1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Articles $.35 - 1.00 / word DOES THIS INCLUDE PLANE FARE??????

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by sundaybrew, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I just saw something that made me fall off my chair

I saw these rates for articles,

Articles / Web Content / Newsletter Features ($.35 - 1.00 / word)

Now, at that price If I ordered 20 ( 500 word articles ) at $1.00 word

That would cost me $10,000

Do you think the writer would travel to the location for that price?

I mean if I wanted articles about Greece, and I spent 10k on them...

Don't you think that the writer should be traveling to Greece , to get me hands on , content?

Whats your thoughts....

Maybe this was a joke $1.00 per one word?

Or do Professionals make that much...

Also do most writers who charge this much , travel to get the info?

sundaybrew, May 1, 2007 IP
    BlindCat and commandos like this.
  2. Your Content

Your Content Banned

Best Answers:
    Is that "offer" posted here at DP?

I know professional writers do not charge cents but 10K is too much unless you bring to life Ernest Hemingway

He would probably need travel, lifestyle matter, you know :rolleyes:

Your Content, May 1, 2007 IP
  3. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wow that is a high rate!

I would assume plane fare would be included in that price! Even for a 500 word article that is $500! Out of this world...

If anyone on DP actually had that rate on here, I don't think they would get much business.

Why spend $1/word when you can get the same if not better for 0.01 per word :D

FanAddict, May 1, 2007 IP
  4. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Because you can't get the same or better for .01/word. Open up any magazine and there you'll find content that you can't get for .01/word. Do you think CNN paid $10 for this article? You're crazy if you do.

The amount you pay for writing is all about the benefit you will receive from it. If content is reponsible for bringing in a large percentage of your revenue, then it should account for a large percentage of your cost. It's all relative.

But of course, if you're only making $100/month from a website, it would be hard for you to justify spending more than $10-$20 on content. If more webmasters realized how they could build their websites by investing in content written by professionals, they'd see a drastic change in the results.

latoya, May 1, 2007 IP
  5. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm.....

I have a plumbing website and I was a plumber for 14 years ..

Does this mean I could charge $500.oo per article because I have the 14 years job experience?

sundaybrew, May 1, 2007 IP
  6. Ward Larson

Ward Larson Peon

Best Answers:
    absolutely. but nobody would hire you.

Ward Larson, May 1, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  7. omshanti

omshanti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess, you people don't know that there are $1 per word specific markets and there is an ebook as well. If you search in google for "dollar one markets and ebook", I guess you might land up at www.worldwidefreelance.com/onedollar.htm

This is no joke, you people think that it doesnt happen but its true.

and travel is not included in there, as its not always that it is for travel writing. hehe

I had say, there are $3.00 per word markets as well!!! So, buddies, enjoy and work hard to live a life you always dreamt of ..

dreaming..:rolleyes: :p ;) :)

If you like my post, let me know.

omshanti, May 1, 2007 IP
  8. exponent

exponent Peon

Best Answers:
    If Gary Halbert were still here, I'd pay him a dollar per word.

exponent, May 1, 2007 IP
  9. stilloutthere

stilloutthere Peon

Best Answers:
    It just proves that jhmattern is right, and there are better markets out there.

stilloutthere, May 1, 2007 IP
  10. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    Jhmattern IS correct. There are better markets out there, and $1/word is not at all unheard of. In the webmaster market, I doubt there are many people who can afford to pay a professional that rate. However, it DOES happen and it IS realistic to assume a professional can command those rates.

DeniseJ, May 2, 2007 IP
    lpstong and sundaybrew like this.
  11. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    It's not an "offer" posted here on DP. Those are my standard rates, and yes clients pay them, and that's why I don't advertise my custom articles on places like DP. ;) Most of that work is for private companies doing things like reports and internal pieces. And contrary to popular belief those rates aren't only available in print mags and copywriting (although it's much easier to find them in those markets). Many print mags also run online publications, and pay just as much for the work, among other sites. They're also smart enough not to publicly advertise when they want writers, b/c they'd be bombarded with underqualified applications - that's why I tell writers constantly "if you want the good gigs, you have to network and learn how to market yourself."

I've posted markets up to and possibly exceeding even $2 / word on my various sites, so there's no secret in it. If you've listened to anything I've said on this forum regarding rates in the past, this wouldn't be news to you. ;) Of course if the only writing you know how to do is SEO'd to death $5 pieces, you'll never land those kinds of gigs. I don't touch SEO writing for webmasters and turn down offers for those kinds of gigs pretty much daily (another benefit of networking... those requests turn into referrals for writers I know and trust, and they get the gigs quite often). I only write about 10 hours / week, b/c most of my income is through my marketing and PR consulting, but I'd have no problem whatsoever filling a full-time schedule if I didn't love PR so much. :)

As a matter of fact, and oddly enough, I'm in the middle of a long post for www.sixfigurewriters.com at the very moment about getting high paying gigs b/c I'm so sick of people asking over and over here.

jhmattern, May 2, 2007 IP
  12. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:

I pay my writers 0.01 or less, and I think the quality is great - besides that I would never ever pay for $1/word that is just crazy IMO.

On a side note, who's the coward who left me red but didn't sign? :)

Can't state your own personal views on DP - you get a red if you do? Idiots.

FanAddict, May 2, 2007 IP
  13. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I am sorry -

There is no text in the world worth a $1.00 a word unless its something that will save a life, like a medical journal....

sundaybrew, May 2, 2007 IP
  14. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Thinking it's great doesn't mean it's great. It just means it fits your particular needs. ;) But that's the point... no one expects an average webmaster to pay those rates, and if they do, they need to deal with reality of marketing and targeting. No expects to get paid those rates for SEO writing, which is most of what you'll see posted on places like DP.

There's nothing crazy about it if you know what to do with it. ;) Most webmasters don't have the time, skills, or budget to create the kind of time-tested authority site that commands top-notch content from professionals and industry experts in order to keep their repeat readers and lucrative private ad deals. There's not "one" webmaster world out there... there are several. Writers just have to be smart enough to know who to target based on their desired income level or general rates, and know how to reach those markets.

For your particular site(s) that may be true. But it's not true of the industry of Web publishing (or publishing in general) at all, for the reasons I already explained above. You're just a member of one particular sub-group. While sometimes the most vocal as far as looking for writers, that group simply doesn't represent everyone, just like my rates don't represent every Web writer. ;)

15. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    So is the fact that I was a plumber for 14 years make my articles worth that much?

16. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's the law of economics, if someone is willing to pay then their is a market. I am sure that no one could get that money here but maybe there is a market somewhere. I say go for it if you can get it.

Trying that here would be like selling a Lobster Dinner to a homeless man. :eek:

allout, May 2, 2007 IP
  17. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    You'd be surprised how much some people can make here. $.10 / word and more isn't unheard of. Even if not $1 / word, it's a good bit more than what you'll see posted publicly. But those gigs are usually offered privately, based on the merits of the writers' other posts, and not to people offering cheap rates outright. You have to build a certain kind of credibility, demonstrate that you know what you're doing, create a demand for yourself, and work comes to you. :)

18. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I believe you but I am the "homeless man" of DP. LOL
    Will work for food! LOL

allout, May 2, 2007 IP
  19. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

You failed to answer my question three times:

Here it is again:

Does the fact that I have 14 years hands on plumbing experience make my articles worth $1.oo per word?

20. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I didn't see your question... I was only responding before to the original post and a comment or two that jumped out. If the question were directed at me, I would have answered it. ;)

The experience says you can charge significantly more. Whether you can sell it for $1 / word or not depends on the publishers you're targeting. If you're targeting trade magazines, it's definitely a possibility, especially since you have experience both in the industry and in writing. If you target some random Joe Schmo's website about plumbing that no one's ever heard of, obviously, they won't pay that much, b/c they can't afford the expertise. Whether you'd choose to write for less is up to you. Other markets for that kind of writing would be copywriting for plumbing companies, suppliers of materials, manufacturers of consumer plumbing-related products, etc. The markets are out there. You just have to look for them, and network in order to get them... and be prepared to pitch yourself whether the company is actively looking for a writer or not.

EDIT: There... PM'd you a specific market you may want to try. I'd send you more, but I don't specialize in that area. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.