1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you going to buy vista?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Nick..., Jan 27, 2007.

1. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Tempted to test new stuff, you know. But confortable with what I have so far as long as it doesn't cause troubles. I have to reinstall OS every 6 months to get the feeling of a fresh computer, otherwise you never know what gets hidden in there. Will probably have to test my computer for compatibility with the Vista before even thinking about buying a license but well, happy with my XP for now.

Clive, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  2. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    I might go buy it now actually...

mightyb, Feb 1, 2007 IP
    commandos likes this.
  3. justicewhite

justicewhite Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    justicewhite, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  4. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:

Imran, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  5. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Gosh! I wasn't trying to imply you were looking for a pirate copy of Windows Vista. :eek:

If you read the link(s) I have included in this thread you will see that Windows Vista is heavily engineered in favour of copy-protection and that people are currently experiencing difficulties using their legitimately purchased DVD's and that many, many more problems are anticipated.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/12/a_cost_analysis.html
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/juha/2105
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

My reference to Vista shutting itself down if it thinks it's a pirate copy is my fear that Vista users are going to experience severe issues, based on experiences of the Windows XP rollout and the activation problems users encountered then, especially if a script-kiddie comes up with a way to make the Vista OS think it is a pirate copy.

Windows Vista is going to cause users big problems - both with hardware and software issues over the coming months / years. I don't think it's worth it and I don't think Microsoft should have taken this step.

mcfox, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  6. john_nyc

john_nyc Active Member

Best Answers:
    we have the beta going at work and had MS come in for a demo of Vista and Office -- things is so sweet -- i will hold off at home until the bugs are discovered but it is impressive

john_nyc, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  7. imposter78

imposter78 Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, I will not buy it. It would require a new machine, and I don't see any benefits it would offer me over XP.
    I'm going to delve into the world of Debian and try Xandros 4.0 OC when it comes out for free :)

imposter78, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  8. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe dell are already selling all their laptops with vista standard. My mum just bought a laptop yesterday and she tells me it comes with vista.

Notting, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  9. nicolas9510

nicolas9510 Peon

Best Answers:
    i wont be buying it .. ever .. cause i can get it from school for free.
    however i wont be installing it, either sticking with xp or going linux sometime, jsut not using vista cause of the DRM infection problem it has

nicolas9510, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  10. DeViAnThans3

DeViAnThans3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll buy it, but not in the near future. I first want to wait a few months before buying, so that all major problems are already fixed :)

DeViAnThans3, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  11. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    nah i tried the trial version of vista when it was avail. for download on microsoft ... didn't really like the interface .. its so much like mac and i hate mac...

i m good with xp

smub, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  12. MHavoc

MHavoc Peon

Best Answers:
    Vista isn't really breaking any new ground.... for all the years in development, it's still bloat ware. I'm sure that in the future, I will be stuck having to upgrade because all of the other software I use will eventually recode for it. I know I sound like a Mac fan, but I'm not. It's just that with all the money Microsoft has, you would think the product would be absolutely stellar and it barely moves just a few steps forward and is trying to mimic Mac.

Needless to say, I will stay with XP for as long as I can.

MHavoc, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  13. kalle437

kalle437 Peon

Best Answers:
    No I wont buy vista. If I get the time to change OS on my computer I will certanly not choose a Microsoft product. I will go for Linux.

Kalle :)

kalle437, Feb 1, 2007 IP
    mushroom likes this.
  14. Bombaywala

Bombaywala Peon

Best Answers:
    I just thought of considering it but then after figuring out I need to purchase a new PC to run it - I am going for Mac for personal use and Linux for business related work. It is time I upgrade my PCs and boot M$ XP for good. And Vista is not in my picture for next few years for sure.

Bombaywala, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  15. mopacity

mopacity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually i prefer sticking with XP a little longer, it's kinda wierd Vista doesn;t seem to bother me at all, maybe let it go through the initial stage of problems before i buy.

mopacity, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  16. X-Aamir-X

X-Aamir-X Banned

Best Answers:
    I am going to buy Vista, later on, I think it looks like a fantastic product and it will produce the magic!

X-Aamir-X, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  17. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I bought one yesterday too. Had vista basic on it or something. I found vista extraordinarily tedious to use. It's like they think I've never used a computer before. Very irritating. Took me a while to figure out how to turn the stupid computer off without pressing a button. I'll stick with XP for a while; but the 3-d window thing on the better versions of vista looks pretty cool.

Anyone know; that if you upgrade from XP to vista - do you get a full version of vista? I remember that if you upgraded from 98 to 2000, you got a dumbed down version of 2000 on your computer and wasn't fully functional.

lorien1973, Feb 1, 2007 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  18. lumargin

lumargin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    waiting for about 10 months

I'm very concerned about the copy protection issues around it and compatibilty issues. Gone are the days I beta test every new bit of software from MS. XP seems to do the job well for me at the moment, so I'll stick with it.

lumargin, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  19. mightyb

mightyb Banned

Best Answers:
    They are selling academic version on ebay for 70% less that what you would pay in the shops here. Whats the catch?

mightyb, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  20. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    Generally they lack features that paid versions include. XP academic lacked remote desktop for one.

ArcticPro, Feb 1, 2007 IP