1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps we have a World Tour that includes planned Gatherings along the way for those who cannot make the tour but want to participate locally. It might be better if the van had deployable wings, too. Of course, I would be most interested in the density of cup holders and food trays in the cabin.

jrbiz, Sep 25, 2015 IP
    Matthew Sayle likes this.
  2. Matthew Sayle

Matthew Sayle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Fantastic idea!

Hopefully the world food tour can also include favorite micro brews from the areas as well :D

Matthew Sayle, Sep 25, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You have to have something to wash down all the great food. Beer is certainly a great option! We will, of course, need a designated driver for the van...:)

jrbiz, Sep 26, 2015 IP
  4. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    We should make the mods drive us around :D

Matthew Sayle, Sep 26, 2015 IP
    sarahk and jrbiz like this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Hadn't thought of that! Great idea! They have nothing better to do, anyway. :)

jrbiz, Sep 26, 2015 IP
  6. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So, speaking of hitting a few microbreweries on the World Tour, I opened up the Providence Journal a little while ago and saw a news item that Narragansett Beer is making a beer in honor of Allie's Donuts (whom I mentioned before as the makers of the Donut Birthday Cake) and their much better known, Double Chocolate Porter Donuts:

alliesdonuts.png

alliesdonutpackage.png

I tried to find a picture of the proposed beer (I assume that it will be chocolate-flavored???) but is looks like it is a bit too early for that. I have to admit that I have not yet tried this iconic RI food, but it is now on my critical short list. My birthday is coming soon and I will temporarily stop the diet for that; perhaps one the above donuts will be part of the celebration. :)

jrbiz, Sep 26, 2015 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You know, the mods have been remarkably silent on this thread. Perhaps there are no good foods where they live? :)

jrbiz, Sep 26, 2015 IP
  9. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    Maybe we should start fighting... I am sure that will bring them out from their hiding places :D

jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    This is the tastiest thread on DP. They'll come around. ;)

jrbiz, Sep 26, 2015 IP
  11. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not so. If this were the tastiest thread on DP, someone would have eaten it by now and I would not have been able to reply to it.

mmerlinn, Sep 26, 2015 IP
    jrbiz and Matthew Sayle like this.
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Does drooling over one's keyboard count? Or, what about feeling pangs of hunger after reading a few posts? :)

And did I mention that reading and posting on this thread is completely natural with no artificial ingredients, gluten, or calories? ;)

jrbiz, Sep 26, 2015 IP
  13. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm in NZ and the food is great but it's not "indigenous", some of it is crap but, mostly, it's good food cooked well. You'll certainly enjoy it more than say, food in Anaheim :)

sarahk, Sep 26, 2015 IP
    jrbiz and Matthew Sayle like this.
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My wife and I found a great steakhouse in Anaheim once but could never remember its name or find it again on subsequent visits. It probably closed. Anyway, San Jose has the worst food... :)

But this thread is about foods that are prepared locally that the rest of the world should know about if and when they visit your area. A "must try" in NZ. Earlier in this thread, I posted about a peanut butter sandwich (actually, a FlufferNutter) because it has New England roots. So, it does not have to be some fancy, one-of-a-kind dish. Would love to learn about any specialties or treats you enjoy there.

jrbiz, Sep 26, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'll fill you up on Kumara chips (fries) with sour cream, the best!
    And torment you with the need to decide if you are Vegemite guy or a Marmite guy. You can only be in one camp, choose wisely.
    On our road trip, if you behave, you'll be rewarded with pineapple lumps, jet planes and milk bottles.
    As for the micro-brews, bring lots of money, they're pricey and hard to avoid. Very "in" at the moment.

My daughter's coach says there is a distinct difference between US Grass Fed beef and NZ GF so just having a steak will probably be a treat. I splashed out and had steak while I was in Anaheim and nearly cried when it turned out to be a hamburger pattie. (Caught up with Shawn later on and had my only decent meal of the trip). Steak down here is a piece of meat, waved vaguely near something hot. I'm like it a little more cooked than that and am considered a heathen.

sarahk, Sep 26, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  16. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you fell victim for what we call a "chopped steak", which is not a steak at all.

Always order a sirloin, new york strip, ribeye or a T-bone and you can't go wrong.

I do like my steaks bloody - I don't think it's fair to give all the flavor to the briquettes (never gas!)

jrbiz and sarahk like this.
  17. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, Kumara chips sound interesting. And, almost anything that is complemented with sour cream is good in my book!

I have tried both vegemite (a long time ago) and marmite (within the past two years when in UK.) I have to say that both of these foods are an acquired taste. The colleague who turned me on to marmite said that she likes it on toast with a slice of tomato for breakfast.

I have heard great things about NZ beef, so it will definitely have to be on the list. I tend to like my steak pink and juicy, but not moo-ing.

Unfortunately, with this crew, I doubt that there will be much good behavior in the World Tour van. That's the good news, of course. :)

OMG, I thought that I was the only BBQ-er who still uses briquettes! In fact, I have a Weber, gas-fired grill that is intended to be used only to fire up the real charcoal briquettes (so that you do not have to ruin them with the taste of lighter fluid.) It is MUCH more work, of course, so we grill less than if it was simply turning on a burner and cooking, but the taste is ten times better, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
    jrbiz, Sep 27, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  18. Matthew Sayle

Best Answers:
    I am trying to picture how that would work.

I just have the standard weber grill I got about 6 years ago for around $45 - never failed me once!

Matthew Sayle, Sep 27, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There is the regular Weber grill "bowl" except that there is a little pipe that goes into it from a tiny gas tank on the side. You place the briquettes over the grill frame piece that the gas pipe is underneath and then light the flame. It burns upward into the briquettes and, after 5-10 minutes, they are white hot and ready to go. here is a picture of it:

Weber Grill.jpg

Mine is red and real old, but it is the same set up. Note the tiny gas tank in front of the storage bin.

jrbiz, Sep 27, 2015 IP
  20. spuunkDK

spuunkDK Member

Best Answers:
    Shit... You can get that model in Denmark too, but with a waaaaay smaller gas tank, like 210 grams. But still amazing grill. I prefer this over my gas grill.

spuunkDK, Oct 1, 2015 IP
    Matthew Sayle and jrbiz like this.