single email, so you're assuming - nay, adding - "facts" that are not in evidence and which are not germaine to the thread. The OP was simply churlish because his sites stopped working when the host took reasonable action (action it describes in its Terms and Conditions) to protect the server and other users. You've then twisted this to criticise the host not providing a support method you prefer when the existence (or not) of that support method has nothing to do with the OPs post, and then went on to suggest that the host doesn't deserve to be in business just because they don't meet your own self-imposed wish-list. That's kinda harsh on the host who has done nothing wrong in these circumstances.

RonBrown, Oct 23, 2014 IP
  20. Noah Strehl

Noah Strehl Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to make sure it was known that Arvixe does have Live chat and Phone support (as with e-mail). Both these ways to contact support are on the main page of Arvixe.com and in a customer's billing account. This information is also included on every e-mail we send. You can even reach our QA department through phone support by calling 1-888-927-8849 and using extension 3 (also mentioned in the phone prompt).

Regards.

Noah Strehl, Oct 23, 2014 IP