1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Armchair Dining on DP

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015.

One of the things that I like best about DP is that there are members from all over the world. This thread is intended to capitalize on this broad perspective in a fun way. Background: our local library hosts monthly meetings of the "Armchair Travel" group, in which a like-minded group of people get together to share stories, pictures, etc., on a particular place far away. It allows for some vicarious experiences once a month.

So,I think that it would be fun to hear from "DP Armchair Diners" all over the world regarding a regional food that I should be sure to check out when I visit the area. It does not have to be the fanciest food, most expensive food, etc. The criteria is that it has to be good to eat, can only be had in your locale/region, and should be on a visitor's "must eat" list. It would be great if you could post a picture of the dish, too.

I will start this thread off with a little known, New England comfort food favorite, Lobster Mac & Cheese:

LobsterMac.jpg

Looking forward to having some great and delicious input. I am hungry already! :)

jrbiz, Mar 13, 2015 IP
    vrwrys, JEET, Matthew Sayle and 3 others like this.
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Cheese and Vegemite jaffle. Ultimate hangover cure. Ultimate second dinner.
    If you want to be classy and impress the ladies, break all the rules and use Promite instead of Vegemite, and cut it diagonally.
    [​IMG]

Kerosene, Mar 14, 2015 IP
    Karen May Jones, sarahk and jrbiz like this.
  3. lofuji

lofuji Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is a simple Hong Kong speciality: pan-fried noodles, as made by a close friend who just happens to be one of the best Chinese chefs in the territory.

tom's chow mein[2].jpg

lofuji, Mar 14, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  4. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First off, sorry if I'm breaking the rules. Though Tandoori Chicken is not a dish specific to my region, I couldn't resist mentioning it. It's very popular throughout India. One of my all-time-favorites, I enjoy it at least once every two weeks. @jrbiz, be sure to check it out if you're here anytime.
    As for the snaps, I unfortunately can't post that of a homemade Tandoori Chicken right now :( , so here are some I've picked at random:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Content Maestro, Mar 14, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Looks darn good! I have had vegemite but never promite.

I love shrimp dishes!

Tandoori and Tikka Masala are probably my favorite Indian foods. However, it is paratha that I recently learned the name of (I had had it 20 years ago and did not know what it was called) and that it top of my list for Indian food. Problem is that my wife and kids do not like it, so I have not had the opportunity lately...

I knew this thread was going to make me hungry... :)

jrbiz, Mar 14, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  6. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Yep, Tikka Masala is an awesome dish too.:)
    There are many varieties that come in Paratha. Probably, you should encourage them to try some among these. I'm sure they'll like at least 4 to 5 of them.
    Same here.:)

jrbiz likes this.
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @Content Maestro , you can really help me, because the paratha that I had (it was in London, many, many years ago) was round like a pie or cake and was on the thicker side and they cut it like cake or pie slices and served them to us. It seemed to be made of many layers of dough with a very rich buttery taste. It did not seem to have any filling other than the butter. It was served before the main entrees were brought out. Do you know which paratha this is?

jrbiz, Mar 14, 2015 IP
  8. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Don't want to sidetrack this thread, but... I love mac & cheese and love lobster, but seeing these two together made me not want either one of them. Is it really that good?

qwikad.com, Mar 14, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  9. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    At a guess, what you had in London sounds to me like a plain Butter Paratha. Actually, I can't tell you offhand which type that was specifically, because the recipes to make many Parathas are very similar. Most of them are round and dough is quite a common ingredient. I'm, however, surprised to know that there wasn't any filling. Even as you move from one place to another within India or other regions in South Asia, you'll find sub-varieties within a variety. Many regions have their own particular versions. Again, the Paratha you get in UK or other places far away from India must be very different from the one you get here. So, it's quite hard for me to figure out what the dish was you had way back when. Anyway, if I'm somehow able to find it out, I'll definitely keep you posted.:)

jrbiz likes this.
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It is very good, depending on how it is made, of course. Lobster has a very delicate taste, so it can get drowned out by the flavor of the Mac and Cheese, if not done well. Done correctly, the full flavor of the lobster is complemented by the other ingredients. If you have had Lazy's Man's Lobster, which is typically a creamy casserole of lobster and bread crumbs, you can imagine the Mac and Cheese replacing the cream and bread crumbs as the agent that holds the casserole together.

jrbiz, Mar 15, 2015 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I think that your guess is right as it was served before the meal as rolls and butter might be prior to dinners here in the U.S. It sound like when I finally make to India, I will have to go on a "Paratha Tour" around the country. :)

jrbiz, Mar 15, 2015 IP
  12. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Don't miss one place for Parathas whenever you're here - Gali Paranthe Wali.

Content Maestro, Mar 15, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, here is my next offering from the area: New England Clam Chowder. Note that this is a white, cream and butter chowder which differentiates it quite a bit from a Manhattan (Red) Clam Chowder. NE Clam Chowder is the way to go. Here is a picture from one of the best makers of NE Clam Chowder in Boston, Legal Seafoods:

Chowder.jpg

Now, an honorable mention has to go to the Seafood Chowder made by the No Name Restaurant which is conveniently located on the docks of Boston and tucked amid the fish processing factories. It looks a little weird, but it is pure scrumptiousness and chock full of a wide variety of fresh seafood off the boats today:

nonamechowder.jpg

I'm hungry again... :)

jrbiz, Mar 22, 2015 IP
    qwikad.com and Content Maestro like this.
  14. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Had a very traditional New England dessert last night and thought that it should go on my list. It is Boston Cream Pie which is actually a cream-filled cake:

Boston Cream Pie.jpg

Boston Cream Pie2.jpg

Heading to our favorite Chinese buffet tonight, however. :)

jrbiz, Apr 3, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and qwikad.com like this.
  15. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Something I used to eat a lot as a kid:

1.jpg

They are similar to Chinese dumplings, still slightly different. Would eat a bowl of them right now in a heartbeat.

qwikad.com, Apr 14, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro and jrbiz like this.
  16. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    It looks great, @qwikad.com. What is it called and where might one find it? By the way, the shine on the dough reminds me of the pierogi dough that my Polish friend's mother used to make for us as kids. Blueberry, were my favorite.

jrbiz, Apr 14, 2015 IP
  17. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    You can probably find them at some Russian market over in MA. Just ask them something like: У вас пельмени есть?

Rado_ch, jrbiz and Content Maestro like this.
  18. Content Maestro

Best Answers:
    Can you post an audio of its pronunciation? :rolleyes:

Content Maestro, Apr 14, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  19. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    It goes something like this: U vas pel'meni est'?

Rado_ch, jrbiz and Content Maestro like this.
  20. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL...I am going into Boston for a meeting today and will be somewhat near Haymarket. Not sure if there are any Russian markets there, but will see...

jrbiz, Apr 15, 2015 IP