1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Spinners worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by WebBuddy, Jul 5, 2009.

?

Have you ever used an article spinner

Poll closed Jul 20, 2009.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi,
    I am a freelance article writer (copywiter) and till date have done all my work manually ... even the rewrites requested by client (wonder if it is legal :confused:???? ).

Was wondering ... How do the article spinners work, I mean do they actually produce articles of any worth. ...??

WebBuddy, Jul 5, 2009 IP
  2. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are semi-automatic spinners and they do work properly, if the manually written sentences, used by such programs, are perfect.

parsibagan, Jul 5, 2009 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Since you asked, whether or not rewrites are legal depends on who owns the original content and where you live (even if it's legal where the client is, it's still illegal for you to create the rewrite if you live in the US for example).

If they own a PLR license, they can ask you to rewrite it. Same is true if they created the original and own the copyright. However, it's not legal to rewrite other people's content without their permission (like rewriting something from ezinearticles).

jhmattern, Jul 5, 2009 IP
  4. adbox

adbox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    What are some available spinners out there?

adbox, Jul 5, 2009 IP
  5. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    Which is why most rewrites tend to use material from multiple sources. Pretty hard to prove that copyright has been infringed when only one sentence in a 600 word article has come from someone else's article, and that sentence has been spun to 60% difference too. Proving derivative infringement is notoriously difficult, time consuming, and expensive.

contentboss, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  6. Blinker

Blinker Peon

Best Answers:
    The example of 'spinning' I saw from 'Content Boss', was only one step away from plagiarism. All that happened was the program had used the correct 'thesaurus' options, and the finished thing was merely another way to say the same thing. (Yes, I know this is what editing does, but as far as I can see, the best way to 'spin', is to do it yourself in edits. ) That way, you can make an article your own, and as long as you are only using researched facts, it isn't breaching copyright. So no, I think I'll stick to plain old fashioned editing and re-casting. It's easy enough with a word processor!

jj

Blinker, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  7. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Out of curiosity, is that your way of announcing to potential clients here that you're willing to break the law on the chance that you won't get caught (putting them at risk as well)? ;)

jhmattern, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  8. resaik_king

resaik_king Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used some spinner and its just a waste of time...

resaik_king, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  9. Megiddo

Megiddo Banned

Best Answers:
    Spinners can work, but the best thing is just to rewrite your own articles. Google will always find a way...

Megiddo, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  10. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tried spinning my articles ... seems like it is an useless method... I'd rather rewrite the articles if I really need to ... otherwise there is nothing better than original content :D

WebBuddy, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  11. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    no, we don't advocate stealing of any kind. Spinning your own articles, stuff that's out of copyright, PLR stuff, stuff that's in the public domain, stuff you have commissioned directly is the only sensible thing to do nowadays. That's how you get max bangs per buck, and that's what our tools help people do.

The reality, however, is that some people do 'repurpose' other people's content, so it's actually a fact of life for article writers. I should warn you now that what's coming up is improvements in AI tech so that any old piece of text can be re-worded and re-phrased in a way that is totally new and unique. Which is, of course, bad news for article writers who sell by the article, because once the 'hump' is out of the way, the cost per use drops dramatically - bits and bytes can be pushed around many orders of magnitude faster than a human can type or dictate. How do I know this? We've got one under development. It currently writes better than I do. Is it likely to be released soon? No. The server requirements are GIGANTIC. But then again, 5 years ago, a gig of ram was 'gigantic'.

To get back on track - there is no effective way to police this kind of thing - even if a.n. article writer went to all the trouble and expense of going legal on somebody who'd lifted their content, there are a 1000 more who are sitting on servers off in hong kong etc, where they can't be touched. And going nuclear like this over 500 words is... frankly optimistic.

The real solution for article writers is to 1 - stop worrying about stuff you're commissioned to write - it's going to get stolen, and after you send it to the client it isn't your responsibility anymore and 2 - stuff you write for yourself, make it hard to steal. Embed specific references in it that promote your or your sites so that even if it gets stolen, it still does its job for you.

Just my 50 cents.

12. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    I've never found it that difficult to go after people stealing my content. I've also never had to take it as far as going to court. I've had several sites completely shut down though, and have had others banned from Adsense, and had specific content removed. DMCA complaints are a wonderful thing, and even in areas where it's not applicable, it's fairly easy to hit them where it hurts (having them removed from search engines and eliminating their advertiser accounts and even private ad deals - killing their income and traffic sources). So I wouldn't assume it's easy to get around.

That said, demand for serious content won't be diminished by spinners of any kind. The reason clients pay the big bucks to pros varies from pure style to authority status - things a spinner can never become a substitute for. As for low-end Web content that's essentially useless anyway, it just might replace it. Then again, crap from one source or from another really won't change all that much on the Web.

13. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

What do you want a cookie ? ? ? ?

If youre that worried about people stealing your content then dont write any articles !

And if you must then just post an image overlay your real content then they will have to hand write everything . . . BUT I HATE TATTLE TALE PEOPLE . . . i have had people copy everything including my meta tags and leave the links that i was talking about my site in there for the sign up. But who cares . . . get a life write more articles . . .

locals, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  14. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Duh Jenn, 60% original--that's more than half! I know you are a writer, but can't you do ANY math?? :p

Y.L. Prinzel, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  15. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    also i thought if you change a certain amount of what ever it is. . . an image or content then it is not considered the same . . . FOR EXAMPLE WHERE DID YOU GET THE KNOWLEDGE TO WRITE YOUR ARTICLE ! ?

YOU RE-WROTE SOMEONE ELSES LOL !

locals, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  16. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Has anyone else heard the story about a student who wanted to find another way to write about the "tears" streaming down his face and, after consulting a thesaurus, decided to call them lacerates?

Also, for OP--if a client pays you to do a rewrite, you are doing the RIGHT thing by rewriting it without a spinner. You write your post as though you've been missing out by doing them "manually"--that's what rewriters do. If your client wanted an article spun, he or she could probably do that him/herself.

Y.L. Prinzel, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  17. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    While I disagree with your analysis of how easy it is to get content / sites removed (if it was that easy, there wouldn't BE any infringing sites, but unfortunately there are some REALLY lackadaisical operators out there, and plenty of hosts outside the USA, so good luck with that DMCA) I would agree that machine replacement of true creativity is a LONG way off. We won't see a silicon JK Rowling any time in the next 10 years. What ISN'T far off is the REPLICATION of creativity sufficiently well to be indistinguishable by 95% of the population. There are already Bots that knock out unique articles that actually look as if they've been composed by your typical $4 article writer. Like I said, don't expect a JK, but DO expect a 'Jeffery Archer'. And ultimately, it comes down to what's acceptable. A McDonalds, for example, is a sufficiently good replica of a hamburger to sell billions every year, even though it's basically a disc of shit in two other discs of foam rubber with a gherkin on top. Facetious, but perhaps you get the idea. If not, think about it again the next time you tuck into a delicious hand-made $20 Tootsie burger.

18. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I do not believe in article spinners. A piece of software cannot comprehend what an author wants or needs and can only substitute words or create random strings of words thrown together.

So the plain answer is 'no'.

sarah_harvey, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  19. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you have not found a good spinner . . . the fully automated ones, yes they are garbage !

But there are some that are PERFECT because the user has to do some work, but the end result is excellent !

locals, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  20. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    locals, I don't give a rat's ass if you hate "tattle tale people." How childish can you be? Hmmm, what's worse? Reporting someone for stealing from you and breaking the law (and taking it easy on them, considering I technically could have taken them to court), or breaking the law to begin with? If you choose to break the law, you don't deserve any consideration. You do, however, deserve whatever you get if you choose to steal from someone who actually protects their rights. And yes, I think I'll stick to article writing thank you. I make a rather nice living at it, precisely because people value the unique content I provide (and protect). It's also quite clear that you know very little about copyright law, equating facts and professional experience to rewriting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.