1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Torrent legal in US?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Sugavanas, Feb 6, 2016.

I am thinking about sharing some big files via torrents to my site's visitors. It will be on a private torrent tracker and the files will all be completely legal (not warez or films or anything like that).

So is it legal to have a private tracker and seedbox for the torrents in the US? Similar to a torrent site but where only legal files are shared (normal users wont be able to upload any torrents which could reduces the chance of any illegal activity).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Sugavanas, Feb 6, 2016 IP
  2. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Torrent its mean warez... That why US gov shutdown isohunt and their related...

And again, its all up to you...

robyries, Feb 6, 2016 IP
  3. Sugavanas

Sugavanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those are Torrent Sharing Sites made for illegal file sharing. But Torrent is P2P protocol and I am asking is it illegal when used for legal purposes.

Sugavanas, Feb 6, 2016 IP
  4. ramptar

ramptar Member

Best Answers:
    If you are sharing files that you got the rights to share it's legal.

ramptar, Feb 7, 2016 IP
  5. JedDan

JedDan Peon

Best Answers:
    Torrents are completely legal, but I wouldn't host anything in the US even if it is legal.

Don't host the seedbox and the tracker on the same server, you could setup a tracker on a small VPS and rent a seedbox from Dediseedbox for $15 per month.

JedDan, Feb 9, 2016 IP
  6. Chris Pembs

Chris Pembs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It depends on the copyright ownership status of the content that is being shared. If you own the copyright to the content then the sharing of that content is legal (regardless of the mechanism used to share it). If you don't own the copyright then you must get permission from the copyright owner to share it. Generally speaking, you will automatically own the copyright for anything that you have created, e.g. a picture you have drawn, a text document you have written etc.

Chris Pembs, Feb 25, 2016 IP