1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are the engines used by certain "types"

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by Kerry, Oct 25, 2005.

Are there any conclusions on the “type” of person who uses Google / Yahoo / MSN / Ect? Are Google users primarily shoppers? Are Yahoo users primarily researchers? Are MSN users recently incarcerated? :D
    Our website sells video equipment, we receive over 60% of our traffic from Google and less than 4% each from Yahoo and MSN. We rank similarly in all three engines for like keywords.
    I see threads reporting MSN brings great traffic or that Yahoo is the best. Could the people who say this have a directory or forum or how-to website?
    Do all on-line retailers find Google drives the most customers?
    Personally, I use Google for all searches, whether I'm shopping or looking for info.

Kerry, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Google users seem to be *smarter* than Yahoo!/MSN users :D

exam, Oct 25, 2005 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  3. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I would think MSN and Yahoo users are probably newer to the internet. Not because Google users are usually smarter, just because they don't know theirs something else out there.

mdvaldosta, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  4. jda

jda Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to disagree, I think that google users are most likely the newest interent users since Google search has the widest syndication (also powers AOL {for now}, netscape, and others). This is part of the reason that there is a alot of talk about who is going to power AOL's search, all of the search engines want to get these newbies and unexperienced internet users so that as they become experienced and move away from AOL they will continue to use the same search.

Personally I use Google out of habit, but have been trying to switch to MSN (call me an idiot if you must) mainly because MSN treats my site better and I think that I should use the SE has the best results - my site more often.

I really like this thread I'm interested to see why others choose their search engines.

jda, Oct 25, 2005 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My experience is that google (google.com) is used by the more techy types.
    Yahoo is strong for the shopping type.
    MSN is sort of like AOL in that people get on the service stay on the service - so again more shopping types (spenders)

debunked, Oct 26, 2005 IP
  6. Kerry

Kerry Grunt

Best Answers:
    Are there statistics that show how many searches each search engine performs each day? {please, no one suggest Alexa :p }
    Based on the traffic we see, Google must have 10 to 15 times as many users as Y! or MSN.

Kerry, Oct 27, 2005 IP
  7. jda

jda Peon

Best Answers:
    The more I think about this question... Google likely has all types of users. I don't think that saying Google has just techies is accurate at all. The fact is Google has done an excellent job of branding its search to the point where people don't even say "I'll look it up" they say "I'll Google it." Google may have started with Techies but now it's just a search for everyone. This was probabbly helped by the fact that Tech people fell in love with G and aided in its syndication by putting it on their sites, so Google really is everywhere.

As Far as the Comment about MSN and Y! being used by shoppers >> their may be some merit in that, but Googlers are shoppers too.

Taking Google out of the mix I still want to know why people use any other search engine. Any more thoughts?

jda, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  8. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do agree with that jda, I wasn't saying only the techies use google, I just think it is a much higher percentage.

debunked, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  9. Jade456

Jade456 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd have to agree. Google users can't be pidgeonholed into a certain demographic, especially since it was started gmail services and maps. Going public certainly helped expand its user base.

Jade456, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    According to Alexa Yahoo! and msn are the highest trafficked sites out there. The amount of email accounts, services provided etc adds up. I think a lot of people use their search function just out of convenience and laziness. Why go on Google when the search box appears right in front of you and on top of your personalized msn or Yahoo! homepage.

Blogmaster, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  11. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahh, but remember Google users (the more techy types) don't install the Alexa toolbar.

exam, Oct 31, 2005 IP