1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are paid directories worth it?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by plusplustutoring, Jan 6, 2010.

Are paid directories even worth it anymore? It seems that you can achieve the same result with free directories nowadays.

plusplustutoring, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  2. joelchrist

joelchrist Banned

Best Answers:
    Not at all. There are many free quality directories available on net, then what is the need to go for paid.

joelchrist, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  3. hyper

hyper Peon

Best Answers:
    If you own a business and you want to promote it, yes, it worth every cent.
    If you are a freelancer with an affiliate site trying to conquer the world, every FREE thing you might come across IS and WILL be the most preciosssssss for you.

Most of the free directories are whored out with spammy submissions where people submit blindly without even looking at the right category or not, etc. Not to mention the quality of the website submitted for review... and also not to mention that on a free directory you don't get a review... you simply get included in most of the cases.

Just as in life... you could always take the bus, but a limo driver (the paid submission :p) would be better.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    hyper, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  4. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if there is a directory which is fully paid and quality links then maybe otherwise no

Bohra, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  5. djmayne2001

djmayne2001 Peon

Best Answers:
    To some degree yes. I try to find ones that are relevant to my sites sector and look at the type of sites they are linking to. Its only worth using ones that have a certain level of quality. Would not focus all your efforts here however.

djmayne2001, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  6. humm

humm बहादुर बच्चा

Best Answers:
    Use the search function, this topic has been discussed many times.

humm, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  7. zebno

zebno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes paid directory worth more if there is a good editor behind who never allow crap sites to get in...

When it came to free directories in most of the cases they are auto approved or thends to approve every ridiculous site without even checking it.. so as a result you get your site listed among tons of spam sites which ultimately harm your search engine & PR ranking.

so the conclusion.. Paid directory is much better if it is well maintained with quality sites..

zebno, Jan 6, 2010 IP
    Agent47 likes this.
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you have a budget, yes they are indeed worth it.

pipes, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  9. Una

Una Peon

Best Answers:
    Think about it like this, every cent spent in marketing is a cent well spent... so yes, it is worth it but if you have just started promoting a site/service/product I suggest you start with free article directories. And no... not all free article directories are auto approved.

Una, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  10. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely it is worth it. There is no way you can get a quality (premium) product if you are not paying for it in some way. There are always addon benefits to getting a paid review for your site to be listed in a directory.

Ibn Juferi, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  11. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    If the directory ranks in Google for some of the keywords on the page where you'll be listed (and is related to your site) then it's worth the money to pay for a link. You'll get some traffic from this type of listing, but most importantly you'll get a huge bump in the SERPs from this type of listing.

freelistfool, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  12. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With most free directories allowing bulk approval and not being maintained, you really think they can deliver the same result compared to a well-edited, well-promoted paid directory? Good paid directories are better maintained and thats why they are still sought after by good SEO companies.

alistair80, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  13. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Today, in 2010, I don't know. Maybe...

I do know that five years ago my traffic took a big jump after I submitted to a few quality, paid directories.

Jim4767, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  14. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    It doesn't have to be paid directory.
    Free directories (some of them) will do the much better and you don't have to pay anything.

For example, if you search G. for free animal clubs you will find our directory category
    that related to animal clubs subject on page #1 but no paid directories insight for miles.
    Why would you pay for inclusion in directory that has no SERP value?

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  15. enQuira

enQuira Peon

Best Answers:
    For that specific keyword, you are right, a link in that page of your directory is better than a link from any other paid directory (my opinion). However I am sure that there are "few" other keywords for which other paid directories have better serps than yours. Otherwise you would have much higher traffic to your directory.

This was my opinion even during the PR craze days.
    A better way to assess the quality of directory links

enQuira, Jan 6, 2010 IP
    fastreplies likes this.
  16. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, and you compete with a million junk sites which have no value. Or you can pay and have your site outshine above all of the delusional people who think they can be successful without spending a penny.

David26, Jan 6, 2010 IP
    CReed likes this.
  17. usapatriot

usapatriot Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on how much you have to pay and the quality of the directory. $10 or $20 for a permanent link on a well established directory isn't too bad.

Directory links may not work as well as before but it still helps a little.

usapatriot, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  18. ideadom

ideadom Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely, because they are giving you more relevant, good-neighborhood backlinks and their owner's care abour reputation and being online long-term.

ideadom, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  19. MikeTheBuilder

MikeTheBuilder Peon

Best Answers:
    I can only name a few quality free directories, but my preference is a quality paid directory. Some of the finest directories are the fellow directory owners whom which offer good knowledge on this site.

With a paid directory like many have said, your paying for a good editor and a directory that will remain in good standing.

I'm not saying all paid directories are good, believe me, I see a lot of scammers trying to peddle off dropped domains.

MikeTheBuilder, Jan 6, 2010 IP
  20. onlinemarketing1

onlinemarketing1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe your site can be approved faster by using paid directories. However, there are many free and quality site directories, so I think we don't have to use paid ones.

onlinemarketing1, Jan 6, 2010 IP