1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Spinners worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by WebBuddy, Jul 5, 2009.

?

Have you ever used an article spinner

Poll closed Jul 20, 2009.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    I do find that attitude confusing.

After all, when you have written a piece at a clients instruction, and handed it over, surely it becomes THEIR responsibility, including policing whether or not anyone is 'stealing' it? Maybe I misunderstand you, but it sounds as if (for example), you made baseball bats for a living, and spend an inordinate amount of time tracking down people who had purchased your bat, and then used it in a liquor store robbery. I can't really see what it would have to do with you.

Also, getting ripped doesn't seem to have diminished the value of the Mona Lisa, or Harry Potter books. Quite the reverse in fact. It shows exactly how popular you are, and you should therefore be able to RAISE your prices the more your stuff gets 'stolen'.

contentboss, Jul 9, 2009 IP
  2. comusher

comusher Peon

Best Answers:
    The spinners do create articles that pass copyright scans but they are terrible to actually read. I did not want to promote my site with such hard to read and understand material. It looks bad in my opinion.

comusher, Jul 9, 2009 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    ContentBoss, yes, you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about protecting work actually sold to clients, but protecting the work of my own (the work I monetize and use as platform pieces to attract the high-paying work), because if I don't, the appeal of buying the custom work diminishes.

You also can't compare services to products (especially in cases like Harry Potter, where there's far more to it than the books), and the Mona Lisa example doesn't really make sense (no one's trying to consistently sell the Mona Lisa to many members of a large market). The reality is that in the bulk of cases, overexposure is not a good thing for a service provider (when that exposure is given away at much cheaper rates than what you're charging elsewhere). I see it all the time when I'm working with new writers. They'll have a portfolio filled will cheap samples from either unknown webmasters, sites like AC, or ezinearticles, and they find out the hard way that those things can do more harm than good when their goal is to start getting into the $.xx - $x.xx per word range of professional writing. In order to make the change, they end up having to completely scrap their former image and portfolio to start over. And that's when they chose to over-expose at low rates. No one should have that forced on them, just because someone else thinks it's alright to be a thief.

At this point, this thread (which doesn't belong in copywriting anyway as per the sticky) is pretty far off track, so I'm closing it. As for the discussion on how a writer's value can be influenced by low rate and content ripping, I'd encourage you to start a separate thread (it's a good topic, that more folks here would probably be willing to weigh in on if it weren't buried in one about spinners). As for the OP, if your questions still haven't been answered adequately, please start a new thread to get more specific information, but start it in the most appropriate section as per the notes and links in the sticky thread at the top of the copywriting forum.

jhmattern, Jul 9, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.