1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article question

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by William Martin, Mar 27, 2006.

I'm just starting to get into this article lark but have a question:

Is it better to write your articles and just publish them on your own site or publish them on your own site AND submit them to 50/60 article sites?

The reason I ask, duplicate content. If you've got hundreds of websites carrying identical copy there are going to penalities.

Thanks.

William Martin, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  2. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Any dup content penalty will be applied to the article sites and won't devalue the links you have gained.

The duplicate content penalty will simply stop the article sites ranking highly when you search for terms related to the article.

mad4, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  3. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    don't worry about duplicate contents too much (for articles only ;) )
    Publish them on different sites it will give you backlink and traffic as well :)

There is one very genious dp member mad4 contact him :)

Mong, Mar 27, 2006 IP
    mad4 likes this.
  4. mit

mit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, From my suggestion DO this -

Make different articles for outer world and different for your personal websites.

It will give you the freedom from duplicate content, must be expensive.

Regards,
    Amit Verma

mit, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  5. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone. :)

William Martin, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  6. FireStorM

FireStorM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You will not get penalised for duplicate content .

FireStorM, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  7. The_Rock

The_Rock Member

Best Answers:
    1) Add those Articles to another sites, which have been Crawled by Search Engine... so it does not count as copy content for your site as SE have crawled the content, first on your site.
    2) Dont make over-submission of Articles to bunches of sites

The_Rock, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  8. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not?

Getting your articles on as many sites as possible is the best way to build links. Having your article on 100 sites is much better than having it on 10 sites.

mad4, Mar 27, 2006 IP
  9. seoocean

seoocean Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Mad is right here !!

More over Duplicate content penalty will be applied to the site that publishes the article - What you get is pure backlinks and thats what articles are supposed to be used for !!

Seo Ocean

seoocean, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  10. articlebazar

articlebazar Peon

Best Answers:
    hey, if you don't mind, pls submit those articles to my newly launched article website: www.articlebazar.com, will be highly appreciated, and any comments on my site will be apprecited too, thanks a lot!

articlebazar, Mar 28, 2006 IP
  11. sypher

sypher Guest

Best Answers:
    Agreed. Thats the best way to go.

sypher, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  12. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    The duplicate content penalty is typically applied to one site that has hundreds of similar pages in an effort to spam the search engines. If you write a script that simply changes the title of your page every time it loads, but the content stays the same, and then use that page for your 404 page, you will end up with a penalty because you will appear to have thousands of pages that are virtually identical on thousands of unique urls.

The duplicate content filter is applied to sites that all print the same thing. This is because when you are searching for something, SE's assume you don't want to see the exact same result across thousands of sites. For example, if you search for stories on Villepin's approval rating, you don't want to see all 50,000 sites that just published the same AP news article about yesterdays protests. You are probably more interested in seeing a broad range of different articles that match your search term. Therefore, the SE's apply a filter that filters out (not penalizing them) the other 49,999 sites printing that AP news article in favor of that one *best* site with the article. This way there is room for other older articles about Villepin.

You can read some actual test results here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=652530#post652530

Tim_Myth, Mar 29, 2006 IP
    William Martin, yfs1 and mad4 like this.
  13. William Martin

Best Answers:
    Quality post that thanks. Have some green :)

William Martin, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  14. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Croeso William is tha a Wrecsam club badge I see?

Way Down south me, Neath :D

Old Welsh Guy, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  15. Roxyyo

Roxyyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Article submissions are great to leverage content that is older on your site, but I would definitely keep your fresh content for yourself (unless you're in the sandbox) Why send a visitor to someone else's site when you can direct them straight to yours. You lose the "backlink" (which may or may not be as valuable as it once was after Google's latest update) but have a much better chance of getting that visitor to your site...I wonder what percentage of people really check out the bio links. Would be an interesting thing to study.

Roxyyo, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  16. William Martin

Best Answers:
    Croeso!

It certainly is WAFC! :D

William Martin, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  17. Tim_Myth

Tim_Myth Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. The standpoint I have taken with my articles is to publish them on my site first and only submit them to article directories after they are assigned PR. This gives me a slight edge on other sites that may republish my article. Remember, Google has this to say about PageRank:
    I know at least some people click on the bio links because I've got one site that gets between 100-200 visitors a day normally, but when I publish an article my traffic jumps to the 1000-2000 mark for about 4 or 5 days (depending on the quality of the article). However, to test the bio links, one could write a group of articles on pretty much anything and point the bio link to a unique survey page that asked the reader to rate the article for "spamminess", if they plan on publishing the article, why they clicked the link, etc. I'd also orphan the survey page so that the only inbound links are from the article. Ahh...if only I had more free time.

Tim_Myth, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  18. SKE11

SKE11 Peon

Best Answers:
    I ran a little experiment recently, I set up a new site and optimised it for a very low searched for keyword, I wrote an article and sent it to over 150 article directories and did no other advertising or link building for the site, I got 46 visitors to the site from the directory listings (the resource box).

After 2 days it was in MSN at number 1 and after 5 days number 1 on google, nothing from yahoo after a week.

I think this shows that if you target the right keywords just using one article in the correct way you can get search engine rankings, now I just need to find keywords with no competition that people are searching for.

SKE11, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  19. projectw3

projectw3 Banned

Best Answers:
    You sent it to over 150 directories?
    Care to share the list? :D
    Anyway, here's a good thread with a list:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=62009

projectw3, Mar 31, 2006 IP
  20. SKE11

SKE11 Peon

Best Answers:
    It was that list I got them from, not all of them were working some did not accepted pet related articles and after a couple of hours I got fed up and did not do any more once I reached 150.

I have also used Mad4’s submission services, well worth $30 for 2 articles.

SKE11, Apr 1, 2006 IP