1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are .co.uk as good as .com?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by hajamie, Sep 2, 2005.

Are .co.uk as good as .com or would google only show them to uk searchers?

hajamie, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Nope, they will be shown to all.

yfs1, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  3. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    In SEO terms, they are identical (unless someone searches for "com", "co" or "uk"). A UK TLD does get your site included in local results for the United Kingdom, even if your site is hosted elsewhere, so one could even argue that the .co.uk is a better extension.

In terms of value if you're looking to sell the domain - the .COM is definately worth more in the vast majority of situations.

norfstar, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  4. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Reply I don't think its just the fact they're co.uks that get them listed in the local sites, its the content as well. I have lots of .coms with UK specific content that show up equally high in the 'search UK only' option.

Dio, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  5. norfstar

norfstar Peon

Best Answers:
    In local searches, you're either in or you're not. There are other ways of being included (hosting in the UK is another), but what I'm saying is that having a UK TLD is one of the ways.

norfstar, Sep 2, 2005 IP
    SaN-DeeP likes this.
  6. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It'd be interesting to see if the opposite worked as well, taking a co.uk and filling it with content about the US and hosting it in the UK. I wonder how well that would do? :)

Dio, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  7. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    perfect answer, reps added to this.

SaN-DeeP, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  8. Charlatan

Charlatan Peon

Best Answers:
    yep, i prefer .co.uk cos they're cheaper :)

Charlatan, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I try to buy the co.uk & the com, with the com 301'd to the uk domain. woks like a charm and always has done. Anyone who types in the com extension gets the site, and the search engines get the right geo info.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  10. hajamie

hajamie Peon

Best Answers:

If a .com finds it harder to rank in a google.co.uk search, won't a .co.uk find it more difficult to rank in a google.com search?

hajamie, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  11. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    No it doesn't work that way. google.com is a generic worldwide search engine, it is non geographical. Of course it is harder to rank in the .com over one of the local versions by sheer weight of numbers.

The simple way to look at it is that you might be the fastest runner in your street, and the guy next to you the fastest in his. Neith you nor he can be the fastest runner in each other streets as you do not live there. BOTH of you have the opportunity to be the fastest runner in your village/block though as it is open to all the streets there.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  12. sparkimarki

sparkimarki Peon

Best Answers:
    I suppose it depaend on who your target audience is - or rather where. If your market is uk I would suggest your main promotion is with a .co.uk extension. As an earlier poster recommends I would support buying the .com as well as the .co.uk ALWAYS! If your site becomes very successful you'll wish you had done it at the time.

Good luck.

sparkimarki, Sep 6, 2005 IP
  13. Old Welsh Guy

Best Answers:
    And when some bugger registers the other version and sets up a site in competition to you, you will rue the day you saved a few ££'s on the domain name. If I am launching any serious site, I will make sure I have the co.uk & com versions, including the hyphenated and non hy6phenated versions.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 6, 2005 IP