1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are "Layers" good for search engine spiders?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Googles76, Dec 23, 2004.

I have aquired new software, dreamweaver mx, and decided to redo my site in this program since I heard a lot of good things about it. Anyways I am using A LOT of layers with this program since it seems like the easiest way to build a site with it. So I'm wondering how do search engines like google react to layers? If I use a lot of layers (a lot as in I use a new layer for each text object, each image, etc..) will that hurt my ranks? Or are layers fine?

Thanks.

Googles76, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  2. dustin

dustin Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there is some kind of javascript 'layers' that can be used. Is this what you are talking about, or is it just some special dreamweaver tech that they have called layers?

dustin, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  3. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think its java script, the code looks like this:
    <div id="Layer4" style="position:absolute; width:269px; height:29px; z-index:4; left: 472px; top: 245px; color: #0033CC; font-weight: bold; font-size: 18;"><u>SELECT WEIGHT TRAINING TOPIC</u> </div>
    Code (markup):

Googles76, Dec 23, 2004 IP
  4. Auberdahn

Auberdahn Guest

Best Answers:
    Div layers are fine...it is HTML. You should keep the style and content seperate however by using CSS.

Auberdahn, Dec 29, 2004 IP
  5. blueuniverse

blueuniverse Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, in my experience it is usually better to use layers over tables (and a combination of css, as having all the style values just there defeats the point) as not only is it XHTML compatible but it also lessens the code used. This makes pages smaller which makes it easier for spiders to get to the content and also speeds up loading time.

blueuniverse, Dec 30, 2004 IP