1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are there successful people in Internet Marketing Without a Mentor

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Jcblue, Feb 26, 2015.

Hello are there people like this. I want to try out internet marketing without having a mentor. Im reading from Newbie to Millionaire by Christine Clayfield .. Would I learn everything from the book?

Jcblue, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I am not familiar with that book, but no book will tell you everything. No one person will be able to tell you everything, either. A good book or a good mentor can get you started and hopefully help you to avoid many pitfalls, etc., but you will have to do most of the learning on your own by trial and error, testing different approaches, etc. DP members can also help when you have specific questions or problems or just need a sounding board to bounce ideas off of.

Just like you are an unique individual, your business efforts will be unique, too. Ultimately, your experience will be your best teacher.

jrbiz, Feb 26, 2015 IP
  3. Jelena Ostrovska

Jelena Ostrovska Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I haven't heard of this book. But in my opinion there is not such book that will teach you everything you need to know. Having a mentor is important if you're serious about your business. You need to have someone that is going to teach you and help you through the process.
    However, if you're not willing to learn, it most likely will not work. You have to be coachable. And of course, you need to learn, and take massive action!

Jelena Ostrovska, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  4. Curtis Dawson

Curtis Dawson Active Member

Best Answers:
    You don't need a mentor to be successful online. All the information you need is free all around the internet you just need to search for it. Pick a type of marketing you want to do such as bloging and affiliate marketing or content writing, etc. Then research how you can create your first website and get some hosting. It's not hard at all and there are a ton of guides. Then start researching SEO and how to gain rank in the search engines. Then you can move onto web 2.0 and social media.

Edit: Also, most IM Books that you will buy will revolve around the same things so I would limit spending on the books and spend more on URL's and Hosting.

Curtis Dawson, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  5. seosperm

seosperm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do case study on something that you like the most and understand it properly. Rinse and repeat.

seosperm, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  6. Curtisswn

Curtisswn Active Member

Best Answers:
    My best mentor is the one I see whenever I look in a mirror. Not to be glib, but a mentor can help, but he or she is just basically going to push you along, but again it all gets back to you. Be aggressive, strive for results, don't give up.

Curtisswn, Feb 27, 2015 IP
  7. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A very significant portion of marketing is networking. In a sense a good marketer has several mentors. Knowing who to go to in order help you fix a problem that would take you a lot of money or time to solve is extremely valuable. I consider people I know who are specialized in certain skills to be my mentors.

PDD, Feb 27, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  8. Jake The Competition Man

Jake The Competition Man Active Member

Best Answers:
    let's say the truth: nobody will tell you their keywords and their procedures. So they can help you to get started and learn the basic knowledge. In any case, learning this knowledge is a good thing because 90% of newbies in internet business world are totally unskilled.

9. angelica c

angelica c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why limit yourself!?
    We recently had such discussion in a near by thread, about mentor ship.
    Read many books, have many mentors! What can go wrong!
    Experience can never be downloaded from Internet!
    Also, you shall "collect mistakes", in such sense, you learn from the mistakes to make success!
    It's fine to make a mistake, just make sure you make each mistake only once!

If you think ONE book will do the trick, then you have a long way to walk, my friend!

angelica c, Feb 28, 2015 IP
  10. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd say that you'd eventually need a mentor to go to a next level - a mentor to guide, motivate and change your mindset.

It is definitely possible to do it yourself, but you probably have to take the longer path. There is synergy and power in working with people or in a group, and who you associate yourself with matters a lot!

The real learning is in the actions you take.

Just my 2 cents.

Ethan Alvin, Feb 28, 2015 IP
  11. angelica c

angelica c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Problem here is, the definition of "mentor" will be the same as the number of people you ask for the definition...!
    It seems like every person has the unique definition.
    For me, the mentor can be the friend. If so, then I may listen to this friend and select the topics. I don't need to ADORE and to LOVE my friend in all aspects, but a few! These I choose myself.

Usually many areas (many skills) can be combined. Not always, though.

12. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You're right. You'll have different mentors in life, not just ONE.
    As long as they can take you to the next level in whatever areas in your life, then I guess the definition holds.

13. angelica c

angelica c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No!!
    It's the whole idea with the mentor ship! YOU do the work, the mentor support you in this work!
    Eventually, you'll reach the next level... but it's all depend on you and your effort -- not the mentor!

14. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Haha I didn't know I had to state the obvious.

15. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    "Trial and error" can be and is the best teacher of them all if you have enough patience to keep going.

qwikad.com, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  16. Ethan Alvin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agree. I failed so many times before growing to the next level. In addition to taking personal responsibility, surround yourself with people whom you aspire to become! It is imperative to associate yourself with the right people.

Ethan Alvin, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  17. Chad Eztraffic

Chad Eztraffic Member

Best Answers:
    of course it is possible to succeed without a mentor BUT it would be a lot easier to have someone help you along the way.

Chad Eztraffic, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  18. fionix

fionix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are tones of successful people doung great in Internet Marketing and business. You need to work hard and do lots of research on what ever you are going to sell so you will get successful!

fionix, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  19. Resource9

Resource9 Member

Best Answers:
    As long as you know what SEO strategies will work best for your project, you don't have to worry about anything. It is important to work on the right keywords for getting the best results. Also, make sure that you meassure the work in terms of various aspects like traffic, DA, user engagement etc.

Resource9, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  20. Curtis Dawson

Curtis Dawson Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would guess that more than 50% of successful people on the internet didn't start out with a mentor. They did, however, start from scratch and tried things that they failed at and kept trying until they found something that worked and then just concentrated on that.

Curtis Dawson, Mar 2, 2015 IP