1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article] seo is dead

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by BusinessCoach, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEO is not dead, social media and SEO can and will coexist. Social media has very little value to search engines without becoming alarmingly intrusive in the lives of people. Eventually today's social media sites will suffer the same cataclysmic failures of revenue generation other promising web industries have.

a company that trys to live on a $0.35-$0.85 CPM will never make it. MySpace got lucky, facebook has hit their peak and a new wonderboy will come out of the shadows to take over.

Why is that? Simple: Barrier to Entry. There are lots of search engines, but only one that dominates... Google. They do this through their intellectual property holdings and clever subtle marketing strategies. yahoo, microsoft and tons of other companies would kill to know the exact science behind Google's dominating and ever evolving search algorithm.

Social media is far different. The moment Facebook patented the 'news feed' they told they world they were hitting their climax. Why is that? Because as we've seen on the internet it's fairly simple to build a platform that attracts millions of users. Myspace, friendster, ebaumsworld, youtube, yahoo chat, facebook, twitter and chat roulette were all started and then easily copied. The only barrier to entry in social media is branding, and brands in social media seem to live for 3-6 years at which point they begin to slowly die or sometimes quickly die (R.I.P. Stage6)

Facebook did not invent the news feed, the status update, photo tagging, social networking, or API developers. However they are currently executing very effectively. Eventually someone will create a new idea that they execute on that takes facebook by surprise.

dragons5, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  2. TheGoogleGurus

TheGoogleGurus Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, I have already proven you wrong countless times in this thread, so I might as well do it again.

Seriously, are you just trying to provoke people, or are you genuinely stupid?

To quote your own stats...

Those of us with a brain will notice that there is growth month on month. Granted it is growing at a slower rate than previously, but still growing nonetheless.

Why come on an SEO forum to post your pathetic article about SEO being dead anyway? Surely you must have expected people to react in this way

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    TheGoogleGurus, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  3. BusinessCoach

BusinessCoach Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i don't recall you proving anything - except stating your opinion....and yes that is LOSING MARKET SHARE when you factor in the OTHER statistics.

why didn't you paste what yahoo or comscore or anyone else said?

while you have proven that it requires a brain to post here on DP, you have also proven it does NOT require intelligence.

Everyone that has a brain, does not necessarily possess basic intelligence.

If you had ever run anything besides your mouth before (like a business) you would know that in BUSINESS - LESSER GROWTH = LOSS (specifically of market share and potential)

so is 33.1% in 3/09 MORE or LESS growth than 7.6% in 3/10

HINT: LESS

(that means a LOSS based on the previous trend of gaining)

hey wait a minute!

why didnt you use the other stat?

The one with THIS Graphic in the link?

[​IMG]

OK...let's use our brains now...is it INCREASING or DECREASING?

Did its rate GROW?

or, as you say: "are you genuinely stupid?"

maybe we can get a clue from the TITLE of the chart:

Google’s Search Share Down For 4th Straight Month: Hitwise

DOWN? hmmm...as in decrease?

yes, for those with "brains" we see it is DECREASING

it appears there was a christmas spike but overall, LOSS!

You also "forgot" to paste this one:

curious things to say. backs my point, guess thats why you did NOT copy and paste that one huh?

let me help you with a couple more stats...and here is the best part

so SEARCH VOLUME as a whole went UP...the ENGINES just did not see it..why is that???

TADA:

FACEBOOKS search volume INCREASED and even SURPASSED THE ASK NETWORKS!

it is not that people are not searching...they JUST ARE NOT USING ENGINES to do it.

They are using SOCIAL MEDIA instead (but we already showed that stat long ago)

and yes, i expected "pathetic" people to take ONE stat out of a dozen, making it easy to try to "dispute"

those people, (you included,) havent proven anything except your lack of understanding in this industry

bottom Line SEO is dead.

small minded people skip the issues and attack people...keep attacking me.

the real people with brains, can see the stats for what they are...(and are INTELLIGENT enough to go to other industry sources to see the rest and find their own before attempting to dispute something they know little about)

BusinessCoach, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  4. dragons5

Best Answers:
    Surpassed ASK networks? oh no the world will end... I could surpass their search volume.

The searches are all for profiles of people not goods and services, questions, how tos, general topics, medicine, history etc...

Your sensationalism will be proven wrong by the same figures you swear by today in the next few months and I assume you will find something new to force into your insane hypothesis

dragons5, May 1, 2010 IP
  5. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    MY sensationalism?

you have already shown yourself to be a foolish liar.

how is this

$1000 says YOU CAN NOT SURPASS ASKS Search volume

so...tell us how close are you to their search volume now? waiting for you to dazzle us with your skillset to surpass 593 MILLION SEARCHES

look at this:

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/why-facebook-marketing-slaps-twitter-marketing-in-the-face/20474/

[​IMG]

wow SEO is at the BOTTOM...and this is from the SEARCH ENGINE JOURNAL!

interesting article
    http://www.saycampuslife.com/2010/04/30/facebook-supplants-google-but-for-how-long/

why are SEOs last to realize this information?

DON't FORGET DRAGONs5

i have $1000 that says you CAN NOT beat ASK NETWORKS SEARCH VOLUME ANYTIME within the next 3 months.

Put up or shut up

BusinessCoach, May 1, 2010 IP
  6. sanfranciscoseo

sanfranciscoseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe the term "SEO" will be dead in the future IMHO.. But I think the process of promotion will still be the same when you want a organic traffics..

sanfranciscoseo, May 1, 2010 IP
  7. teckinik

teckinik Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely disagree with you on many things. I am still making significant money from seo alone.

The game don't end here brother only rules have changed

teckinik, May 1, 2010 IP
  8. prizeauc

prizeauc Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh i see, but i don't think that SEO will ever die...SEO is very vast field, It will always upgrade and new techniques will come every now and then in this field .....So we should wait for it and hope for the best one

prizeauc, May 1, 2010 IP
  9. dragons5

Best Answers:
    Ok Coach.. so tell me logically how Facebook search could take over web search? That point here is that it is still search. That graphic is pure crap btw.

Consumers always perform a search when they realize they have a need. First they search internally, then ask friends and family and consult trusted sources, then perform an information search. Google has dominated the third section of this, Socials only way is to find a non-invasive way to perform a search service based on questions consumers are asking each other. Twitter is far better poised to do this than facebook because by default Twitter is public. Facebooks pages and behavioral targeted advertisements try to replicate this but get a lousy CPM.

While 87% of Americans are aware of Twitter only 7% actually use it. So that is not a viable option either. And the Twitter model is EXTREMELY easy to replicate and has already sprung a few thousand clones including those by major brands like Google and Yahoo (buzz and meme). This shows the barrier to entry in this market is almost nonexistent at any level except branding.

So the question is what value can twitter offer users that no other service can? The answer? There isn't one right now.. and most likely wont be one before the $$ runs out and the investors head for the hills. Likely hood Twitter will be a footnote of this decade is very high.

Your view that the two cannot coexist is foolish. Reputation management is a great example of how webmasters can fuse both Social Media marketing strategies and SEO. by maintaining a brand pressence on networks where consumers are interacting you can get valuable insights. But will it completely replace SEO? That is a solid NO.

Lets go back to 2004. The world is raving about a little website called MySpace, Google gets in on the hype and signs a $900 million search deal with the company to take over their search results. If social was the new information search surely the search on this website would have proven fruitful for Google right? The problem is people use social search far differently than they use a search engine. The new google video advertisements are prime examples.

What people search for on social websites:
    - friends
    - people they just met
    - politicians
    - belief support groups/pages
    - games / applications
    - Lol cats

Search engines typically try to answer a need or desire:
    - 'how to' questions
    - definitions
    - product reviews
    - entertainment
    - local food and drink suggestions
    - find 'something'

Here are some example Google searches:
    how to tell if my girlfriend is pregnant
    what does 'l33t' mean
    best 2010 movies
    italian restaurant dallas

Now Social media can be broken down into fairly distinct groups: Social Networking, Blogging, Real Time. Social networks usually evolve around a common interest or trait. For example MySpace started with Music, Facebook with college students. Blogging is a deeply personal experience providing personal insights on life, products, and current events. And real time is a streaming update of everything. The value of a real-time service to a business seems pretty clear, however, the value to a consumer is not. What value is there for me to tell the world that a car crash just occurred outside of my apartment complex? Or to tell the world about a new product I purchased and enjoyed? Those quick little blips aggregated can tell us a wealth of information, but people have to be willing to input that data, and that willingness will soon subside after the hype effects brought on my celebrity endorsers and sensational headlines wears off. Just like editing your MySpace profile got old people far preferred the application and uniform design view of Facebook as seen in last years numbers when Facebook officially took over the number one spot in social networking an rocketed up the web popularity charts as MySpace hemorrhaged more and more users.

Again the point here is that while people are spending more time on social networks, those networks do not offer the value of an information search. And unless facebook wants to come out and officially recommend stuff their brand name wont really help small businesses get to the top. However, I am 100% behind leveraging the tools social media websites offer to increase your companies pressence and raise your brand profile in their mind. These types of strategies are successful because they can increase the likely hood that your brand enters into the consumers mind during the "internal search" phase of searching to fulfill their wants, needs and desires.

Summary:
    1. Social media is great for increasing brand awareness and connecting with brands you feel strongly about.
    2. It is bad for direct information search because either A) people wont share the information you're looking for, B) the sites structure won't facilitate that open sharing or C) the site will invade privacy by forcing the information search to take place against users will which will devalue the site in the minds of consumers.
    3. Search Engines (namely Google) are incredible at predicting what consumers want when they type a phrase and consistently supply appropriate information 90% of the time an information search is performed. Social will most likely never be able to replicate this. Example a twitter search for "google down" shows any tweet that has the words "google" and "down" in it. Thus not even close to matching my actual search parameters.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
    dragons5, May 1, 2010 IP
  10. Jihoy

Jihoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BusinessCoach, do you have an example of a website where you successfully generate significant amount of targeted converting traffic for your client, and how do you bring this so-called viral effect when it comes to promoting a boring mon-and-pop local shop?

Jihoy, May 1, 2010 IP
  11. Charlesying_007

Charlesying_007 Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO is an ongoing process and cant die .Article marketing is still best practice to build backlinks

Charlesying_007, May 1, 2010 IP
  12. TheGoogleGurus

TheGoogleGurus Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't know if you posted that graph in an attempt to mislead people or what, but that and the growth figures you posted earlier don't correlate at all, seems you make a living from misleading people.

The graph shows Google's share of all web searches as a percentage, which has fallen slightly but is still at a massive 70%.

The growth figures you posted earlier show growth month on month. Granted the growth has slowed, but there is still growth, which if represented in a graph format like the one above, would still be rising, albeit at a slower rate than before. I can draw it for you if you like?

Anyway, I don't need to argue my point with you any more, I've proven you wrong countless times, hence you had no answer to my previous posts in this thread.

I have experience of running many businesses, and I know that in business time is money. My time could be spent more productively than trying to argue the toss with you over something you clearly know nothing about. You must have spent hours and hours looking for, and selectively posting those statistics, and in reality they prove nothing.

Why don't you head over to a car forum and tell them cars are dead, that would make about as much sense as what you're doing right now.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
    TheGoogleGurus, May 1, 2010 IP
  13. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    stop yappin and POST SOME PROOF!

you can't

SEO is dead...period

14. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Well Business Coach, you must like taking bullets. In my 10 years, I earned more than you will ever make. That is despite paying up to $240,000 a year in US taxes after deductions. I do not need to work any more. My wife and I are set for life, despite disability over 7 years ago. Do you still have your My Space page? What about your WordPress page? You keep chasing your tail around like a dog with maggots infesting its brain.

Why will you not tell all us article writers, SEO pros, and SEM experts who you coach? Teenyboppers? If not I would be glad to send all your students a copy of your outrageous posts. The responses from all over the world have Proven you wrong over and over. Now if you called yourself _______ I would believe it. The nickels and pennies rolling in your head must be causing a loud rattle. You cry like a baby, let prove information that proves nothing. SEO believers are well prepared for the future, not dancing around with black hats looking for the social forum to emerge. Then watch it taken over by masses of people with no money. If you put your money where your mouth is, you sure would not choke. SEO and SEM are what strengthen the very vines you are clinging to.

dyadvisor, May 1, 2010 IP
  15. biztrendz

biztrendz Member

Best Answers:
    SEO is never dead and will never die. Yet, SEO is getting more advanced. Social bookmarking, community networking, blogging, forums and micro blogging are all the advanced terminologies of search engine optimization. Besides people, SEO can not be considered dead by the imagination of a single person. May be it's dead for him, but hey, we all have our own opinions and experiences... Cheers...

PS: If SEO is dead, how come Google updated it's algo this year January 2010? I wonder if they are making it more ADVANCE for their searchers...

biztrendz, May 1, 2010 IP
  16. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    *yawn*

more talk...no evidence.

show me!

you can't

17. dragons5

Best Answers:
    Coach.. you have shown no evidence at all.

dragons5, May 1, 2010 IP
  18. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have lots of valid points there. Facebook is right behind Google in number of visitors. :)

Blue Star Ent., May 1, 2010 IP
  19. acidartworks

acidartworks Member

Best Answers:
    thnx for your article

acidartworks, May 1, 2010 IP
  20. BusinessCoach

Best Answers:
    scroll up - i have shown no less than 6 links to support my position (with EXCERPTS --read the entire links for total information)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.