1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article Marketing Has Crashed! Ezine Articles Sees 71% of Rankings Drop

Discussion in 'Google' started by Chris Munch, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The fact remains - Google wants to clean up its search - and this was best way to yield out content farms, but then again, aren't spammers ranking better now as well?
    SEMrush

ForgottenCreature, Mar 16, 2011 IP
    SEMrush
  2. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    do you have any examples? i've seen this said a few times but haven't seen any proof. Would be interesting to see.

If Google's purpose was to go after content farms then i'm sure the result would have seen some sites in niche terms boost rankings as the articles etc... above them lost rankings. There was a post on SEOMoz explaining how Q&A sites seemed to avoid the steely taste of Googles sword on this update (i have only browsed it thus far).

I had a lengthy debate over how this update affected links with someone yesterday. They claimed that because Google devalued the content of an article directory based on the domain and the contents of the domain that the links were then useless. Barry Schwartz claimed in 2009 that a video from Matt Cutts seemed to state that Google treats links based on the group association of the sites (i.e. social media, blogs, article directories, etc..) However upon watching the video Matt, In My Opinion, states fairly clearly that Google might have the ability to do this but that they do not. http://searchengineland.com/insight-into-how-google-values-different-link-types-17226

So it's safe to say that Google can categorize websites (see 'similar' links next to top domains in SERPs) and does for usability reasons in the SERPs but when it comes to counting link value looks at more holistic metrics such as the type of content, inbound links, outbound links etc.. just like the classic PR system has always done. The difference with the new system seems to emphasize focus on the on-page content to eliminate duplicate content and low quality content and the benefits they have been providing through 'article marketing' matt discusses this frankly in a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5xP-pTmlpY (bonus: notice he mentions 'duplicate anchor text' i.e. watch what anchor text you're getting from domains and mix it up)

So Google is against writing an article and having it republished all over the web GOOD! that's been going on for years and it's about time they started attacking the junk. So Google is against LOW QUALITY Articles, GOOD! it's annoying seeing something with grammatical errors and 400 word minimum get a website benefits.

Matt isn't a fan of 'Article Marketing' as in the practice of redistributing articles or the process of writing poor content. He is a fan of writing high quality content. Does this mean Ezine and others are useless? If you were a junk spammer, then yes they are extremely useless to you now, as is most every other website on the web.

Facts:
    - It's harder to get an article on a directory website to rank now
    - It's harder to get an article on a directory indexed now
    - It's harder to get a a link in an article counted now
    - A PR 6 domain is still a PR6 domain
    - A PR 1 page is still a PR 1 page

If you were an SEO having low quality garbage content written and pushed out on these sites it's likely that Google isn't indexing it or that the sites will take action against it anyways. Delete your JUNK! clean up the web by erasing the crap you've pushed out there where possible and keep only the best quality work. This will in-kind make the domains they are on look less junky and improve the chances of content across the domain ranking better. The better chances that content has at ranking, the better chances you have at getting the link to count again.

Myths:
    #1 - Google devalued content on Ezine, HubPages, AnswerBag, etc.. therefore links on these sites are worthless
    this is simply not the case. read anything Google itself has released and none of it mentions link value. as my prior assertion states and at least one SEO agrees with me on, this was a secondary goal of Farmer/Panda. Of course if content was labeled as 'junk' google is not going to count the link, and if your content is on a domain cluttered with junk you've just made your job harder. In the update Google likely deindexed some autoblogs filled with spun content taken from article directories, yet they still index over 15 million pieces from EzineArticles.com itself. If that content is out of view then most of those links are not currently counting. It will take other trust signals to get Google to rank the page better and therefore index the links on that page.

#2 - Google hates Article sites, Q&A sites, Social Hub sites (squidoo and hubpages)
    FALSE - Google and the web spam team hate what these sites are used for. In the video above Matt Cutts shows clear disdain for mass production of low quality garbage as we all should. While Answerbag went down in rankings, Instructables.com saw a considerable rise. While Mahalo and Ezine got slammed eHow so a slight rise and while Hubpages got annihilated Squidoo saw only modest drops. If you look at who got hit and who improved or took less of a hit you can see clear indicators. Mahalo was known for scraping other sites including Wikipedia and doing slight rewrites, so that domain was packed full of junk content in the eyes of the new update, eHow is difficult to become an expert on and has tight editorial control over the content there.

Ezine has editorial guidelines but they are/were pretty relaxed. I have done my own testing and gotten pure junk approved there several times (all deleted now btw). The web spam team is far smarter than I am and likely knew the same and developed an algorithm to detect just this. AnswerBag.com has shallow content while Instructables has robust content with a great community that comments and helps each other. Here are the top items from each's homepage as of this posting:
    Instructables: http://www.instructables.com/id/Coke-Cake/
    AnswerBag: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2452495

which one looks like real unique, genuine content? AnswerBag just reeks of shallow here. A question that seemed to confuse even the community on it's purpose or intent is placed with high value, on instructables you learn how to make a unique cake.

Hubpages appears to have tight editorial control on submission of content based on the type of content, but duplicate content and low quality garbage seemed to slip through their editorial guidelines. While Squidoo uses their internal 'lensrank' to determine pages that stay in Google's view (roughly top 1,500 per category according to my testing) along with editorial guidelines that likely kept Google from indexing a bunch of useless junk and seeing a larger percentage of good content, thus taking a lower hit.

Both Hubpages and Ezine have come out in defense of their high quality contributors without admitting failures on their own part. The later, however, has taken fairly aggressive steps to eliminate the usage of the site for junk content and the junk content itself and it appears Christopher Knight and Co. are not going to slow down anytime soon.

This should make any SEO that practiced junk ashamed - that there are good, decent, hard working people who have been posting non-SEO centric content to these sites for years in order to make a tiny income, share their knowledge, make something for fun or all of the above. Thanks to SEO's those domains have now been packed full of garbage which hurts the communities that have been there to use the sites for their purpose. But we can't just blame the SEO's you didn't hear Ezine, Demand Media, HubPages or Seth Godin complain about the checks they were getting from guess who.... Google Adsense. These sites/companies made millions on the backs of junk content.

Google's update had one major goal, to make it less profitable for these sites to aid the junk spammers in their quest to game Google's system. The after effect will be some sites shutting down, some cleaning up and others developing innovative systems to detect spam, junk and duplicate content on their domain.

It's a clear cut slice to the throat of spam marketing as a whole and should be taken as such. Article writers that write good quality content shouldn't necessarily stop. Examine where you are submitting and measure which ONE site gives you the best ROI in terms of traffic (seo value is likely minimal for the time being). Write good, well researched, good grammar articles over 1,000 words and link to pages that are related.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    dragons5, Mar 16, 2011 IP
  3. poppaippi

poppaippi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea its bad for now..but its not the end of the world. I think as you write good content..then you will still rank high..

poppaippi, Mar 16, 2011 IP
  4. rishadjubin

rishadjubin Peon

Best Answers:
    In article marketing, can we duplicate (copy and paste) the same contents on our website to article marketing sites like ezine, squidoo etc., or can we rewrite the same articles on our website and submit to ezine.

rishadjubin, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  5. bfpseller

bfpseller Peon

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content will kill you sooner later. Rewrited-content may or may not.

bfpseller, Mar 23, 2011 IP