1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Directory sites are Dead

Discussion in 'Directories' started by rajendarb, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    That's what moderation is for... ;)

Right now 75% of this site is populated by crap posts from 2-3 rather heavily populated regions... Most posts are in Engrish and meaningless. Is what it is.... VB should come out with a filter for Engrish so those subscribed that do not want to see this crap posts can completely avoid them.

Mia, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  2. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree Engrish is best for direcorie but any high pr is better for accept.

syted, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    ^ funny! :)

Mia, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't want to discriminate by region, as there are amazing people everywhere, but if you don't account for spam possibilities, quality is clouded.

dvduval, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  5. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like they are growing :(

Fair call. A filter that auto-deletes any misspelling of directory or directories or reciprocal, etc would be brill!

Nothing can replace good moderation though...

hahahaha :p

silencer, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Sure, I meant no disrespect with regard to geographic region or culture. However, given the larger population base both in those regions and here on DP, the law of averages dictates the quality of posts is going to be much worse over time. There's really very little denying the low quality posts coming from spammers and post padders and the direct relation to geography.

;)

Mia, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Heck, if you wanted to ban folks from the region of the world responsible for the greatest amount of crap posted virtually all over the web, you would probably have to delete around 75% of DP's membership.

YMC, Dec 18, 2012 IP
  8. AlexFerdinand

AlexFerdinand Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are many directories that had been switched off but still more active ..
    So do not worry routinely wrote checks
    Thank you ..

AlexFerdinand, Dec 24, 2012 IP
  9. MarkLee743

MarkLee743 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No not dead quality directories are still live.

MarkLee743, Dec 26, 2012 IP
  10. sweetdreamFac

sweetdreamFac Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    They're not dead yet but I think they're not getting popular now.
    Many had changed now and marketing strategies are getting different as well.

sweetdreamFac, Dec 26, 2012 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think what is dead is the notion that a directory will some how instantly catapult your PR to the moon. Did not, does not and will never happen.

It is however a pretty key ingredient in an overall link strategy that should be comprised primarily of tools specifically designed to help drive traffic to one's web site.

Mia, Dec 27, 2012 IP
  12. Lidiya

Lidiya Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think they're dead, but not a lot of people visit them except to submit their site.

Lidiya, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd say this is probably relatively accurate. To be honest, I think it's been about 15 years since I used a directory to find something.

Quite possibly I don't understand the directory industry... But personally, I just don't see the value in them as an end user. In the last 10 years has *anyone* here been like, "I need to go to a directory to find a site about xxx." Imagine if you had to find stuff in Google via a directory structure and you couldn't search.

As a site owner, I also don't really see a point in them because why would I want to be spending time submitting to directories that in the end yield (what I presume) is more or less no traffic. The only directory I've *ever* submitted anything to was DMOZ (and that was probably about 10 years ago), and then afterwards I realized my site was already in DMOZ before I submitted it... so it was an exercise in pointlessness.

Can someone please explain to me the value in a directory (from any point of view... end user, site owner or even directory owner)? I'm actually not being facetious either... I really think there is something I'm not understanding.

digitalpoint, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  14. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directories are dead is a big thing to say. Directories no longer have the past glory might be appropriate.

traxport121, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  15. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of a directory's usefulness depends upon how tightly controlled the categories are and how well-written the descriptions are. Problem is many directory owners do not maintain either their categories or their listings.

The advantage of a well-run directory is that a third party is writing the description. For example, when's the last time you searched for 'free images' of anything? How many of the for-pay stock photo sites come up in the results? They are certainly not free but they certainly optimize for 'free' related phrases. Everyone knows that iStockPhoto is a pay site, yet it comes up for almost every search for free images of ___ in the natural results.

My niches are littered with crummy MFA sites that are extremely thin on content but are operated by more experienced SEO'ers than the good sites. Quite often useless articles like "Making Christmas wreaths is a great family activity." will outrank a site with a wonderful tutorial on how to make a beautiful wreath. Even after Penguin, many sites in my niches continue to reap the benefits of high rankings they do not deserve.

A well-run and respected directory can easily send a site thousands of highly targeted visitors over the years. A good niche directory can see far more non-submitting traffic than submitting traffic - I know one of mine does.

I suspect that once a directory is established as a reliable source of site information by Google, it does help a site rank for things. Google has been saying for years that a well-run directory is a good and valid source of backlinks. Problem is that there are so few directories that are well-run.

YMC, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  16. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I just checked Google Analytics... for the 4 DMOZ entries we have for digitalpoint.com, they yielded a grand total of 46 visitors in the last year. Certainly not enough traffic to warrant spending 1 minute of your life on.

There also was 10 from forums.dmoz.org and 6 from blog.dmoz.org (whatever those are).

digitalpoint, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  17. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    From a "web user" perspective, directories are dead, except for some business ones (but even then, things like Google+ Local are making them more redundant by the day). For general content, there are other (and better) ways people are curating content these days (for example, Storify.com, Squidoo.com, etc) that fit in with the modern "social media" trend, if you're looking to use something different to Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Blekko, etc.

ryan_uk, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  18. sadim hosain

sadim hosain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    no,directory are not dead at this moment.

sadim hosain, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  19. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Perfection is often strived for and never achieved.

I would say that digital point has been developed well and done exceptionally well over the years. Is there spam, yes but nothing can stop that totally. Sounds to me like Shawn has taken measures above and beyond with out of the box coding end moderating to try and mitigate it.

One should not forget that directories get hit by just as much spam if not more than a forum does. I was getting murdered by spam submits til I had a third party programmer come up with a solution to mitigate the problem.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    swedal, Jan 5, 2013 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Number one way to eliminate spam submissions to a directory is to charge a fee to list. ;)

Mia, Jan 10, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.