1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you still doing well on msn?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by crazyhorse, Jun 20, 2005.

1. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    LOl im still no where to be found for a couple of really competive terms. Im started to wonder whether a sitewide filter might have kicked in . I have added in the last month about a million forum backlinks all with the same anchor maybe that might have triggered a filter?

crazyhorse, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  2. E Doc Tong

E Doc Tong Peon

Best Answers:
    I went from #1 -> #2 -> #6 -> #7 -> #10

over the last 5 days

Luckily I just popped into the top 10 on google for the first time with the site in question. As always - my G traffic converts so much better. Having said that - it would be nice to have that #1 back in MSN....

E Doc Tong, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  3. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    It's all about the COOP.

I turn off the COOP, MSN hates me.

I turn on the COOP, MSN loves me.

Will.Spencer, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  4. BobL

BobL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of my sites has just bombed out of the top 40 to god knows where after showing a steady rise over the last month or so.

Another two though have maintained or slightly improved in rankings on their key phrases

BobL, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  5. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    I also vanished from MSN yesterday. Still not back today... I was getting almost all my traffic for that site too :(

JoeO, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  6. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    MSN seems to like the basic on-page SEO and anchor text. Make sure your internal links have your targeted keywords as anchor text. MSN seems to love that. I have been working on SEO for a site now for about 2 months and I have many top ranking terms for it.

Web Gazelle, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  7. morewords

morewords Guest

Best Answers:
    Several of my domains have dropped down on MSN over the past few days as well (to the point they can't be found).

The ones that got hit the worst were keyword1-keyword2-keyword3.com type domains (which were trivial to get to #1 before). Same for a kw2kw1.com domain (reversed keywords) which was #1 for weeks but now zapped.

One of the domains had many links from the link coop, others didn't, so that doesn't seem to be a factor. Even long-established domains with good content have dropped down from #2 to the teens.

One common factor: the domains with a *competitive* keyword in the domain name seem to do the worst. Another of my more "brandable" domains that doesn't have a keyword is keeping it positions (mostly), and other ones with unsearched-for keywords are OK.

morewords, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  8. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    morewords, now that you mention it, the same happened to me. My only site that took a hit on MSN was a keyword1-keyword2-keyword3.com domain. Although it is also my site with the most co-op weight behind it.

JoeO, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  9. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hell no, went from 20k+ pages indexed, to 9k.
    From 18k backlinks to 4k... ??? What is goin on?

(Also, my weight has doubled fairly recently, so it's like... as co-op weight goes up, MSN BLs and index goes down... It's very odd)

nddb, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  10. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    MSN is all over the place - within a couple of weeks I had a new page top of 200,000,000 last week, then drop.

Design Agent, Jun 21, 2005 IP
  11. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    MSN has been showing screwy results lately. Why should a site drop if I get more inbound links?

Web Gazelle, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  12. Shenoa

Shenoa Guest

Best Answers:
    There is a section of our site that is rather orphaned, and is not something we intended to promote on the SERPs. It was developed with the intent of offering it as a resource for our clients to link to in order to bolster the content aspect of their sites. Needless to say, this created a great situation in which we had tons of backlinks leading to this orphaned content. We made sure it had a link to our main page, and sometime later decided to implement AdSense to generate a little beer money.

I noticed a huge drop in traffic a few days ago along with everyone else. I wasn't really tracking this closely because it's not our main keyword area focus, but the MSN traffic went down by about 85% according to the log files. We don't have a domain with keywords in it, but the quantity of backlinks are very high from a number of sites which don't have a lot of prominence (we're working on that part of it!).

There are other keyword phrases that have stopped generating as much traffic, but the keywords that lead to this orphaned content have been very consistent until recently.

Shenoa, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  13. JoeO

JoeO Peon

Best Answers:
    My other site is still down, but another site I had almost forgoten about was making some money from adsense yesterday. So I checked MSN and it was #4.... It is using pretty much the same techniques as my site that dropped.

So in conclusion I have no idea whats going on ;)

JoeO, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  14. Jade456

Jade456 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dropped off the front page down to around 30 or so. MSN needs to do something, the results are horrible. The top site listed for our main kw has hidden text urls to doorway pages. :confused:

Jade456, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  15. rbfallon

rbfallon Peon

Best Answers:
    Same here, just dropped off of MSN big time, seems like they are following in Yahoo's footsteps.

rbfallon, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  16. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Co-op's "Charity" Ranking Experiment website just dropped out of MSN (and Yahoo)

maha, Jun 22, 2005 IP
  17. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    It looks like spammers may be getting an edge in both MSN and Yahoo, I still see lots of clone sites showing well in MSN.

Web Gazelle, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  18. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my sites just dropped from #7 on MSN, didn't find it in the top 100 results :/ My forums for the same site and keyword are ranked #70 now, while the index isn't even visible.

Hopefully they're just making some changes, I don't know what's going on. It seems to be some sort of penalty. I do have some sitewide ad links pointing to this site, no COOP though.

Sharpseo, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  19. seonewbie

seonewbie Peon

Best Answers:
    On MSN I have about 4 sites that are all keyword.com type domains and with a small amount of effort got 3 of them in top 5. Then, last week, my most competitive keyword site, which I just recently launched and was coming up fast, peaked at about position 23. The following day it was GONE from the listings. Then, over the last week, one by one, the other sites fell from top 5 to top 20, to top 100 and then off the list completely.

Any idea what's going on here? :confused:

seonewbie, Jun 23, 2005 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    We are constantly shifting back and forth between real estate related and web development related terms. One goes up, the other goes down. Right now we are #1 for " Real Estate Forum " but have lost our top position for " web development ".

Blogmaster, Jun 23, 2005 IP