1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article rewriting

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by kelebrimbor, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.SEOman

Dr.SEOman Peon

Best Answers:
    The people rewriting articles only for get listing in search engines.
    The Search engines will consider this as new articles.

Actually the rewriting means: Read and research. write what you understand.

Dr.SEOman, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  2. amanamission

amanamission Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not true, Jen. I've had several clients who want a reworking of their original content, or that which is PLR or other dupe copy. It's not stealing if you have the right and the client has requested a single-source rewording.

It is far, far better to have multiple sources than to wrestle one poorly written piece into comprehensibility. But a true rewrite is simply an extreme edit...so long as there is no copyright conflict with the original material.

Besides, very few non-fiction pieces contain genuinely original ideas. For those of us working on information-based sites, the basic data is open source.

amanamission, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    True - when you own the rights to the content, you can edit it in any way that you please, and it's not stealing. From the way the OP worded their questions though, it came across that they were talking about rewriting others' content, and that's the context within which I answered. ;) There are exceptions to pretty much every rule. If you own the rights (or bought rights like PLR), then you have permission. Reworking the words of others from a single source, though, is in fact "stealing," and is illegal in places like the US.

jhmattern, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  4. amanamission

amanamission Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Looking back at the OP, I see why you answered as you did. Still, to be clear: it is both legal and ethical to reword articles for which a client has rights, such as PLR.

amanamission, Jul 4, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  5. hippo_dance

hippo_dance Active Member

Best Answers:
    hippo_dance, Jul 7, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  6. Dan077

Dan077 Member

Best Answers:
    In Russia rewriting and copywriting practically differ nothing. Really, for example, search engine mashine can not differ what way had been wrote an article.

Dan077, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Dan - no matter where you are, rewriting will never mean the same thing as copywriting - they're two entirely different things.

jhmattern, Jul 11, 2008 IP
  8. Dan077

Dan077 Member

Best Answers:
    jhmattern, if we are creating text content for web-sites, the way of creation has no practical value, because search engine mashine can not differ what way had been wrote an article.

Dan077, Jul 12, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  9. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Dan, you're missing the point - Copywriting is one thing. Rewriting is something entirely different. You can't claim they're the same thing. We're down to basic definitions here. By your logic, you could also say that running to the store to buy Oreos is equivalent to baking cookies, solely because you end up with cookies either way. That's just not true.

The fact that multiple methods can give you similar results (in this case an article in your hands) does not make the methods the same.

jhmattern, Jul 12, 2008 IP
  10. winsonyeung

winsonyeung Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it normal for rewriting a article and resubmit them to article website.
    But make sure that it is at least 40% different from the first one

winsonyeung, Jul 13, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  11. dynashox

dynashox Premium Member Staff

Best Answers:
    Yes, you can use software to help you to rewrite article. But don't expect to achieve a readable article if you're using this software. Take your time to edit it back. No tools can beat the human brain itself.

dynashox, Jul 13, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  12. nigel130157

nigel130157 Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone ever make up new articles other than re write old ones?

nigel130157, Jul 17, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  13. D-Dark

D-Dark Member

Best Answers:
    rewriting a article is way way back a year issue... i think its ok for copywrite an article just include the above statement... i guess

but reading other articles gives you more idea for more precise and excellent article of your own.

D-Dark, Jul 18, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  14. websolveit

websolveit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ethically speaking I would not rewrite an article and publish as new. The only case rewriting is ethicial is when the author himself or herself requests for you to rewrite in order to improve the search engine ranking and better distribute keywords. Just rewriting an article and publishing without the consent of the original author is plagiarism and should be discouraged. Every article carries some domain (expertise) knowledge of the author and simply writing it in your words without adding value nor citing reference is not done

Arun

websolveit, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  15. kiteguy123

kiteguy123 Guest

Best Answers:
    websolveit, I agree with you to a certain extent, but it depends how you look at it, really:
    - Your way: Someone put time and effort into that piece, why should I have the right to go and steal it, but change the words a little bit. He put the hard work in, I should have his permission.
    - Other way: Well, it's research. If you're writing an article about the land of Timbuctoo, but you've never been, you're going to do research and look at other peoples articles to give you an idea about what to write. So, even though you are 'researching', you are still effectively using their work (even if it's small chunks from different pieces).
    Personally, I'm on the fence. I can see your argument, but then I can see the other argument, too..

kiteguy123, Jul 22, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  16. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    There's a big difference between research and rewriting though. Rewriting generally involves a single article being re-worded. Research involves using multiple articles or other resources as source material to backup original content. The article itself should be original - research provides the supporting facts, and are often publicly cited, whereas in rewriting the copyright holder is pretty much never cited and amounts used don't fall within fair use rules.

jhmattern, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  17. Cuatrofb

Cuatrofb Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is completely legal, because you are just taking a CONCEPT, which can not be copyrighted, and presenting it in your own words. If you only changed like every 10th word, that would be different. But if you're REALLY rewriting it then i think it is completely legal. I mean most writing is on the internet (article-wise) is just copy, not writing. No real substantial THOUGHTS go into it, its just how fast you can write it.:p

Cuatrofb, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  18. ketunchy

ketunchy Peon

Best Answers:
    Rewriting someone else's article is illegal. Only the copyright holder has the legal right to create any derivative / edited work, so you need their permission. when someone buys articles like this, demanding full copyright from the "writer," they don't truly own the copyright, as the writer never owned it to be able to pass it along.

ketunchy, Jul 31, 2008 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  19. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Cuatrofb, you can think it's legal all you want, but in reality, it's not. ;)

From the US Copyright Office:

jhmattern, Aug 1, 2008 IP
  20. Cuatrofb

Cuatrofb Peon

Best Answers:
    Jen, This quote from the copyright office makes no sense. t says NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU CHANGE IT, so i could find an article about breeding cats, then change every word and the topic to shopping for computer speakers, as well as every thought in the article, and it would still be copyright infringement? Haha

Cuatrofb, Aug 1, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.