1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article rewriting

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by kelebrimbor, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Is rewriting articles something that is accepted and ethical or is it something unethical or even an illegal practice?
    How would you define article rewriting? I've tried to find something through archive search but to no avail.

kelebrimbor, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  2. Sam 735

Sam 735 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some people are able to rewrite article that can't be distinguished from the original. Of course Google treats rewriting articles practise as illegal but you can rewrite properly and you won't be caught...

Sam 735, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  3. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    That's strange because this topic was already discussed a few threads back and more than once, but you can always browse manually to find those answers inside this forum.

Trusted Writer, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  4. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Article rewriting goes back years. ALL magazines both off and online do it. You think they can come up with new articles, every single month?

Perry Rose, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    In the US in particular, rewriting someone else's article is illegal. Only the copyright holder has the legal right to create any derivative / edited work, so you need their permission. Passing tools such as copyscape does not mean it's legal - when someone buys articles like this, demanding full copyright from the "writer," they don't truly own the copyright, as the writer never owned it to be able to pass it along.

jhmattern, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  6. kelebrimbor

kelebrimbor Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for commenting. My conclusion is that rewriting is practically somewhere between, in the gray zone. If the changes made are significant enough I think it can be argued that it is not a copyright breach, at least practically speaking. But then it could be said it is a case of plagiarism. Best is to play on the safe side. I can use other people articles as inspiration and then try to write my own.

kelebrimbor, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    In the US, no, it can't be argued that it's not a breach of copyright (although I obviously have no idea where you're personally located). The Copyright Office makes that very clear:

8. altyfc

altyfc Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has got pretty big over the years but, when I last looked at least, it had no judicial powers. ;)

altyfc, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  9. SFolega

SFolega Peon

Best Answers:
    You can take your ideas from an article and write it in your opinion and words. If you do this, always add a citation as to where you got the ideas from.

Sarah

SFolega, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  10. romele

romele Peon

Best Answers:
    I think, rewriting can and should be accepted if there is more than what the original piece had. There is always an idea behind the other newer ideas, not necessarily all of these coming from the same person. Ya, a room for improvement - if this wasn't true, I can't imagine where we still would have been.

romele, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  11. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    romele, that's called using source material... not rewriting. They're two different things. ;)

12. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Rewriting is taking an article and changing the words so it reads differently though, in essence, it is still the same article.

It's generally unacceptable. The only exception I can think of is PLR articles where the copyright holder gives persmission for the articles to be rewitten.

latoya, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  13. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    It is still basically the same article. You are taking an article, and changing it around so it reads differently.

There are exceptions that I can think of. Like PLR articles. It's when the copyright holder gives you permission for the articles to be rewritten. But it's generally unacceptable.

:p

Perry Rose, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  14. romele

romele Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jhmattern :D
    Acknowledged !
    But the essence remains the same. :rolleyes:

Regards
    Rome

romele, Jun 9, 2008 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Not really. Source material simply means you pull facts from various sources (certainly more than one), but not the overall ideas, style, etc. In rewriting, you do nothing original, don't do any real research, don't incorporate any ideas of your own, etc. Using sources, you can quote directly and cite as well, while rewriting is simply a matter of stealing material, attaching new words to it, and calling it your own.

jhmattern, Jun 10, 2008 IP
  16. ashvaj

ashvaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    A writer must know that almost every country has its own copyrights law or Act. It is purely a legal matter and finer details are more likely to vary from one country to another.Apart from this, the relationship between a buyer and the seller is also governed by the "Law of Contracts". This mutual relationship is judicial and quasi-judicial in nature and the provisions may also vary.
    Copying, plagiarism,and other terms must be referred to accordingly.One must know which law prevails under what type of contract.I would advise everyone to have a first hand knowledge of these legal issues.

ashvaj, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  17. ProWrite4U

ProWrite4U Peon

Best Answers:
    Most people take several articles on the topic they are writing about, read and review them, and then create their own article based on those same ideas. If you have access to PLR articles, that you own copyright too, you can rewrite them as many times as needed, depending on the terms of use from the original writer.

ProWrite4U, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  18. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, you can add to what is lacking in the article. Do more research. Refute the claim of the article writer. Total revamp. Nothing is original, actually. What is written today has been written in the past. No one can claim that he/she alone has that kind of thought.

Bohol, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  19. ProWrite4U

ProWrite4U Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see that there is anything wrong with taking an idea and expanding upon it, as long as you completely redo the article/articles you used for research to make them your own...Many writers I know actually subscribe to PLR membership sites, or purchase PLR article packs, then rewrite them, as they have permission to do so, and sell them again for profit... just an idea....

ProWrite4U, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  20. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    PLR is an exception to the rule, for exactly the reason you gave - you have permission to rewrite them. ;) With anything else, using a single article isn't using it for "research" - that's quite possibly an illegal rewrite, as opposed to using several sources for background information and creating your own original article (original as in the approach, formatting, wording - ideas may not be original, but the expression of those ideas should be).

jhmattern, Jun 26, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.