1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article Ratings in Article Marketplace

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by variannas, Jan 23, 2016.

I am a little new to the article marketplace and have a question.

Just out of curiosity, how are the articles rated? It seems like the system on DP rates them automatically. I am not sure if they are rated by word count, spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.

Could anyone please explain this to me? I'd like to increase the rating of my articles but am not quite sure how to do this.

Thanks!

variannas, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's a general algorithmic "quality score" based on all sorts of things. The best thing to do is just write quality and don't worry about the score. Plus getting in the exact *how* of the score only results in bad things (for example people writing for the score, rather than writing good articles).

digitalpoint, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  3. variannas

variannas Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks digitalpoint, I figured it was something like a secret algorithm for the article ratings... I will keep that in mind.

variannas, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  4. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Nah, there is someone in the back that reads every article and assigns it a score.

It's the same person that fills in the rest of the sentence when you type something into Google.

Matthew Sayle, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Regardless, I would perhaps suggest that the automatic algorithm isn't really worth much. Looking at the scores, it seems that the star-rating (which I assume is what we're talking about here) isn't doing much of a job. When almost everything have a 4-star rating or higher, the rating loses all meaning. Might I suggest a slight change, perhaps a weighted ratio?
    1 star: the article passes copyright-assertion / automatic checks for copy and paste
    2 stars: the article passes basic syntax check - capitals after period, some basic grammar checks, and perhaps also a few checks to see if it contains typical grammar-errors from the great former British colonies.
    3 stars: now we're getting trickier - the first three stars should be relatively easy to obtain - most, if not all published articles should reach this level: length is above par, typos none-existent, paragraphs and headings are found (I dunno how the parser checks the content currently, but perhaps demand that content is put into a checker using a template, or at least providing easy markup-like capabilities, something ala Githubs markup-system), and so forth and so on.
    4 stars: Let the script do a bit more in-depth checking - syntax,grammar, also take into account earlier submissions (if possible, also evaluate user-reported ratings), maybe have a weighting based on what level the user claims to be in the language in question (would of course mean that users would have to fill out some information) and so forth and so on.
    5 stars: only obtainable by well-established users who have sold good articles before, and who have a certain level of respect on the forum (more to lose). That way, getting a 5 star standing would actually mean something.

I see that the system calculates a score from 0 to 100, I would suggest, if it's not already like that, that the stars get different amounts of ranges:
    first one: 0-40 points.
    second one: 41-60 points.
    third one: 61-80 points.
    fourth one: 81-90 points;
    fifth one: 91-100 points.

That way, they get harder and harder to obtain, with less points given, and of course, maybe get rid of the stars alltogether (except for showing that a level have been reached, and only give out full stars when a level is at least halfway reached - and just show the percentage score next to the stars. Hence, someone with an article that reaches 84% will still only have 3 stars, but be on the climb to fourth. If the person reaches 85% (or maybe 86%) he will get 4 stars. And so forth and so on.

Probably not a priority, I just think that currently the automated rating doesn't really do anything useful, looking at what is being offered.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 23, 2016 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If it detected plagiarism, it doesn't allow it to be posted. It also doesn't allow posting if the quality score is under 50, which is why you don't see anything with scores under that.

digitalpoint, Jan 24, 2016 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Fair enough - I guessed it already dismissed plagiarised posts, but knowing that stuff with low scores isn't posted at all would perhaps be wise to announce to users, as well? I couldn't find it when I looked at the help-files.
    I still contest that the scoring system isn't really finely tuned - granted, you usually get what you pay for, I know that, but some of the stuff (well, not the actual stuff, I haven't bothered spending money actually buying what is being offered), but looking at the quality of the posts posted by the authors, the grammar and lack of skill in the English language, I wouldn't even want to buy at least half what is being offered, with scores of 4 stars and up.

PoPSiCLe, Jan 24, 2016 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Ya agreed... There is only so much you can do when you are trying to automatically determine something that ultimately is subjective (quality). It's intended as a tool but not a definitive answer. People should also be looking at marketplace ratings of sellers. Those are left by buyers and should be a better guide since they are done by humans.

digitalpoint, Jan 24, 2016 IP