1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, I have previously posted about a very traditional Saturday night meal in New England: franks and beans. However, I neglected to mention another New England food that is served with the dish, canned brown bread:

brownbreadcanned.jpg

You can buy it in most grocery stores and below is the brand I would expect to see most often:

B&MBrownBread.png

It tends to be a bit on the dry side which makes it a great accompaniment to the baked beans and sweet and tangy sauce. It is really the perfect complement to franks and beans and worth a try if you come across it.

jrbiz, Jan 30, 2016 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, this is neither a food nor are its origins in New England. However, when we get the DP Foodie World Tour Bus rolling, it will likely start here in Rhode Island and you will be offered my favorite (and only) morning drink. It starts with my favorite tea bags:

pgtipsbox.jpg
    They are uniquely shaped as a pyramid, ostensibly for better water saturation of the tea leaves:

pgtipsbag.jpg

But, for me, part of the secret to this great tasting tea is the device that we brew the tea in. You no longer can purchase this appliance (they have not been manufactured for probably 20 years or more) but there is no comparison with any other tea-making method (and, believe me, I have tried many other devices.)

mrstea.jpg

It is a Mrs. Tea which, for a brief time, was manufactured by the same company that was famous for its Mr. Coffee machine. I cannot tell you how superior tea is that is brewed in this device. Combined with the great flavor of PG Tips, it is the best tea that I have ever had. Of course, we drink it with cream (or milk) and sweetener:

cupoftea.jpg

So, be ready to have a great tasting start to the first morning of the World Tour!

jrbiz, Feb 7, 2016 IP
  3. Aabha

Aabha Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @jrbiz this is one of my favourite dish veg handi biryani ...

Handi-Biryani.jpg

Aabha, Feb 10, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that looks delicious! Can you provide a brief list of the key ingredients? It looks like there are different types of rice in it and I love a dish that uses more than one type. The picture has made me hungry and it is a long time until dinner!

jrbiz, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  5. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok I haven't share here for a while :D

A coworker brought something that looks something like this:

[​IMG]
    The picture above is called "Tamale", I do believe Mexicans have their own version, Claudia Sandoval prepared one on Master Chef :D

The one that my coworker brought is a bit different. It only has ground pork saute'd till crispy for its toppings and then we deep it sweet and spicy soy sauce. I forgot what it's called but that is the closest one I can find. Hehe.

Vitarank, Feb 10, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    If it is wrapped with corn flour dough, it is near the top of my list for this type of food! I love corn flour based foods!!! This one looks great and the sweet and spicy sauce sounds really good, too. I am still hours from dinner, unfortunately, because I am now super hungry. :)

jrbiz, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You know, your post got me really thinking about Mexican food tonight and I wanted to mention that my wife made Mexican Spoon Bread over the weekend. Our first introduction to it was many years ago at our favorite Mexican restaurant and it is fantastic:

mexicanspoonbread.jpg

With just about all corn breads or muffins, I love the taste but find them to be a bit dry and in need of a healthy dollop of butter. With the Spoon Bread, however, it is so moist and sweet that I eat it, as is. The bad news is that I did not get a taste of the Spoon Bread that the wife made a few days ago. I am low-carb-ing it, unfortunately.

jrbiz, Feb 10, 2016 IP
  8. HelenVendo

HelenVendo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's a traditional Ukrainian dish called potato dumplings. It's usually eaten with a sour cream. The favourite dish from the childhood. [​IMG]

HelenVendo, Feb 11, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My wife buys frozen potato dumplings all of the time and they are okay; but your version above looks so much better! I assume that they are so yellow due to eggs and butter? The ones that my wife buys are off-white in color. I am sure that yours are much tastier. I need to add sour cream on the side next time we have them. Had not thought of that; we mostly just eat them swimming in melted butter.

When I was a kid, I had a Ukrainian friend and I recall some great sweets and some sort of traditional beef dish that was also really good. Thanks for your post and keep them coming!

jrbiz, Feb 11, 2016 IP
    Webcenter likes this.
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Growing up I used to eat home-made dumplings (meat, potato). The dumplings I bought a couple times at the local grocery stores tasted like one of those flu vomits that lingers in your mouth for hours afterwards. If you didn't try home-made dumplings @jrbiz you didn't try dumplings at all.

qwikad.com, Feb 11, 2016 IP
    HelenVendo and jrbiz like this.
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, it is hard for me to do anything but agree with you. :) However, in my defense I will point out that just about anything, even flu vomit, can be enjoyed if it is swimming in enough butter. ;)

jrbiz, Feb 11, 2016 IP
  12. HelenVendo

HelenVendo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you!
    Yes, we also have frozen version of potato dumplings but these are totally different things when you cook it together with all your family from home natural products and when you buy it in some shop. And sour cream is inseparable part of this dish so you should definitely try it!

HelenVendo, Feb 12, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am looking forward to adding sour cream to the dish. I know that @qwikad.com is dismayed that I am eating the frozen variety, but it is the only option I have right now.

jrbiz, Feb 12, 2016 IP
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, it is Valentine's Day and the kids are getting older, the wife is sick of flowers, candy, balloons, etc. So, I decided that, while I would still get them a little candy (the sweet Valentine Hearts candy with different Valentine messages on each one,) I would also get them some fresh baked donuts this morning. I realized that our favorite donut place is also a New England-founded and headquartered business (though it has expanded around the country and even internationally, I am told) that is totally on topic for this thread:

dunkin_logo.jpg

You can find a Dunkin Donuts in just about every town in New England. The bigger the town, the more Dunkin Donuts you will find there. In bigger cities, you can find one every few blocks. They dominate Starbucks and other such enteprises around here. They offer many breakfast foods and drinks, and even some lunch items, but they are known for their large selection of fresh baked donuts. Because it is Valentine's Day, I will probably pick up some of these heart-shaped Boston Cream style donuts:
    heartdonuts.jpg

However, were I not on a miserable diet, I would likely also pick up a Glazed Stick:

DDglazedstick.jpg

Or a chocolate glazed donut:

DDchocolateglazed.jpg

Boy, this post is really making me hungry! But I have to ask: what is the donut situation in your locale? Would love to hear about your favorites, uniques, etc. :)

jrbiz, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    They haven't done too well here but I had a work trip to Boston when my daughter was 3. We all went and my husband looked after the kids while I worked. There was a DD at our T station on Comm Ave and I think it got a bit of business from us. We returned home and about 4 years later the first DD was about to open up. My daughter stood in front of where the shop was being fitted out but already had signage and was transfixed as her brain tried to work out why it looked familiar. They haven't done terribly well down here in NZ though. Not enough brand domination and lots of competitors. Small, owner run bakeries that aren't part of a franchise are still very successful and a cultural norm.

sarahk, Feb 14, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that I have been to the DD you are mentioning at the T station on Comm. Ave. Green Line, I think. :)

There is no question that better donuts can be had elsewhere. We have another chain that is much smaller and covers only a limited geography called Honey Dew Donuts. I actually prefer their donuts but DD is the "gold standard" with the rest of the family. And, I have never had a "bad" donut, anyway. :)

jrbiz, Feb 14, 2016 IP
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure how I missed adding these delights to this thread, but will make up for it now. These sweet treats have their origins in NY, but can be found in most New England grocery stores. In NYC, they are called "Black and Whites" and the cookie part is vanilla. In the upstate NY version, the cookie is chocolate and, my wife assures me, is much better than the vanilla version. My wife is originally from a town near the Utica area where Hemstrought's Bakery says it started the "Half-Moon" cookie, which is its counterpart for NYC's offering. In addition to the flavor of the cookie underneath, the NYC version uses fondant as its topping while the Utica version uses buttercream frosting. Here is a picture of the Half-Moon:

half-moon-tray.jpg

Really chocolatey and the half vanilla frosting adds a nice twist to the chocolate experience. Note that the "cookie" is made with a batter that is "half cookie and half cake" so the texture is softer than what you would expect but still firm enough to be a cookie. Will bring a few dozen on the World Tour bus. :)

jrbiz, Feb 28, 2016 IP
  18. Rado_

Rado_ Active Member

Best Answers:
    My favourite Bulgarian dish is called Moussaka. The main ingredients are potatoes, minced meat and egg topping.
    [​IMG]

My second favourite dish is called Sarmi (stuffed with minced meat once again cabbage).
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, the traditional bulgarian Banitsa. It's made of filo pastry, white cheese and egg topping. [​IMG]

Rado_, Feb 29, 2016 IP
    Vitarank and jrbiz like this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, @Rado_ these dishes look fine. And, they look like a complete meal. Meat and Potatoes, a cabbage dish, and then a sweet for dessert. A complete dinner menu! I have not had Moussaka but it looks and sounds great. How can you go wrong with meat, potatoes and egg? :)

The cabbage dish looks an awful lot like the Polish golombki that my wife and I love. But, I have to say that if I could only taste one of the above foods, it would be the Banitsa. Of course, I had dinner a little while ago, so something sweet would be perfect right now. ;)

Thanks for the great post. I need to find out if we have a Bulgarian-themed market around here...

jrbiz, Feb 29, 2016 IP
  20. Rado_

Rado_ Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can agree on 100% with you that they look very ugly but believe me they are delicious! I can't explain you what they taste like cause they don't have nothing in common with the dishes around the world.

Here are some traditional bulgarian desserts:
    Tikvenik. It's made of sweet pumpkin, filo pastry, mashed peanuts and powdery sugar. Dried fruits are optional.
    [​IMG]

Second dish is Mlqko s oriz (milk with rice). People usually sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon on top. It's one very sweet and tasty dessert.
    [​IMG]

The list goes on and on and I can write more but I don't have time now. Bulgarian's cuisine is very rich. I will post more further in time.

Rado_, Mar 2, 2016 IP
    jrbiz likes this.